Lowe's Reviews

4,281 Reviews

Lowe's Chairman and CEO Robert A. Niblock
Robert A. Niblock
1,621 Ratings

Pros
  • Working for Lowe's provides decent benefits and a good pay for retail (in 271 reviews)

• The pay is decent for anybody looking for a retail job and they have good benefits as well (in 259 reviews)

Cons
  • Lowe's still keeps the value of work-life balance while expecting loyalty to the job (in 89 reviews)

• Have to be full time worker in order to be eligible for tuition reimbursement (in 168 reviews)

More Highlights

Laid back atmosphere with a lot of learning opportunities

Current Employee - Head Cashier in Pottsville, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Pottsville, PA (US)

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very laid back atmosphere. You work independently, maybe with a "to-do" list written by your department manager. Those on the floor have a lot more freedom than those on the front end. You get to go to break and lunch basically whenever you want, as long as you have coverage during those busier hours. Everyone at my location is very friendly. Some have been working there for 16 years when the store opened and there's a "family feel" to the workplace

Cons

1 weekend off a month max. And sometimes scheduling rotations get messed up and you may not have a weekend for 6 weeks or so. There is room to move up, but management seems to know who they want before applications before even start coming in. 9 hour work days because of 1 hour unpaid lunch.

Area Human Resources Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Lowe's

Pros

Flexibility, benefits, paid time off,

Cons

Micro managed, no much upward mobility.

Decent Job, a little unorganized

I have been working at Lowe's part-time

Pros

Starting pay is good, friendly people

Cons

inconsistent hours if you are part time. Store opens at 6am

I have been working at Lowes for over 5 years

Current Employee - Head Cashier
    Current Employee - Head Cashier

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice company to work for. After working for 5 years, you are given a third week of paid vacation! Paid sick time and holiday time. Sometimes you get bonuses based on the store's performance.

Cons

Shifts are ever-changing unless you are one of the lucky few. You have to work most weekends when full time, just about every single weekend when part time. Hard to move up in the company unless you are willing to suck up.

Look beyond the suck-ups for promotions.

Customer Service Associate III

Current Employee - CSA III in Nashville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - CSA III in Nashville, TN (US)

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoy the DIY atmosphere. I have an excellent store manager that has taken interest in helping me to progress. I found that I am good at sales (starting as a cashier selling EPP's) and I have worked my way up over the last year. I have had encouragement from HR, my store manager, and the assistant store managers. I admire the company values and the fact that they do not expect me to work off the clock. I do get called in on occasion, but when I can't make it, no one holds it against me. I have also been able to get time off when it was needed. I feel that over all, my co-workers are great people that I enjoy working with. I am very happy with my job. I have been with Lowes for a year and a half.

Cons

Training could be a bit better. It's very difficult to get on full-time, but if you work hard and stick in there, it can happen. There just aren't that may full-time positions available. You have to be willing to transfer to another store sometimes for full-time work.

Better training would be a big plus.

Awesom

Current Employee - Department Manager in Tifton, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Tifton, GA (US)

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have great benefits. You get up to 3 weeks vac. We have sic pay, paid holidays off. 10% discount card for purchases inside the store. They also have resources for helping pay for going back to school. This is a solid company to work for.

Cons

the rotating shifts. and working on the weekends.

My advice is for them to hire people that are true leaders in the stores. Making sure they are hands on with the associates. Their associates will respect them more.

Great opportunity to learn everything that is needed for a homeowner.

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Corpus Christi, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Corpus Christi, TX (US)

I worked at Lowe's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits with good pay. Constantly busy with your duties and with helping customers in your area of responsibility and other departments.

Cons

No cons if you don't mind physical work. The only one mentionable is working til 11pm

Stores with lower sales volume are still staffed like stores with 2 to 3 times the volume. So consider adjustments.

It is a good place to work.

I have been working at Lowe's

Pros

The staff is quite friendly. They help each other out.

Cons

Work too many days per week for only part time employment.

The training should be more inclusive of day to day routines and regulations of employees rather than just video after video.

CSA

Former Employee - CSA Lawn and Garden in Marion, IN (US)
    Former Employee - CSA Lawn and Garden in Marion, IN (US)

I worked at Lowe's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Store manager is definitely one of the best managers I have ever had! Good working environment, People are very friendly!

Cons

beginning pay is low, but you receive raises over time.

Never settle for average. This area of retail can be very competitive.

Lowe's

I have been working at Lowe's

Pros

This is a great company to work for. They really care about their employees and value their contribution. They are wonderful.

Cons

It's a very big company so their is lots of room for growth. I would say the biggest area of opportunity would be development plans for employees and their Implememtation.