M. D. Anderson Cancer Center

M. D. Anderson Cancer Center Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

M. D. Anderson Cancer Center President Ronald A. DePinho

Ronald A. DePinho

Pros:
  • "Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Work-life balance, great benefits, opportunity to work with people who come different backgrounds"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "We had to pay for parking and in my opinion it was too much"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Some people have lost their jobs due ot poor management and budget cuts"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

great place to work!

IT Manager (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than 8 years

ProsDiverified workplace. Professional environment. Talented co-workers

ConsParking! long walk to the office. Parking fees.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the excellent work and forsight.

Great place to work

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center

ProsOpportunities for growth are present

ConsOpportunities for growth are hard to come by

Nice place to work

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center part-time for more than 3 years

ProsNice place to work, Ranked #1 in Cancer Care

Consnot dedicated enough to education

Do not let the reputation FOOL you!

Senior Secretary (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits are excellent.
iDeal discounts. We get discounts on a lot of services from Cell Phones Providers to Houston Zoo Admission price
Patients are usually treated with the best level of care.

ConsPolitics! Politics! Politics!
Management very cold hearted and have no compassion for employees.
Parking is way too expensive.
Low morale
Brown nosers' haven - your skills and work ethic doesn't matter here.
Some managers are OVER PAID and are completely clueless about the roles of the employees they "micro-manage"
High turn over rate in some departments due to poor management and operational flaws.
HR does very little to help employees against abuse, harrassment and bulllyinf from bosses.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease have compassion for your employees. I have never ever worked in an environment so hateful and cruel. Please pay more attention to the turnover rate in certain departments. That could be a red flag on how the department is being managed. Appreciate your good, hard working employees instead of giving top of the line priviledges to those who cater to your ego and bring you breakfast and lunch to get ahead instead of working for it. Learn the the jobs functions of your employees, managers should be able to cover anyone they manage in the event of an emergency or staffing crisis.

Good company to work with

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

ProsFacility, fame and good opportunity

ConsSometimes Bureaucratic. Not like an university.

bureaucratic at times. Too much paperwork.

Houston, TX (US)

ProsGreat benefits such as: Teachers Retirement, free health insurance.

ConsIt is very sad when patients die

Horrible Morale

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits are wonderful to have

Consmanagement sucks especially on the nursing units

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to be professional and talk with staff not talk down or at them like they are you children.

Great Care for patients, but horrible treatment of employees

Patient Services Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat benefits. Love insurance. Excellent Patient Care, and lots of Diversity

ConsManagement and license practitioners stick together be it wrong or right. Not fair sometimes when it comes to employees who are the support staff, the ones actually doing the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to effectively manage. Just because you're fresh out of school and have your bachelors, Master, etc, etc..... Sometime a degree doesn't mean you can perform you job correctly.

Work with some amazing people, they are just not in the positions they should be...

Supervisor (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

ProsLove to help people; a lot of great people.
Im not in patient care but I love just to help them find an elevator if thats all I do.
Tution assistance.
It would be the greatest place to work if the values of the founder were still echoing through the institution.

ConsPublic image is only concern as is patient census with management.
Creates motion to have motion regardless of wastes of ineffciency. Then as a result uses this platform to cancel benefits and payouts.
Hr will not enforce anything, states "its managers discretion" regardless of the policy interpetation.
Upper mgt is a,lways looking to penalize low level workers and strip benefits from them all the while continuing to take exhorbent bonuses and building totems of worship for all to see thier greatness.
Class warfare is constant
Wants to be the McDonalds of Cancer; have a treatment center on every corner.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am sure Monroe Dunaway Anderson is rolling in his grave at what has become of his vision. This used to be place where employees were the "heart and soul of MDA" but now thanks to upper mgt over the last few years every employee is looked at as a burder or a unit of labor. The disconnect has happened, employees are no longer appreciated;some depts attemt to do good but HR usual steps in and frowns upon it... Poll your support personell; they see what is really going on, get their opinions, ask them if they feel welcome. The view is quite different once you are out of the ivory tower.

Grand environment but enthusiasm is stifled by control-freaks

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee)
Smithville, TX (US)

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for less than a year

ProsMD Anderson Cancer Center is a grand place to work, lots of professionals just a phone call away, which makes collaboration easy. The benefits are great, the support from within the institution is great - from vaccination clinics to legal advice you can get support for nearly anything from MD Anderson.

ConsThe management is too controlling and the environment where I worked at was only interested in publications, not actual progress. Concerns about study design were not taken serious. Also request for cell/tissue services costing as little as 3$ had to be countersigned by 2 officials to be placed. More bureaucracy than need be.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees more free reign. As a Cancer Researcher who has worked in several countries prior to coming to the US, I can assure you that this will give better results. Scientists are not worker bees but independent thinkers. The paperwork-load is too much to do on top of doing your research well.

Worked for M. D. Anderson Cancer Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for M. D. Anderson Cancer Center CEO Ronald A. DePinho. All 242 reviews are posted anonymously by M. D. Anderson Cancer Center employees.