MD Anderson Cancer Center

Updated 28 October 2014
3.7

MD Anderson Cancer Center President Ronald A. DePinho
Ronald A. DePinho

Pros
  • Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Great benefits, good place to work if supervisor is good (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • PAID PARKING IS THE WORST, OTHER FACILITIES PAY FOR PARKING FOR EMPLOYESS (in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance was not a priority of my direct supervisor (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

The Pro's and Con's of Being Big

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time

Pros

As each of us in one way or another who know or has known someone with cancer, we as employees are here because we do believe in our mission - to eliminate cancer. For non-patient care staff, the work / life balance provides a variety of options. Due to the size of MD Anderson, one can transfer into a different field without leaving the hospital.

Cons

On the reverse side of the 'size' coin, MD Anderson's growth has buildings and staff away from the patient care areas. Working in or near patient care areas, you are reminded as to the reason you work at MD Anderson.

A business trying to mask itself as an academic institution

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Smithville, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Smithville, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The staff in general are pretty helpful, atleast in the satellite campus at science park where I work most of the time. The talent here is great, and so is the student community. If you have a passion for science, this is a good place to be. Seminars are held pretty regularly, and the organisers invite a lot of reknowned folk to give talks. Time off policies are a bit weird ( in the not good sense) when you start off, but I've heard they get better with time. As always, if you're in the good graces of your higher up, you'll have more doors opened for you.

Cons

The bureaucracy is stifling, even though the said bureaucrats try and help you out as much as possible. It's pretty evident that MD Anderson was designed/built to run like a business, but is trying to put on a cloak of being an academic institution. Also their new drug testing policy (effective Jan 1st 2015, MD Anderson is going to become a tobacco free campus) feels like management is going down a slippery slope. Also, new workers have to undergo a LOT of training in paperwork and in general, there are a lot of forms to fill out before doing anything - that too on software systems that were out of date in the early 2000's

Streamline your bureaucracy and hire Scientists to administer scientists, not administrators. Lab techs and PI's appreciate it more when they are speaking to someone who knows the pitfalls instead of someone who sees science as a whole lot of gibberish.

Great experience at MD Anderson! Ambition can take you in so many paths here.

Current Employee - Research Data Coordinator in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Research Data Coordinator in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many resources for all employee needs and support. Professional and friendly environment. Exclusive events for contributing to community(s)

Cons

Before & after work traffic, parking fees, the new evaluation system (2014)

Everything is great about this company.

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work life balance, Benefits, leadership, coworker relationships, free trainings on everything.

Cons

Parking is expensive, pay could be more specially for med center being number 1 in everything.

It has been somewhat fulfilling

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are wonderful, office culture is overall culturally diverse which I enjoy because you learn so much from your employees. I like how big this place is because you run into the most wonderful co-workers and patients going through this hospital everyday.

Cons

Compensation is ok, but the 2% raise every year you hardly even see it, and the amount it cost to park each month in the parking garages are ridiculous. The slow ability to move up within a company this size is ridiculous, if you are looking to take a position to get your foot in the door I highly recommend you wait for the position you are wanting to move into because it is difficult to move around in this company.

Being employed with MD Anderson was amazing. Best job I've had.

Former Employee - Secretary in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Secretary in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was good, considering I do not have a degree. The benefits package was amazing. The perks you receive as a employee. The mission of MD Anderson is phenomenal.

Cons

The medical center is horrible! The streets and traffic are bad! Working with employees who have degrees tend to look down on employees without degrees. Some are snooty and stuck up. Some managers do not know how to manage an office. The department I was employed with there was some favoritism of other employees which in my opinion was unprofessional.

Clinical fellow

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center

Pros

We'll known hospital. Great work

Cons

Saturated. No personal growth and training is ok

Good Place to work

Former Employee - Instructor Research Faculty Appointment in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Instructor Research Faculty Appointment in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good place to work if supervisor is good

Cons

bureaucracy, Very large place, Upper management style of functioning

Excellent Company to work for

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

MD Anderson takes extremely good care of their employees. They provide good health insurance and pension plan. Some IT departments allow telecommute.

Cons

The structured hierarchy sometimes become an obstacle for things to move along faster.

Overworked, Underpaid, Management a Joke

Former Employee - Inpatient Pharmacy Technician in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Inpatient Pharmacy Technician in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is higher than average, but you are responsible for MUCH more than average.
    I can't say anything bad about the benefit package. Health insurance is one of the best provided. Retirement package is also better than average.

Cons

Where to start. Management seems unable to manage employees or workflow at all. Every 3 months, employees are asked to incorporate new duties while still being responsible for old duties. Workflow is completely reorganized just as frequently, so no one, not even managers, is exactly sure who is supposed to be doing what. Co-workers for the most part are lazy or unqualified and management is unable to do anything about it. As long as an employee clocks in and out on time, Human Resources prevents management from disciplining that employee. This leads to many employees that show up on time, but do as little work as necessary. And the few employees that do work hard are fired because of occasional tardiness.

Despite great pay and benefits, there is a high rotation for this position. Employees are constantly leaving and new employees are constantly being added to replace them. Training so many new employees puts a strain on current employees already saddled with ever increasing workloads. Also, pharmacy is responsible for the cleaning and storage of medical pumps, something that does not happen at any other hospital I know of. The pumps in question are usually dirty, bloody, and contaminated with infectious waste. Pharmacy is ill equipped to completely clean and sanitize these pumps, and they are stored in the same room as most of the medication.

Instead of trying to improve productivity by constantly shifting duties between positions, look towards giving managers more power to make management decisions by eliminating lazy employees who call in every other month and allowing long-serving, hard-working employees who were late a few times some leeway.

MD Anderson Cancer Center Photos