MD Anderson Cancer Center

Updated 24 November 2014
3.6

MD Anderson Cancer Center President Ronald A. DePinho
Ronald A. DePinho

Pros
  • Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance (in 23 reviews)

• Great benefits, good place to work if supervisor is good (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • PAID PARKING IS THE WORST, OTHER FACILITIES PAY FOR PARKING FOR EMPLOYESS (in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance was not a priority of my direct supervisor (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Histology Career

Current Employee - Clinical Histology Technician in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Clinical Histology Technician in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Awesome experien, I love to work here because we are kind of like behind the scene people to help the Doctors diagnose the patient conditions or save life. The insurance is so so but the retirement benefit is great.

Cons

It is a lot of work, but I love it.

Be more understanding toward your employees

Positive experience. I actually enjoy coming to work for the company

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center

Pros

Good benefits, good pay,

Cons

bonuses are based on entire departments, parking is expensive

Organization

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center

Pros

This company provides great benefits.

Cons

The training is very unorganized. In the research department (Leukemia) people are unwelcoming and unfriendly.

Work on your orientation and staff.

Excellent Organization

Former Employee - Instructor in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Instructor in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Management Structure, training and professional development

Cons

Excellent company, no problems

Keep up the good work.

great for those looking to progress in there career

Current Employee - Staff RN in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

they will pay for training

Cons

a lot of there work is still done on paper

push the higher ups to update thing like the kronos clock and paper charting

MD Anderson has a friendly environment full of leaders that support their employees 100%

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center

Pros

Benefits: Pension, great retirement plans, free medical insurance, school reimbursement, and a set amount of money to use in order to join organizations or go to conferences

Cons

patient population can be tolling

The best benefits around, but it's not worth it

Current Employee - Pharmacy in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Pharmacy in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are among the best I've seen. Healthcare is paid by the institution, there is ample vacation time given. Most employees are hard working and personable. Between all the negatives (below) you really do feel like you're making a difference.

Cons

Depending on the department, management can be from at best inept to at worst negligent and dangerous. Problems are ignored until the day before governing bodies do inspection, are hastily patched over, and then forgotten about until the next inspection looms. They have managed to make institutional policies both so weak as to allow lazy, unqualified employees a steady paycheck and so restrictive as to force managers to fire well liked, hardworking employees that have been unlucky. . The institution is facing a possible academic censure from the American Association of University Professors. Morale is at an all time low.

Run from this place.

Have managers evaluated every few years, not solely on their productivity, but by their employees as well. Review employee hirings and leavings as well. High numbers usually means changes need to be made. Treat employees with as much respect you claim to treat patients, and morale will increase.

It has been a learning experience.

Current Employee - Research Data Coordinator in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Research Data Coordinator in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to help people through the some of the hardest times in their life and that is a great feeling. You are exposed to some of the greatest minds in medicine and research. If you pay attention, you can learn a lot about the medical field and how it all works and is run. You are also exposed to different cultures through the people that you work with and the patients that you meet.

Cons

The politics are horrible and there is a strong hesitancy towards change. There are standards rules and regulations but everything is subject to managements discretion in the end. Sometimes that can help but for the most part, I've seen several people treated unfairly because of it. HR is not very helpful. Unless you are in a position that is on the medical side (nurse, mid-level provider, doctor etc.) there really isn't room for growth. Promotion/growth is not based on what qualifications you have but who you really know that gets you places. Salaries aren't that great either. Most people are under paid for the work that they do.

Take a closer look at the work our employees do. Try to implement incentive programs and actively promote your stronger employees. This will not motivate others do work harder and better, but it will improve the over all quality of the departments and hospital as a whole.

Overall it was a good experience. The place is extremely political so you need to know office politics.

Former Employee - Animal Resource Supervisor in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Animal Resource Supervisor in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are good.. They pay is good.

Cons

Politics and other hassles of the med center. Parking!!

Pay attention to all the training the facility offers.

Challenging, inspiring work

Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Colleagues are topnotch and for the most part, generous and helpful. The institution's mission is clear, and every employee is made to feel that their contribution is important. Benefits and compensation are good. There was a strong sense of camaraderie on my team.

Cons

Resources for training and development were sometimes hard to come by in my (non-patient facing) department.

Encourage all departments/divisions to invest in training and development of their staff. It will reenergize employees who've been asked for years to do more with less.

MD Anderson Cancer Center Photos