MD Anderson

MD Anderson Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

MD Anderson President Ronald A. DePinho

Ronald A. DePinho

Pros
  • Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Work-life balance, great benefits, opportunity to work with people who come different backgrounds (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • We had to pay for parking and in my opinion it was too much (in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance was not a priority of my direct supervisor (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall it was a good experience. The place is extremely political so you need to know office politics.

Animal Resource Supervisor (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsThe benefits are good.. They pay is good.

ConsPolitics and other hassles of the med center. Parking!!

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to all the training the facility offers.

Challenging, inspiring work

Communications Specialist (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsColleagues are topnotch and for the most part, generous and helpful. The institution's mission is clear, and every employee is made to feel that their contribution is important. Benefits and compensation are good. There was a strong sense of camaraderie on my team.

ConsResources for training and development were sometimes hard to come by in my (non-patient facing) department.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage all departments/divisions to invest in training and development of their staff. It will reenergize employees who've been asked for years to do more with less.

Very positive for a young scientist.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent, warm, inspiring environment. Researchers were very accessible. I was there when Ron Depinho became president and he seems to have a great vision for the hospital.

ConsIt was a research appointment, so some weekends were spent at work, though that's pretty standard. No other real significant cons if you want to work in research.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I was unlucky, no where to turn to

Research Assistant I (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGood benefits, nice environment,

ConsI worked with lying, cheating, scum lab-partners. They lied and lied about me to the PI. I asked the department manager and my PI for an independent reviewer of my performance. Both denied me! my lab partners keps on lying about my performance and then the PI fired me. Their was no one to turn to.

Advice to Senior ManagementPLEASE allow independent reviewers.

Great place for I/T workers

Principal Applications Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsSalaries are very competitive, work environment is great

ConsVery little in bonus compensation

Advice to Senior ManagementClear, concise policies, procedures and direction

Unique. Cancer research and patient care focusing on all aspects of disease.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsVast amount of resources both in terms of people and infrastructure.

ConsBureaucracy. Very long process for everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it academic and don't turn it into a corporate entity.

Administrative Assistant

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGood health benefit and retirement plan.

ConsIf you are in a support role, administration will support faculty over you 9 times out of 10. Different sets of rules for different employees. "Do as I say, not as I do" attitude with most management.

Job Opportunities within MD Anderson

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsBenefits are great! Great job security!

ConsIf you consider applying at MD Anderson, consider to contact the head/director directly. The HR system is not well organized and they do not forward the appropriate applications to the directors/heads. HR is not well responsive and does not provide any updates on your submitted application.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe flexible! Appreciate your employers! Too much administration!!! There are so many administrators that are not doing anything - try lean management

Poor Compensation

Research Data Coordinator (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsVery rewarding to know you are making a difference in patients' lives.

ConsEvery department seems to be very tight financially. You can expect to be underpaid, and annual merit raises of about 1.5%. They also overload you with unreasonable amounts of work because they are unwilling to hire more staff to handle the increased workload.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees more and be willing to invest for the growth of the department.

Great place to work!

Physical Plant Supervisor (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsThis institution is so family oriented and supportive on both a personal and professional level. It is also interested in helping you grow your career. Mangement is willing to listen to concerns and also great teachers and leaders. They have excellent benefits and work/life balance.

ConsIf I had to critique this institution it would be that it has so many facilities and is spread out to much.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Worked for MD Anderson? Contribute to the Community!