Linear Technology Reviews

47 reviews filtered by
3.8
Linear Technology CEO and Director Lothar Maier
Lothar Maier

Definitely Not Your Average Company...

I have been working at Linear Technology full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Among the highest compensation in the business, possibly the best profit sharing anywhere. As in average of 30 to 40%. Work with some of the brightest engineering talent in the world. Design Engineers get to take their product from initial design through production release. Are also held accountable every step of the way, so you need to do more than "design."

Cons

Very high pressure / stress atmosphere. Very little positive feedback. Little comeradery, not much in the way of team atmosphere. Work-Life balance nonexistent. Lateral transfers strongly discouraged. Unless you are a workaholic, I advise getting in, making some money and learning what you can, then get out before you take too much damage. I would advise 5 years max, take your sabbatical and use some of the time soul-searching and checking out the job market.

Advice to Management

Management does not "take advice."
    If they did I would say find some ways to incorporate even a little bit of team building and work-life balance. It could just pay off financially.
    Update internal procedures / processes to the 21st century. The company has become too large to continue doing things "because we have always done it this way and it works"

2. I'm pretty happy here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA (US)

I have been working at Linear Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Low turnover, nice profit sharing payouts (2x/ year, over 25% the last couple of years), 1.5 month paid sabbatical after 5 years, above average medical/ dental plan design with low monthly contributions, 4% raises each year (most companies in the market are between 2.5-3%), No BS culture straight forward/ direct, performance focused, most managers are honest/ fair and will vouch for their employees/ department, good people, stable company

Cons

Employees tend to want to retire here which is a good thing but also makes it difficult to move up the ladder. Old school mind-set "if it doesn't break it doesn't need to be changed", no frills (no free food, gym, etc) but it's not that important, you need to speak up if you want something (management doesn't give it to you, you have to ask for it)

Advice to Management

Be open to newer ways of operating (less paperwork more online)

3. Strong company

I have been working at Linear Technology

Pros

Good working environment, with good people. Well established compmay

Cons

Very old school work environment

Advice to Management

Change in certain processes

5. Good benefits but awful office culture

Current Employee - Employee in Camas, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Employee in Camas, WA (US)

I have been working at Linear Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous benefits. Great opportunities to learn interesting new things and do satisfying day to day work.

Cons

The company operates like it's still the early 90s. Huge reliance on paper. Old tools that go down to maintenance far too often. A lack of meaningful automation to help operators.

The worst part by far, however, is the upstairs management. At first the idea of Linear being a place where lots of family and friends work sounds great, but it's pretty clear that everyone knows each other far too well for management or HR to feel comfortable making any decisions. Arguments or HR issues will go unresolved. There is very much a culture of "deal with it" in regards to problems that arise, which only makes the work feel more and more toxic as time goes on. Employees who have been with the company long enough are essentially invincible.

Advice to Management

Make operators and employees who have problems feel like they've actually been listened to. It feels like there's no way to get help with a problem at Linear.

6. Not A Company You Can Happily Work For. Very Stingy And Old-fashioned Style Of Management

Former Employee - Failure Analysis Engineer in Milpitas, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Failure Analysis Engineer in Milpitas, CA (US)

I worked at Linear Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Profit sharing scheme pays good (twice a year).

Cons

Salaries are lower due to profit sharing.

Advice to Management

Be more open-minded and accepting to new ideas

7. Stable company

Current Employee - Product Marketing Engineer
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Engineer

I have been working at Linear Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

LTC has great engineers to work with.

Cons

LTC is very conservative and pragmatic

Repetative

Current Employee - Operator in Camas (Indonesia)
    Current Employee - Operator in Camas (Indonesia)

I have been working at Linear Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The bennies....401k, vision, dental, medical, profit sharing.

Cons

Unintelligent people. Lack of authority.

Advice to Management

You need to get the people that do not know what they are doing out of there and get some people who know what they are doing and can perform.

9. Great place to be

I have been working at Linear Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Well managed Company, great respect for people, smart management, no politics … just biz oriented, focus on profit

Cons

none, everything is perfect as it is

Advice to Management

keep going this way

Associate Design Engineer (Lab Super-Tech)

Current Employee - Associate Design Engineer in North Chelmsford, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Design Engineer in North Chelmsford, MA (US)

I have been working at Linear Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love it. Designers are very smart and good to work for. No politics, no games, no bulls*. Management focuses on high value, long life, high performance parts and has a long view. What a refreshing change from other short-sighted tech companies! Yes, there have been shutdowns but it sure beats getting laid off or working insane hours like most other companies handle downturns. A very broad based product line is also a pleasure to work with, it means there is no such thing as one big stumble that kills the company. I've learned a lot here and never want to leave.

Cons

None. This is as good as it gets.

Advice to Management

Keep it up guys, I want to retire from LTC.

Shut down after shut down

Current Employee - Mixed Signal Test Eng Manager in Milpitas, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Mixed Signal Test Eng Manager in Milpitas, CA (US)

I have been working at Linear Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good technical people
    Stock USED to be good - but not anymore.

Cons

The management STILL think they are running a startup and they are doing everyone a favor by letting them work there. The still think everyone there will get rich and work them hard.

Those same technical people are very arrogant. Coupled with a CYA environment it can be very frustrating to learn since they'll jump all over your but if you admit you don't know something.

Profit sharing has been decreasing ALOT. I remember when it went as high as 68% but now it stays in the high 30's. Not good. Especially with the lower salaries.

Old equipment. Mgmt is good at encouraging employees to save money. In the past that effort was rewarded with higher profit sharing. Nowadays, there is no incentive to slog through using old equipment and making my job tougher. Especially since I'll never benefit from my effort to save money.

Very little opportunity for advancement.

Mngment has given up ALOT of business and the company has had slow growth.

Things they say in EVERY quarterly meeting:
    1) Keep your nose to the grind stone!!!! -- (so mngmnt can benefit while the workers are stiffed)

2) Wall street doesn't like us but they'll soon see how good we are --- It's been over a decade and wall street hasn't noticed yet. WTF is mgmnt smoking?!?!?!

3) Let's keep costs down --- So mgmnt can benefit while they keep lowering profit sharing?