Louisiana Tech University

Louisiana Tech University President Dan Reneau
Dan Reneau

I was a student here for 5 years

I worked at Louisiana Tech University

Pros

They have a very good graphic design program. The teachers have a lot of experience in the design world. The campus is very nice.

Cons

The job fairs have no companies there looking for graphic designers or artists of any kind. It is mostly engineering and business degrees they are there for.

Small but very active university

Current Employee - Post Doctoral Research Associate in Ruston, LA (US)
    Current Employee - Post Doctoral Research Associate in Ruston, LA (US)

I have been working at Louisiana Tech University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Inter disciplinary programs help for research.

Cons

Too much bureaucracy, no tuition waivers for grad students

Try to remove red tape, make things simple. Also please provide tuition waivers to grad students

Good working experience

I have been working at Louisiana Tech University

Pros

There is an opportunity of having good career research.

Cons

I don't see any cons working at this place.

Very flexible, with a great opportunity to network with important people.

Current Employee - Student Technology Assistant in Ruston, LA (US)
    Current Employee - Student Technology Assistant in Ruston, LA (US)

I have been working at Louisiana Tech University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Point of view of your employers is to put school over work. Plenty of time to proritze what you need to do. Great entry level experience for people looking to start on their careers early.

Cons

Some days are hectic and busy at the job.

Good environment, great people, state higher education budget is awful, and the technology infrastructure is unusable.

Current Intern - Student Worker - Software Developer in Ruston, LA (US)
    Current Intern - Student Worker - Software Developer in Ruston, LA (US)

I have been working at Louisiana Tech University as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

The people are great, the program is great (at least Engineering/Science and Business are), new companies are coming in to work with professors and students, and by all accounts the university is growing and improving.

Cons

1) It's in Ruston, LA. which is a small town in the South.
    2) Any online system is ancient, unreliable, and borderline unmaintained.

Start a campaign to increase state higher education spending; update your technology.

Great place to work, great environment and lots of growing opportunities.

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Ruston, LA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Ruston, LA (US)

I have been working at Louisiana Tech University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Overall, great quality of people you'll have to deal with.
    The university is expanding, and there are many opportunities to move up as well.
    Ruston is a great place to raise a family.

Cons

Ruston is located in the middle of the Bible belt, therefore is not a party school.

Management have to actively listen and respond to the faculty/student body in their demands to better the school.

Tech was a great place to work and study!

I worked at Louisiana Tech University

Pros

As a graduate student, studying/working balance was a big issue. The department leadership was always encouraging and accommodating. I learned a lot while I was there both as a student and as a GA.

Cons

Tech's email system was annoying. The university allowed way too many departments and groups to send out university wide announcements.

Keep up the good work!

Avoid coming unless you have family in area or are hired in Engineering or Business Depts.

Current Employee - Instructor (Liberal Arts) in Ruston, LA (US)
    Current Employee - Instructor (Liberal Arts) in Ruston, LA (US)

I have been working at Louisiana Tech University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Students are very sincere and respectful; great colleagues; small-town living (if that's your thing); everybody knows everybody (if you like that); mild winters (one to two ice days per annum)

Cons

No raises or cost of living adjustments since 2008; cost of living is high (don't listen to what administrators tell you); can't survive on one salary except perhaps if you're alone and don't have to travel (ever) or if you're a coach or Engineering prof; expect to send kids to private schools and pay dearly; no proper daycare facilities for the very young - have to pay for in-home sitter if you don't have relatives available; significantly lower expectations of student capability (despite what they tell you); too many overpaid administrators; promises (even those in writing) are forgotten; easy to get stuck here (who's going to hire you in future, especially if you have tenure?); hot, humid summers that last from May till almost November; no major shops - no mall - in town except for Wal-Mart (and with our workload you can't just drive to closest 'major' cities on the weekend to shop

Give us cost of living adjustments (to compensate for shrinking salary since 2008) and well-deserved raises! The cost of living has steadily increased since 2008 (when we got our last raises) and our salary is now a joke. We only work for benefits, but even those are deteriorating. We can blame Jindal for much of it, but our university seems to be doing well enough for us to, at the very minimum, receive the 12%+ cost-of-living adjustment that we need to survive.

For Tech to be a University, they're extremely inefficient.

I worked at Louisiana Tech University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are great co-workers and bosses, they are relaxed and generally very friendly. Everyone gives the feeling of Southern hospitality.

Cons

The University uses outdated and inefficient methods of communicating, is not exactly environmentally friendly, there are very few opportunities for advancement and Tech lacks diversity.

Your employees are often over worked and underpaid. Consider the work load you are putting on employees without additional compensation. At times it can be unnecessary.