LanguageLine Solutions

LanguageLine Solutions Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

LanguageLine Solutions President & CEO Scott W. Klein

Scott W. Klein

Pros:
  • "I learn something new everyday; very rewarding helping others; work from home; little supervision"
    in 45 reviews
  • "You get to work from the comfort of your home with flexible hours"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor pay, Bad management, Unreachable, No benefits, Hard work and no support in any means"
    in 21 reviews
  • "No benefits, no paid vacations, no sick days , no reimbursement exempt"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

You have to be objective

All Call Spanish Interpreter (Current Employee)
Heredia (Costa Rica)

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI've been reading some of the reviews and have to say that I am satisfied with my salary, of course one always wants more money but I think people have to look at the big picture. I have been working for nearly 10 years now and can't really complain, my schedule is perfect and money is nice, you have to learn to be patient though, I mean you can't expect to make the same amount if you're just starting out plus they don't require any sort of degree or experience to hire. I don't know how they do it now, but I did get a pay increase when I became an all-call interpreter, plus I have three different bonuses that I get every month, plus they have over time bonus for those people who can put in overtime. granted the ot bonus is not year-round but when they offer it I take it, plus we have access to private insurance. Some of the problems people have mentioned (no vacation or time off pay) sadly you have to partly blame your state laws. Costa Rican law states that you are entitled to 2 weeks paid vacation, first three sick days you get paid half a day per day before social security kicks in, 4 months full pay maternity leave and a Christmas bonus equal to your average monthly salary and if you are willing to work the graveyard shift, it means a 30% rate increase so like I said, can't complain. Now I have the pleasure of working from home with very little supervision plus an extra bonus to help pay for my internet service.

The job itself although stressful and mentally exhausting is wonderful and interesting, plus you learn something new everyday, even after 10 years on the job! Some calls are very difficult because they can be rather long or audio won't be so great or maybe you have a rude client, but hey that happens everywhere.

ConsEver since I started working from home the cons have considerably decreased. Let me explain, work environment was a big issue for me, some of the supervisors tended to not be nice or very understanding at times. There were a couple that were always late, did minimal work and could be just plain lazy, that was very frustrating, at home, I can't witness that so it has given me peace of mind to just do my job.
The "offices" in Heredia are awful, just a modified hangar/warehouse that houses some offices and about 120 cubicles, it could get really bad sometimes because there were too many people and not enough space, I'm guessing by sending a lot of interpreters home they have relieved some of that, but I still think that the place has just plain gotten too small and old.
Cubicles are downright ugly, but not all of it is the company's fault. Sadly you can see graffiti on a lot of them, broken chairs, scratched computers and keyboards, it's very difficult to do maintenance when employees don;t take care of their place of work. It's a team effort and neither the company nor the employees are doing their part.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more in touch with your employees, try to listen to what their needs are, for some people something as simple as having free coffee or tea, would make a world of difference.

Reviewers are too critical and unreasonable

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

ProsAs my subject title indicates. But training pre-hiring is good.

ConsReviewers are way too difficult. It seems like they had to pick on something or else they are not doing their job.

My experience was good; though, the HR department was unorganized.

Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee)
Monterey, CA (US)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for less than a year

ProsVery team-oriented environment. Everyone was nice, for the most part. Extremely lax work environment.

ConsComputer applications were old. Rely to heavily on contract workers. Salaries low.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove HR department.

Very low pay, no flexible scheduling, poor benefits

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

ProsYou get to work from home

ConsVery low pay, no flexible scheduling, poor benefits

A horrible company...don't work for them!

All Call Spanish Interpreter (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsYou can work at home. That's about it.

ConsEverything. Terrible pay, horrible benefits, if any. Intentionally sabotage employees, as an employee they make you feel completely undervalued and unappreciated. I came to work for this company when my old company was purchased by this one. The company I worked for previously paid me much more money and had a much more professional interpreter protocol. As soon as they became my employer, they lowered my pay little by little as their own employees were only paid minimum wage. They also would monitor interpreter calls, which is not uncommon in the Telephonic Interpretation industry, and is usually helpful in that it gives the interpreter positive feedback and also helps focus attention on areas that need improvement. But THEY did it in such a way to try and literally sabotage me in order to find a reason to fire me, as for whatever contactual reason I made more money than what they normally paid their interpreters and I was eventually let go for extremely minor mistakes. I now work for another telephonic interpretation company that is much more professional and I relish the fact that we have recovered many of our previous clients from Language Line. But Language Line is still making life difficult for competing companies in the state of California as they would like to monopolize the industry. I have nothing but utter disdain for this company and strongly discourage anyone from working there unless they are desperate for a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementWow, where do I begin? I don't really think any advice would help. I don't think they care about their employees at all and are not interested in recruiting or compensating highly skilled/trained, quality Interpreters. Just interested in finding cheap labor.

