Lowe's

3.3 3,708 reviews

Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock

Robert A. Niblock

(1,388 ratings)

Pros
  • They have very good benefits to help in this rough economy(in 228 reviews)

• Good opportunity for advancement if you are truly hungry to have a career(in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience, this has been made up for with the work life balance(in 69 reviews)

• You can't keep a steady sleep schedule as a part-time or full-time employee(in 150 reviews)

3,708 Employee Reviews

Working at Lowe's

Various (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA (US)

ProsLowe's is a stable retail company to work for. They offer promotional opportunities for sales oriented, hard working associates that can work in a team environment, display good customer service stills and good time and attentance. They have good benefits for part time and full time associates.

ConsAs with most retail establishments you are ususally required to work various shifts which make it hard on your family time. Although they do offer benefits for associates they are not as good as could be. Insurance for part time associates is hardly working taking and the insurance for full time associates is getting worse each year. Their mentoring and training programs for internal associates really need to be given more attention. This would improve the quality of staff by making them ready for the next step in their career with Lowe's thus improving moral - which in turn promotes better customer service and thus helping ensure a solid bottom line for the company! The pay rate needs a little attention and this would improve tenure.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have visited your corporate facilities and if you trimmed some of the fat there and utilized those funds at the store level your bottom line would increase drastically. The pay for store associates should not have such a low cap on it. You are seriouly hurting those associates with longevitiy some people make great cashiers, or hourly associates and that is what they will be good at their entire life. You will save on the bottom line by not having to rehire and retain so often. (Look at the Costco some of their cashiers make more than $20/hr). The stores need to be updated in many regards. The stores don't even have updated computers, training facilities or lunch rooms. REALLY, the associates have to sit on broken chairs to work, train and eat! Where as the corporate office is over done with such! Has anyone from corporate looked at the speciality sales desks or chairs recently... Improve the image at the store level for ALL ! Customers should never be expected to sit in such old chairs, at old desks and talked into spending thousands of dollars - this should be your next big drive and I really believe your pockets would be fuller! OH YES and most important, TRAIN AND PROMOTE FROM WITHIN... if you can't find someone trainable and promable from within, your management team is not doing their job! Not everyone is promotable, but once again look at Costco, not Home Depot! As you know this would improve employee moral, thus providing better customer service and increasing the bottom line... SOUND FAMILIAR!

Human Resource Manager which I train and due Orientation for all my assocaites that come into the company

Human Resource (Current Employee)

ProsI really think the team work that all are asscoaites have working together

ConsCorporate, and make sure we make payroll on a weekly basis

Advice to Senior ManagementI was one of the upper management and we always make sure that we that care of the employees

a decent place to work

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Seaford, DE (US)

Pros1) Very flexible with schedule. let me take a 2 month personal leave and work around school
    2) Helpful coworkers and friendly management (for the most part)
    3) Ability to advance fairly easily
    4) Forces you to learn lots of useful things about plants, building materials, etc

Overall good. Just not the job for me.

Cons1) Many people were being paid MUCH less than me despite their product knowledge and relevant experience. It seems that having a bachelors degree gives you a few extra bucks. I admitted to no product knowledge and no retail experience during the interview.
    2) Policies often change and no one is notified. I've had department managers yell at me for something that I am allowed to do. I have to get management or installed sales to correct them.
    3) ASMs KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE COMPUTERS. As a part time employee, I have showed them how to do an installed sale (they tried to do it through genesis), order products, price audit, etc.
    4) No training.
    5) Harassment from racist and misogynistic customers more than any other job I've had
    6) High turnover rate for ASMs and GMs but not so much for regular employees
    7) Randomly cuts hours or lays seasonal and part time people off because they can't make payroll.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease learn how to do simple things like work the cash if you want me to respect you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Eh

ProsBenefits and helping customers get what they need. Ability to show off your knowledge and really help customers get their problems fixed.

ConsManagement. Depending on the store it can be really great or terrible. I have worked for some great managers and some that have no business being one.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain and better hire management staff. It's to hit and miss.

Great job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay for retail
    Hour lunch for 8 hour shift
    team work

ConsEmployees in break room are noisy and try to spread rumors.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a Christmas party for your employees

great

Store Manager (Current Employee) College Station, TX (US)

Prosgood company values compensation and benefits loved working here with my friends and family and the pay was great. i loved working here and it was the best job ever.

Consgood culture medium salary friends benefits better leadership work life balance this is a great job and i loved it

Great

Paint Sales Associate (Current Employee) Wasilla, AK (US)

ProsGood people to work with, a lot of freedom and great opportunities to learn new things and expand your career. Management is helpful

ConsThe scheduling sucks. You can work 4am one day and until 11pm the next. And as a full time employee you have to be available all the time

front end loader at lowes

Front End Loader (Current Employee) Anchorage, AK (US)

Prosvery good company and friendly environment

Conslots of work expected out of you for little pay

Advice to Senior Managementhire more people so it takes some stress of of others

Assistant Store Manager

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) New Albany, MS (US)

ProsFun place to work, energetic, and team building. Not a super hard job, just learn time management and will do great.

ConsNot as focused on company training as they should be. But i will say that they are trying to improve their method.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time with employees and train them.

Very friendly environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pooler, GA (US)

ProsLowe's focused on team work and enhancing the customers' experience
    Team building activities during meetings, which you get paid to attend.
    great management!!

ConsWe closed pretty late most nights. The main computer system is outdated and difficult to use especially when customers are in a hurry.

Worked for Lowe's? Contribute to the Community!