Lockton Companies

Updated 25 September 2014
3.8

Lockton Companies CEO and President John L. Lumelleau
John L. Lumelleau

Pros
  • Good hours, people, work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Lockton is a fun, fast paced work environment that allows you to set your own career path and goals (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nonexistent for employees in a supporting/shared services role (in 10 reviews)

• No opportunity to work from home or remotely, even just occasionally (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Company believes in their Associates

Current Employee - Content Design Specialist  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Content Design Specialist in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic company. Recently found myself feeling stagnated in my current role, and received an incredible amount of support and encouragement to start searching out a role that would be a better fit. This company believes in working hard and playing even harder. If you put in the effort you will be rewarded.

Cons

Definitely can feel like a heavy workload from time to time. You can sometimes feel like you don't have a lot of direction, but Lockton believes in testing you and making you earn your keep.

Intern

Current Employee - Intern  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Intern in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Lockton Companies as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Fantastic company culture. My entire department was very willing to take the time out of their busy schedule to help me grasp the basics of the insurance I was involved in.

Cons

Still very much feels like an "Old Boys" club. Most of the associates (what they call their employees) are white with very little diversity mixed in.

Project Coordinator Role

Former Employee - Project Coordinator  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Lockton Companies full-time for less than a year

Pros

The project coordinator role or "PC" is the entry level position for a typical college graduate at Lockton. It is a great role and if you do do well you can advance quickly to a Account Manager position or "AM." Lockton offers great opportunities and training programs and has a great team atmosphere. At the Los Angeles office the majority of departments are very motivated and work well together. If you are still in school I would recommend first checking out Lockton internships to get a feel for the company. One of the best programs that Lockton offers is their Associate Account Manager program. The "AAM" program is a fully paid program and you switch with various teams and learn with experienced account managers. This is very similar to going to school and you receive on the job training.

Cons

The work life balance is average and is similar to most insurance carriers and big brokerages. I would also like to point out that each team is a different world and there are "better" teams within Lockton in terms of training and work ethic. I felt the PC training was very little and I feel that that PC's should receive more in depth training. This will result in better insurance knowledge and growth. Also, I recommend for all recent PC's to take lots of notes and be prepared to do lots of Excel work.

The Lockton Los Angeles office overall, is a fantastic work place and you will learn a lot about insurance. I recommend that the PC's receive more in depth training, I feel this will result in a better more knowledgeable associate. I also recommend for upper management to listen to any Lockton employee complaints. I felt at times many high position people got away with very rude behavior. If you feel something is wrong in your team do not be afraid to report to HR.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a good place to start your career

I worked at Lockton Companies

Pros

biggest privately owned insurance broker worldwide

Cons

very cheap salaries and little to no room for advancement

Injury Counselor

Current Employee - Injury Counselor  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Injury Counselor in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, great company, competitive, great managers, professional atmosphere.

Cons

Sometimes heavy on work load, other times not enough to do. Still there are opportunities to work on projects and classes when not as much to do.

Keep up the good work!

Work hard and get reward, but do something wrong and get let go with no warning

Current Employee - Associate Account Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Lockton Companies for less than a year

Pros

paid training, benefits, and opportunities to involve yourself at work and after.

Cons

no direction, strict management, fire easily

Listen to your associates and interns; if we are to be the face of the company sometimes compassion and adaption to different needs can grow the strongest of candidates, however letting others go without warning is a way to keep people afraid of taking risks and moving forward with growth opportunities.

Best place to work ever.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It is a family owned company and they treat all of the associates here like family. Even during the hard financial times a few years back when there was a lot of layoff's in Kansas City, Lockton did not lay anyone off. They prefer to retain the associates. There are not many companies in KC much less the US that look at the associates that way.

Cons

IT doesn't get yearly bonuses

Restart the bonus program for Shared Services

Would recommend to others.

I worked at Lockton Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Culture, training, reputation - at times, you may forget you're working for a fairly large corporation.

Cons

Compensation, promotion - it's a bit of a luck of the draw situation with regard to which unit you work for, at least in the KC office.

Subsidize the weaker revenue units so that they can cultivate talent as best they can.

I interned at Lockton for two summers and left with valuable experience and strong ties to the company.

I have been working at Lockton Companies

Pros

Lockton does a lot to make new employees feel welcome. Coworkers go out to happy hours almost every day. Lockton is a fun, fast paced work environment that allows you to set your own career path and goals.

Cons

The pay isn't great, but other than that nothing really to complain about.

Work hard, play hard

I have been working at Lockton Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Challenging work. Company is positioned well in industry and dedicated to hiring talent. Community oriented

Cons

Finding the work-life balance can be difficult.

Lockton Companies Photos

Meeting Room

+ Add Photo

Worked for Lockton Companies? Contribute to the Community!