Incompetent managers, uneducated staff, no company-wide communication

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsDynamic, growing field. Decent benefits.

ConsNo culture of growth, no transparency by management, a company populated by small thinkers who don't work hard instead of working smart.

Advice to Senior ManagementCultivate talented, intelligent individuals, foster a culture of recognition for high performing employees

no appreciation

Interpreter (Former Employee)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros- Working from home which cuts down commuting time and expense
- Work/Life balance is good since schedule is set
- Little or no supervision
- Reimbursement on phone line

Cons- No vacation, no holidays (preference is submitted and you don't know if you are off on selected holiday until the schedule is issued), no sick days, only unpaid time off
- With the unpaid time off, you can't really get the days you need off because only certain hours can be taken off from interpreters and you don't know if allowed time off hours are included into you shift. If those hours are not in your working shift, you can't use your unpaid time off, which will result you to submit a ticket to get a day off with unexcused absence.
- Temporary schedule change is possible, but it is almost impossible to change it due to "business needs"
- Call after call, after call, after call.
- Insurance benefit is given but very expensive, very limited coverage (useless)
- Low pay, you can't live with the wage they pay. There is no room to increase your wage, no bonus.
- No room to grow your career. HR has mentioned that there are reimbursement for interpretation certifications , but only to find out that such program has discontinued a long time ago
- At your anniversary, you are given a hand signed letter from CEO. (If it was meant to be encouragement, the corporate has it completely wrong. It only made me feel as if the corporate is making fun of me - "OO! we don't even pay you all that much but we will give you a letter that our CEO kindly hand signed!! how exciting!!!")
- No office supply given. Interpreters are required to take notes and write down all the phone calls received. It may not be a big amount, but interpreters are responsible for that cost.
- Limited english speakers not only lack the linguistic ability, also they lack a lot of basic knowledge. Later on, language barrier isn't the only problem, rather the fundamental issue is that limited english speakers don't even understand when you interpret for them.
- Angry limited english speakers will try to tell you (interpreter) about all their problems and try to say bad things about the client (English speaker) as if they want you to be on their side to defend them. At the end of the day, you don't feel like you are an interpreter.
- No human contact. You are alone for the whole time you are working. You don't even know who are your fellow interpreters. A lot of times you need your colleagues to talk it all out and encourage each other, but you don't get a chance to meet or talk to others.
- Lack of consistency in programs - some newsletter was supposedly sent every month, but that disappeared. E-mail accounts are given but is not used all that much. Inefficient training is given here and there.
- Intranet will crash all the time when intranet is pretty much only source of communication with this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company would be nothing without interpreters. However, appreciation to interpreters are so little to non-existent. Please look after your interpreters, appreciate them, and at least try to care for their needs so that interpreters can be motivated to work for LanguageLine Solutions. Interpreters are absolutely crucial to this company.

This company provides a necessary service in a very professional manner

Spanish Interpreter (Current Employee)

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Prosoffers work from home option

Consvery hard to get a change of schedule

Advice to Senior Managementprovide incentives for long time employees as well as raises

Prompt response time.

Spanish Interpreter (Former Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions part-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent training. Good response time.

ConsGetting stuck on calls. Assisting with the community.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible with time schedule for part time employees.

Worst Employer I've Had

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time

ProsPeople will pretend to be nice to get knowledge out of you

ConsThen dispose of you like leftovers
Pay you very little
Only promotes the buddies and brown-nosers
Poor leadership
Poor management
Overpriced service but the people who do the work don't get their share

Advice to Senior ManagementIf it's possible to replace management, then it may get better. Try and care about the people you employ and not just people friendly with you. Not everyone is a talented brown-noser. Judge based on talent and skills and contributions and don't take someone's credit and give it to your own friends and pretend they did the work or came up with the ideas.

Worked for LanguageLine Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at LanguageLine Solutions reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for LanguageLine Solutions CEO Scott W. Klein. All 90 reviews are posted anonymously by LanguageLine Solutions employees.