Linear Technology

Be The First To
Add Photos

Linear Technology CEO and Director Lothar Maier

Lothar Maier

Middle of the road company to work for.

Maint Tech (Former Employee)
Camas, WA (US)

I worked at Linear Technology full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood pay is par to industry averg. Benefits are good. The profit sharing varies, but it is one of the best that I have seen.

ConsManagement is very difficult to work with. Lots of micro-management, and CYA. It seems like they are all weaving blankets to cover their butts. Will not listen to the front line people. No work/life balence skills what so ever. So jobs have very limited opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower the front line people, listen to what they say.

Great company if you value stability

I have been working at Linear Technology for more than a year

ProsLow pressure office atmosphere and always surrounded by very intelligent people. If you like a no no-BS kind of workspace then this is it. Attrition is also very low as they value their employees.

ConsSeems to be perpetually stuck 10 years in the past when it comes it infrastructure and IT. They may make some of the highest performing analog ICs in the world but software and IT are definitely not up to snuff for a midsized company.

Advice to Senior ManagementModernize internally. It will help productivity greatly.

good work place for new grad.

Applications Eng (Former Employee)

I worked at Linear Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Prosmany experienced design engineer in the company. strong in technology and team spirit.

Consflat structure, little growth room for career path.

Advice to Senior Managementtime to change in a dynamic market. old principle worked 20 years ago may not work today.

Consistently stable

Design Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Linear Technology full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSolid in most areas. Good engineering talent especially in Design and Applications. Can be financially rewarding and job security is good. 4 or 6 week (depending on position) sabbatical every 5 years in addition to normal vacation.

ConsCompany culture is somewhat stuffy, especially considering that it is a high tech company. Company tends to really adhere to the phrase "do more with less".
Demanding.

Industry-leading OTJ in Power Electronics

Applications Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Linear Technology full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompany is very conservatively run with predictable and stable performance even in tough economic times as these. Highly intelligent, capable, and experienced R&D/factory engineers interface with industry-best global field sales teams. Business units and shallow internal hierarchy fosters easier inter- and intradepartmental cooperation.

ConsBase compensation is sub-par, sometimes leading to lowered morale & motivation. Benefits and amenities are seen as mediocre, with the occasional accusation of the company being "cheap" at the expense of comfort and even functionality.

design engineer

Desin Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Linear Technology full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLinear as a whole is well managed. Good business model, high profit margin. Good quality control in matured product lines. Not necessary high tech.

ConsNot every group's performance can meet Linear's standard. There are still poorly managed, low productive groups eating company's profit.

Advice to Senior ManagementEach product line manager is an anchor. with Linear's money, a superstar should be hired as the anchor. An incompetent manager is unlikely to hire good engineers.

awesome place to learn analog IC design

Intern (Current Employee)
Milpitas, CA (US)

I have been working at Linear Technology full-time for less than a year

Prossmart people
relatively flat management hierarchy

Consno work from home for interns !

Little incentive for growth or advancement

I have been working at Linear Technology full-time for more than 10 years

ProsProfit sharing in the range of 20-30% twice per year. 6-8 week long sabbatical every five years.

ConsNo incentive for growth. There are very few management positions available, especially for women. It's basically a boy's club. The hiring structure is focused on bringing in design engineers (99.9% male). Everyone else is looked upon as catering to the design community, and as such, not valued. The structure of the company is scattered. There is no centralized IT. Each department fends for itself.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company has millions it could invest in its employees, yet it sits on the cash, year after year. When we ask for anything extra, like a gym, basketball courts or even a couch in the women's restroom, the answer is always 'no', in spite of the wealth of cash on hand this company has. This year, in spite of how well we're doing, our annual salary increases were decreased to 4% maximum (down from 5%). Sabbaticals every five years and the 20-30% profit sharing bonuses we receive twice yearly are not enough to address the growing morale problem that exists company wide. Management needs to loosen the purse strings, provide some incentive for advancement (especially for non-design, non-male employees) and realize that the 'supporting' departments are just as vital to the company's well-being as the design department is.

Bitter Sweet

Marketing Distribution Specialist (Former Employee)
San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Linear Technology

ProsGreat benefits
not a lot of over time
low stress

Consvery narrow window for growth
all men in management
low pay
little support from managers
no structure
suggestions and comments are not welcomed

Advice to Senior Managementit's not like they care or would even consider what anyone has to say. Why bother?

Amazing company

I have been working at Linear Technology

ProsResults and income are tightly related

ConsVery flat org and noone leaves so very little advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

Worked for Linear Technology? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Linear Technology reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Linear Technology CEO Lothar Maier. All 40 reviews are posted anonymously by Linear Technology employees.