Lowe's Reviews

4,349 Reviews

Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock
Robert A. Niblock
1,648 Ratings

Pros
  • Working for Lowe's provides decent benefits and a good pay for retail (in 277 reviews)

• The pay is decent for anybody looking for a retail job and they have good benefits as well (in 262 reviews)

Cons
  • there's no work-life balance as an employee classified as a store level manager (in 93 reviews)

• Have to be full time worker in order to be eligible for tuition reimbursement (in 173 reviews)

More Highlights

Laid back atmosphere with a lot of learning opportunities

Current Employee - Head Cashier in Pottsville, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Pottsville, PA (US)

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very laid back atmosphere. You work independently, maybe with a "to-do" list written by your department manager. Those on the floor have a lot more freedom than those on the front end. You get to go to break and lunch basically whenever you want, as long as you have coverage during those busier hours. Everyone at my location is very friendly. Some have been working there for 16 years when the store opened and there's a "family feel" to the workplace

Cons

1 weekend off a month max. And sometimes scheduling rotations get messed up and you may not have a weekend for 6 weeks or so. There is room to move up, but management seems to know who they want before applications before even start coming in. 9 hour work days because of 1 hour unpaid lunch.

Great family of co-workers!

Current Employee - Csa Front End in Marion, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Csa Front End in Marion, NC (US)

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the family atmosphere with the co-workers. Great managment team. Great hours. Benefits are good. Different teams to help you in anyway.

Cons

There will always be someone that you dont get along with at work, but the good ones out weigh the bad!

Completion of annual training provoked me into consider a mid-life (good/positive) career change.

Current Employee - Head Cashier in Mobile, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Mobile, AL (US)

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I feel that I am paid fairly for what I do.
    I like the part-time insurance, health, retirement, stock options, banking, and consumer incentives program.

Cons

No accrual "sick day" time for part time employees.

Get to know the associate you manage.

Area Human Resources Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Lowe's

Pros

Flexibility, benefits, paid time off,

Cons

Micro managed, no much upward mobility.

Valuable

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate - Building Materials in Boone, NC (US)

I worked at Lowe's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working in building materials helped our my career goals in construction management and allowed me to gain more product knowledge. I was able to interact with customers to offer advice and help with their projects. I especially enjoyed using all the equipment to stock the building supply shelves and customers' vehicles. I played a vital role in the installation and sales programs alongside commercial sales. I really enjoyed working here.

Cons

I don't have any cons except that I could have managed the building materials floor better than my former manager.

Customer Service and Sales

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate II in Porterville, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate II in Porterville, CA (US)

I worked at Lowe's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The team and upper management participation.

Cons

Asked and asked for over a year to get a mentor help me to advance in knowledge to grow in the company.

If you offer mentors then follow through with it.

Csa

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Oakland, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Oakland, FL (US)

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was great working for this company I learned a lot.

Cons

Specialist were never on time to assist customers

Make an organized lunch scedule

Not bad for a retail job

Former Employee - Sales Specialist Pro Services
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist Pro Services

I worked at Lowe's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, health benefits, PTO, 401k plus company matching, tuition reimbursement, some flexibility with scheduling. Can be a decent job for a full time student or retiree as long as your manager is willing to work around your schedule.

Cons

They require full you to be available to work any shift from open until close which makes it hard to have a life outside of work unless you have one of the few jobs that have a regular schedule.

Reward associates that go the extra mile. Provide an incentive structure that rewards not only the team but also the individual.

Best retail to work for.

I have been working at Lowe's

Pros

Stress free, fun environment. I find that most people work well with one another. People are happy to share their knowledge.

Cons

Standing all day on your feet is the worst part. I really don't have anything ill to say about the company I work for.

For the most part a good place to work....

Former Employee - Cashier in Brandon, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Brandon, FL (US)

I worked at Lowe's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I loved my regular customers! I run into them sometimes and they miss me. ;)
    Loved my coworkers and mentoring anyone who asked for help.
    Volunteering on special projects was a lot of fun!
    The pay was good. I received a raise every year. Not sure if everyone did.
    I made a lot of good friends there! I miss them!

Cons

Store manager turnover was constant. I started to feel sorry for incoming managers.
    Poor communication between department managers and workers.
    Antiquated computer systems. Although better by the time I left.
    Customer service seems to take a backseat to the long list of task being expected by the only associate in the department. It got to where the only way to be able to finish the list was to hide from the customers. I didn't see that as an option as I am customer service personified!
    Sometimes the self checkout was the only checkout open during peak times causing disgruntled customers and associates.
    I would have liked to work overtime, whenever possible, and volunteered every time it was offered. Which could have been more often if you ask me.
    One person in charge of HR was a drawback! It seemed you always had to come in on your off time to try to catch the HR Manager.

Communicate better and more often. Be approachable!!
    The customers who use self checkout miss having 4 checkouts verses the current 2 checkouts.
    Customer Service seems to be an afterthought and the customers sense it also.