M. D. Anderson Cancer Center

M. D. Anderson Cancer Center Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

M. D. Anderson Cancer Center President Ronald A. DePinho

Ronald A. DePinho

Pros:
  • "Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Work-life balance, great benefits, opportunity to work with people who come different backgrounds"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "We had to pay for parking and in my opinion it was too much"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Some people have lost their jobs due ot poor management and budget cuts"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Lack of Growth

Patient Access Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat health benefits and they pay for higher education

ConsWorst Management, keeps a tight leash on their employees.

Advice to Senior Managementappreciate your employees and treat them like people, not robots

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center

ProsState working environment, good benefit

Conspolitical inside this hospital, expensive parking

MD AndersonMD M M

Project Director (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe mission of eliminating cancer makes one feel special and the majority of the employees are committed and know the mission. Great retirement plan.

ConsExtremely political with doctors in charge with egos the size of Texas. The doctors are terrific physicians and scientists but that does not translate to knowing everything about everything. All the doctors have to do is whine to a higher up and they get there way. Bullying is rampant at the highest levels of the organization and no one does anything about it. Money is wasted through duplicate services and allowing the doctors to all have their own unique and customized way of working. The president and his wife plus the cohort of cronies they brought from Boston. The core values of caring, discovery, and integrity are just words and not practiced from the top down. The organization has degraded significantly over the last 10 years and has reached a crisis point.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new president and vice presidents especially in patient care and administration.

INTERN

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat place to work. work culture is amazing.

ConsThere is no other issue apart from the fact that they did not extend any full time offer.

Great Company

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat benefits and a work environment.

Consi've been denied several internal transfers.

Great organization, outstanding care for patients

Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee)

I worked at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than 3 years

ProsProvides extremely high quality care to patients, and the majority of employees take pride in their work and mission. The opportunities for contributing to research and patient care are unparalleled.

ConsMDACC is a very large cancer center and for some that can be overwhelming. As an employee, it may be difficult to stand out.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile MDACC remains an outstanding cancer center, the recent negative media attention has tarnished MDACC's reputation in the community and academia.

Unfair treatment of faculty members by senior management

Associate Professor (Former Employee)

I worked at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBeing given the opportunity to take care of patients with complex diagnoses. Salaried position with good benefits.

ConsFaculty evaluation process is unfair. Plans for improvement which were outlined in annual review were not carried out. Senior management is not transparent in their decision making which affects faculty members. Fair and timely promotion of senior faculty members not carried out. Unrealistic quotas set for numbers of patients seen resulting in diminished quality of care. I have been directly or indirectly involved as a physician with MD Anderson for over 20 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementCleaning house of upper management and faculty members in leadership roles is in order. Their salaries are a drain to the MD Anderson budget. The majority of these individuals have high salaries & benefits costs when compared to other clinical faculty members. However, they do not contribute significantly to the revenue stream by seeing patients.

Sick Days

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than a year

ProsThe insurance benefit is great, the pay is okay, they try to keep current with the market.

ConsYou can't really use your sick days. You have all these days but if you call in sick thats a point against you. The only time you can be absent is on vacation, but who plans sick days?

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Difficult to progress

Project Director (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe teacher retirement system retirement plan - after 30 years of work.

ConsLack of transparency. Lack of resources for projects. Lack of strategic planning. Lack of opportunities for meaningful training and advancement.

I found MD Anderson one of the most rewarding jobs yet

Phlebotomist (Former Employee)

I worked at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey paid well. The benefits package was substantial. Overtime if you wanted it. The people are dedicated and a vast amount of diversity. It is rewarding to know what you do during the day made a difference in someone's life.

ConsMedical Center chaos
Houston traffic is an absolute NIGHTMARE. That is the biggest downfall
Parking. We had to pay for parking and in my opinion it was too much
Very high paced and very very stressful

Worked for M. D. Anderson Cancer Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for M. D. Anderson Cancer Center CEO Ronald A. DePinho. All 246 reviews are posted anonymously by M. D. Anderson Cancer Center employees.