Life Time Fitness

Updated 29 October 2014
2.9

Life Time Fitness Chairman, President, and CEO Bahram Akradi
Bahram Akradi

Pros
  • You get a free gym membership to a great facility and good benefits (in 50 reviews)

• I loved having a free gym membership for myself and a deep discount for my spouse (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • You will work long hours especially if you are a Personal Trainer (in 38 reviews)

• Upper management isn't in touch with the problems within the club (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Personal Trainer

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great company. Amazing benefits. Managers can be great, and willing to work for you if you are willing to dedicate the time to learn from them. This is by far the best place to work as a personal trainer, and you can make more money here than most other high end fitness facilities. Excellent education and high expectations of personal trainers. Leadership structure is good. Learn from everyone you can. I met some very good people and great friends at Life Time. I learned a lot about myself, and I really miss working here.

Cons

Sales goals are high, which is not a negative if you understand this is how you make money. You better figure out on your own or by asking your managers how to hit those targets. There is plenty of training for this, unless you let your ego get in the way of learning. If you don't continually hit your sales goals it will wear on you quickly. You are expected to learn and grow, and contribute to the department. If you have a independent contractor mentality, you will not mesh well with the team or management. Unless, of course, you exceed your sales goals each month, and in that case Life Time will be happy. They may also ask you to help develop other trainers who are struggling. Many people struggle with work/life harmony here. Get your workouts in, work the other 8 hours of your day. Eat healthy. Get enough sleep.

Invest in your team. Understand how to motivate different individuals and learning styles. Be patient in your team members. An employee may be slow to start with sales, but in time they may end up being your most prized employee. Turnover can hinder team cohesion and individual growth. It effects so much. Cohesive teams stay together longer, and this is how you create your own legacy. Build a solid foundation.

COOL BEANS

Current Employee - Lifeguard in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Lifeguard in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Out in the sun. Super chill. Supervisors are really cool. All was good in the hood.

Cons

Make sure you wear sunscreen or else you'll get sunburned and then die. That's no fun for anyone. protect yo skin homeslice.

Bistro Team Member

Current Employee - Life Cafe Team Member in Syosset, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Life Cafe Team Member in Syosset, NY (US)

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time

Pros

flexible work hours, free gym membership,

Cons

Management can get a bit unorganized

Fun to work for and a decent job for a high school student

Former Employee - Child Center Team Member in Schaumburg, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Child Center Team Member in Schaumburg, IL (US)

I worked at Life Time Fitness part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free membership, Fun atmosphere, Free membership =P

This was a good job for when I was in high school. They offered flexible work hours. They didn't hassle you about switching shifts or time off by making you first ask a supervisor or some other things I have heard employees do, we just had to put our hours in a book and hope someone signed up for them.

Cons

The pay was pretty low $7.50 ... even for a high school job that was pretty low in my area. But since I was just doing it to get some money for leisure it was fine.

"Great experience for the most part

Former Employee - Front Desk Reception in Richfield, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Front Desk Reception in Richfield, UT (US)

I worked at Life Time Fitness part-time (more than an year)

Pros

friendly staff exercise for free, gain knowledge and health in fitness and diet

Cons

keeping up in class

Keep up good work

Overall a good experience

Current Employee - Swim Instructor in Lawrenceville, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Swim Instructor in Lawrenceville, GA (US)

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I loved my coworkers and my work environment at lifetime, and I was compensated fairly for my time. The kids are great and lifetime's swim program is very well structured.

Cons

There was an overall like of communication in the aquatics department and I would sometimes show up for shifts to find out they had cancelled my class so I was there way to early. Also the few times I was sick and tried to call in, it was a battle to get anyone to answer the phone. I also had a ridiculous commute to this job which wasn't great when my lessons started disappearing in the winter.

Great company that gives you TONS of personal fulfillment, but could afford to invest more $$ in employees

Former Employee - MSDH
    Former Employee - MSDH

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

STUNNING facilities, wonderful people, great core values, free daily dose of endorphins (people working out all around you, it's just in the air!), easy to transfer departments, or clubs, you get to build great relationships with staff and members, and you get to work out for free at any facility!!! You grow to want to spend more time there because of the people you work with and the positive vibes.

Cons

Vicious cycle: corporate expects rock star candidates, so you hire rock star candidates but can only pay them peanuts, so they leave, and you're left with the people that don't give a care, and you have to start the whole process over again. High turnover was my nightmare as a manager. I had a great GM, Regional and AD who supported MSDH's paying quality people higher wages based on talent and experience, which allowed for a longer term and more fulfilling employment relationship. Attrition shouldn't just fall on the MSDH, the retention bonus structure isn't realistic to achieve, so people start getting 'creative' with numbers.

If you want quality people to stay long term, pay them a realistic wage, including your managers. Invest in them, and they'll invest in you! Stop allowing MEA's to turn and burn, make them more responsible for attrition, don't let it all fall on the MSDH.

Overall a positive experience but must be self-directed and hungry to establish leads

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Much higher price point than the average training facility.

-If you work extremely hard (I might add that being a personal trainer might be better suited to single person), the dividends can be rewarding

-Unlike many gyms, LTF offers between 19-22% commission on each sale you make on your own. Starting out, if you get just a little support from mgmt and generate your own business you can make upwards of $1,700-$2,000+ per paycheck

-Pretty good medical and dental insurance as well as 401K 6% match

-Ability to network with people who have alot of connections in the community

-When you're doing well, you can pretty much come and go as you please

Cons

-In order to be very successful you must make an inordinate amount of sacrifices, including your work/ life balance

-New trainers receive very little support from mgmt in the form of leads

-A very salesy gym. LTF offers their own products which, as a PT, you're required to buy into and sell even though many of them are a gimmicky waste of money. But this is all part of the Lifetime "Results Based Culture" malarky. One of the reasons I left was because I never fully bought into these overpriced protein powers, dietary supplements and lab tests.

-You'll start off the first few months with very reasonable goals. My advice to any new hire would be to not "overperform" because if you knock the ball out of the park repeatedly, management will anxiously raise your goal so that your obliged to hit #'s that can become urealistic and if you miss the mark a few times they'll put you on this nonsensical performance plan which outlines things you need to do or they'll release you.

-Over time you realize that you're not getting out what you put in. I prospected thousands of dollars worth of training business in the 2 years and 4 months I was there but got next to nothing in return. The department heads take all the promising leads themselves and take them through the hyper salesy process, inducing them to buy crap they don't want or need.

Put more stock into personal trainers or "fitness professionals" who have proven themselves to be worthy of business by getting clients and retaining them. From a cost standpoint, it makes more sense as well because you won't need to waste money sending new people to certification somewhere and paying for they room and board for a week.

Nice company to work for.

Current Employee - Member Engagement Advisor
    Current Employee - Member Engagement Advisor

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere to work in. Great members who truly care about their health so it makes it easy to help them in their pursuits. Free membership and they want and encourage you to work out on the clock.

Cons

Quota driven. Majority of your time is spent making phone calls to people who have been called many many times. Long hours minimum of 50 (10 hr days) and longer at the end of the month.

Life Time provides employees a great workplace full of opportunities for upward mobility. Complete offerings of benefits for full time employees.

Current Employee - Department Head in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Department Head in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Promotions come from within, benefits, opportunity for financial growth.

Cons

Hours can be long, commission earnings are not for everyone.