Lockheed Martin

Lockheed Martin Reviews in Houston, TX US

Updated Jul 08, 2014

Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson

Marillyn Hewson

Pros
  • This is really a wonderful place for a working mother - great work/life balance (in 201 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedules for many a real plus (alternate Fridays off) (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on the program your work life balance can suffer (in 46 reviews)

• This is a large company with all the usual shortfalls of management (in 68 reviews)

More Highlights
38 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to learn and work with

Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsPlenty of experience working with hands-on engineers and managers

ConsA little slow and bureaucratic.

politics

Business Development (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

Prosopportunity to develop into new markets

Conspolitics, too much inward business and not enough outward business, no cross division culture and joint ventures despite platform technologies

Advice to Senior Managementspend more time with your customers, sense the opportunities

Sucks the life out of you

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsThere is an undeniable thrill at the thought of working for Lockheed Martin, one of the big folks in the space industry. The people are generally really good people. The company--depending upon WHICH division you work for--can treat their people poorly. They are very flexible for work hours which is wonderful and they don't generally micromanage, another major plus. But overall, within a small number of years working here, the life will be sucked out of you, as will your love and admiration of NASA.

ConsTheir salary rating is a joke. They have a comp ratio system. Let's say your pay range for your job title is 50,000 - 70,000. If you are making near the 50k, you 'compensation ratio' is low, so you'll get a raise every year, usually. If you are at 60k then you're at the middle of your pay range and your comp ratio is 1, therefore, unless you're absolutely effing spectacular, your raise is zero. So how is this the middle of the 'payrange' when you pretty much can't get past the halfway point. And that includes no cost of living increase so you actually end up making less...

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery division has different benefits and if you're in one of the 'poor' companies, its very demoralizing. And the comp ratio brilliance is just flat out insulting.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a job

Administrative Staff (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsEstablished in the Space Industry. Flexible schedules. Great emphasis on health and benefits are comparable.

ConsNot much information on job opportunities, old school attitude, don't like change in process, Management not very employee oriented.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange management that can can not work well with employees. There was too much emphasis in the status quo. More clarity could be brought towards job opportunities.

9+ years, straight out of colllege... Great start; Great company

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsVery diverse environment and great place to learn. There is a great work-life balance and flexible hours.

ConsNo upward mobility. There is a lot of process and documentation that you must go through to get the smallest things changed, although the processes that needs changing, is to better process improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like for management to have some type of idea of what tasks and daily processes the "worker bees" complete. We are judged by performance against our peers but if management doesn't have an idea what you do (besides what you tell them) how can they fend for you to get a raise when they are just reading your words.

Not a very nice place

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsBig environment means better chances to change assignments.

ConsToo much paperwork. Indifference to workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementHard to change such a big place.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good people, boring job.

Property Analyst (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsDecent pay and good benefits

ConsBoring, redundant job, space industry is hit/miss nowadays

Great workmates

Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsReally smart and friendly people, great paid and benefits. Good place to get a lot of technical experience in the field.

ConsThe managers are not always very comprehensive in terms of finding optimal solutions. Lots of politics involved unfortunately but it is still a great company.

Lockheed Martin Development

Finance (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsExpose and responsible for a number of task with a high level of magnitude.
    assortment of departments to get different perspectives of company
    developmental/leadership programs for those who are seeking to become a leader

ConsDifficult to receive a promotion
    lots of politics involve like any other large corporation

Advice to Senior Managementstart recruiting leaders at a younger age

FDOC contract

Senior Project (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsLarge company with lots of opportunities

ConsNot very loyal employees, FDOC contract has lower standard benefits! High insurance costs

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!