Kroger Reviews

2.9
1,614 Reviews

Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, working to serve the people of your own community and friendly coworkers (in 73 reviews)

• Paid holidays (4 hours) & paid vacation available for part time (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough because I had to work a different schedule every day/week (in 50 reviews)

• Krogers way of cutting out full time, long tenured workers who have given them 20-30 (in 93 reviews)

More Highlights

very good

Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Bahlāna
    Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Bahlāna

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

highly motivated place to work

Cons

too much interferece of top management

improve

Get experience if you need it and leave promptly.

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Lexington, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Lexington, KY (US)

I have been working at Kroger part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can build customer service experience here in college (then leave to find a better "entry-level" position). Being a cashier here can improve your people skills. This job looks helpful or decent on a thin resume. After you're in the union (45 days), it is not easy to fire you. If you're in the right area you can work with some nice people. Some departments may be enjoyable (such as stock).

Cons

Kroger doesn't care about its employees. The union does nothing for people who actually do their job. Raises are strictly time based. Starting at minimum wage (new cashier or courtesy clerk), you get your first $0.10 cents raise at six months. After that your next raise is at a year. Praise is very scarce and little rules are often nitpicked (or encouraged to be by upper management). If you start as a courtesy clerk (bagger/cart boy) you have to beg for cashier, which would be fine if it functioned as a promotion but it sadly doesn't. After you're given cashier you get the next paygrade up in the union handbook (very likely ten cents). They can also make you a dual bagger/cashier. If you make supervisor you also get no raise. Vacation benefits and holiday pay are nonexistent until a significant amount of time at the company (over a year).

Management is also abused and disconnected from their associates. Due to this disconnection, middle management (supervisors and leads) runs the show and are often incompetent because the only credentials they have are that they've been there long enough to require being given their turn at lead or supervisor.

You need to stress competence and praise based raises to bring out the people that are excellent at their jobs. Working here is sadly a grind because you go nowhere unless you stay for a very, very long time. This especially clashes with modern culture when you employ mainly college students. Training is played fast and loose and seems to never be reviewed.

Customer 1 Satisfaction

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at Kroger part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Kroger is the second leading grocery distributor under Walmart. Seeing that they only specialize primarily the distribution of food products, that is very impressive. A reason for this is because of their customer 1st orientation. Because the employees focus first on customers, the relationship between customers is mutually better. Obviously there are always angry customers, but the co-workers are all really nice.

Cons

It's good for experience and first jobs. The pay is a little lower than when working in a hospice pharmacy. It is hard to get a raise if you are part time.

Store Management

Current Employee - Store Management in Louisville, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Store Management in Louisville, KY (US)

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and compensation package

Cons

Holidays and long work days

It was a wonderful first job

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk

I worked at Kroger part-time

Pros

not as competitive as some places, so thats refreshing. seniority based employees and union. It was a great first job for me. You get to meet wonderful people. have a fun outgoing lightly physical job.

Cons

Pay is not good. not very flexible scheduling. always dealing with managers trying to be friends and make you feel guilty for needing time off.

The management tends to treat younger workers like they are children being policed by parents. a lot like a daycare. otherwise its a good place to work.

Great company

I worked at Kroger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Treats company well. First job I had where the main store manager was professional and down to earth.

Cons

Inventory and back of house would sometimes be a mess.

Good starter job.

I have been working at Kroger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good healthcare, union protected job, flexible hours, able to advance in company,

Cons

management is not fair to everyone, hard to get rid of people that don't do their job, computer generated schedules suck

You should listen to your employees more.

All and all a good place to work

I worked at Kroger

Pros

the kroger i worked at was very tight knit and they were very warm and welcoming. I liked it there

Cons

the insurance was good as a hourly but awful as a salaried employee.. I could not write my own schedule

Okay,But could be better

Current Employee - Bagger
    Current Employee - Bagger

I have been working at Kroger part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employees are really friendly which helps out alot. You can meet alot of cool and funny people.
    some of the customers are great. Some are really friendly and are great to talk to.
    constantly busy I like being busy to a point,so you can't really get too bored.

Cons

Pushing carts! It gets really hot outside and you can be out there for over an hour.
    Pay kinda low. For all the work we do I don't feel compensation is fair
    short breaks. I was outside pushing carts in the heat for almost two hours and only recieved a 15 minute break,and then I was sent right back out.
    Baggers get over worked and you are at the bottom of the totem pole. If you stand still for longer than a second you will get yelled out. You are constantly being pulled in eight diffrent directions at the same time;they expect you to do everything!

Allow longer breaks.

Fulfilling

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Kroger part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexibility & benefits for part-time associates.

Cons

I don't have any cons. It's a great place to work.