La Madeleine Reviews

2.3

Jean-Roch Vachon

Okay company.

I worked at La Madeleine part-time (less than an year)

Pros

50% off on products and food.

Cons

Low pay. Bad management

Horrible management

Former Employee - Bakery in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Bakery in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at La Madeleine full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay, and working conditions (aside from verbal abuse)

Cons

They do not care about your physical needs. They WILL schedule you for four doubles in a row.

Care about your employees

Great company with lot's of growth!

Current Employee - Manager in Bethesda, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Bethesda, MD (US)

I have been working at La Madeleine full-time (less than an year)

Pros

New cafe openings offer plenty of room for advancement, good benefits, work life balance, and corporate is very supportive.

Cons

Plenty of room for advancement but that depends on the person.

The company is progressive and I like the direction it's headed. Keep taking care of people and the business!

Great company and work atmosphere!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at La Madeleine full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Positive working environment where it feels your input matters. Good benefits to include medical, dental, vision and 401k. Seems to be promotional opportunities and room for growth within organization. Leadership is involved and has a passion for the concept. Understanding of work/life balance. Fantastic 50% discount!

Cons

Due to the rate the company is growing there are growing pains associated with getting processes streamlined and most efficient. I feel this will eventually work itself out.

Good place to grow as a young person getting into the workplace

Former Employee - Associate (Summer Job) in Katy, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Associate (Summer Job) in Katy, TX (US)

I worked at La Madeleine part-time (less than an year)

Pros

My general manager, Tara Macias, cared about me as an employee; at the same time, though, she pushed me and my coworkers to constantly try to perform in the best, fastest, most efficient, and customer-focused way possible. Interesting people to work with - smart college kids who are going places make for interesting conversations; assistant manager from Ivory Coast brought French language to the workplace.

Good leadership opportunities by getting trained to do almost everything, and the longer you're there the more responsibility you are given.

I watched people advance from associate to manager during the time I was there, and I myself grew from simple line positions to managing the bakery over a short period of time as I got better at my job.

Cons

Sometimes felt like I had a hard time being proud of the food I was selling, because the prices were high, for the quality that the company offered, compared to other nearby places.

Occasionally an older coworker would behave inappropriately, coming on to other coworkers, but if it ever were to get serious I knew I could always simply talk to my manager.

"French" culture/atmosphere felt kind of fake and stilted when all the cooks were hispanic and only 1 manager was familiar with French culture.

I became more and more loyal to you when you gave positive feedback and criticism in a constructive way, so keep doing that.

There is a ton of paperwork to do at the beginning; perhaps consider saving paper and using an online service to have employees sign and read forms at home when onboarding.

La Madeleine is Complete Garbage

Former Employee - Cashier/Busser in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier/Busser in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at La Madeleine full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice co-workers, and decent pay.

Cons

prices and quality of food really sucks, most of the trainers are full of them selves and talk trash about you and others when your not around. Roaches were seen constantly by men and when i notified the managers they didn't do anything I kept seeing them esp. at night. Also a lot of BS and empty promises, I was told i was going to be given a raise and never got one (later found out that multiple people were promised raises and never received anything) and was also told i'd be cross trained and never was i got trained by asking the other employees and by doing it myself. Management likes to treat employees as if they're better than them, and that the employess are just a bunch of retards.

Open your eyes to whats going on in your stores and start treating your employees better. stop lying to them as well, if your not going to give them a raise or advance them don't tell them you will.

Working for the La Madeleine Company was the most disrespectful and belittling expierience of my adult life.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at La Madeleine full-time

Pros

Upon applying for a position at La Madeleine I looked forward to the steady pay and the warm environment.

Cons

The management system is in disarray. The revolving door approach to in house management creates an atmosphere of distrust. Without having expierience with employees every few months you are once again being treated as a new hire by the newly adjusted manager.

Individuals rise to the level which is expected of them. Transfer more responsibility to hourly employees and scale back the micro management and you will encounter a happier more engaged group of employees.

abusive upper management and long hours

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at La Madeleine full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

hard working managers and employee at the restaurant
    growing company
    good food and discount

Cons

upper management only cares about the bottom line and profit ..
    rude abusive district managers that will verbally abuse you and a HR department that will never back you up .
    They promise job advancement but you better be ready to kiss up and be a favorite for that to happen
    they work you very long hours and no help is given if a manager is out.
    With this company there is no work-life balance even if they say there is .
    There are no staff and the few they have are overworked.
    Used to be good benefits but the company has gotten cheap

You need to visit your stores and really see whats going on. You should talk to your managers and employees and find out how you're failing them
    You should give help to the stores when they are short staffed and management are out or sick

My worst job so far

Former Employee - Cashier in Flower Mound, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Flower Mound, TX (US)

I worked at La Madeleine full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, the customers weren't bad, the head manager was the sweetest manager I ever had, the work wasnt terrible, they were not under staffed

Cons

assistant managers ignored employee input on anything, employees harassed me on a daily basis, equipment constantly broke, food made me sick every time I ate it, dishes were never clean and the cups always had lipstick stains on them, pastry case and dish washing station both had mold and were never cleaned

when several employees say they've seen mold around the restaurant your response should not be "nope youre wrong" and do nothing to even investigate, also when you see harassment happening its unprofessional to sit back and even join in

Pastry associate

Former Employee - Pastry Associate
    Former Employee - Pastry Associate

I worked at La Madeleine part-time (less than an year)

Pros

None other than a 50% discount

Cons

Before hiring you they tell you that you will recieve great training and tell you what the hours are which work great with your schedule... once they hire you they put you with people who dont want to train you and dont care if you succeed and the hours are different than what was said. They lie to get you on than do nothing to keep you.

Give proper training