MEDecision

MEDecision President & CEO Deborah M. Gage

Deborah M. Gage

Still hoping !

I have been working at MEDecision full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe executive management team talks a great talk. They are happy cheerful people. Hoping this will spread to lower levels of management and employee base. There are great projects in the works.

ConsToo many bosses and not enough producers.

Typical KookAid - a lot of talk, little relevant action

I have been working at MEDecision full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPay is great.

Thankfully still some good people around, though many have left.

ConsPoor products and poor support for them. Little if anything done to address either. Just keep pushing out the next new incomplete features.

Not all, but many ... Managers who don't actually manage anything, seem like they don't actually want to manage, but want a managerial title and, if anything, "lead from behind" and try to apply pressure to get what they want. (a quote: "Let me find out who I have to push around to get this done.")

Upper management that seems to know plenty about sales & marketing, but little about what it takes to have something clients actually want. (a quote: "Sales cures all ills.")

A lot of talk about work/life balance, but don't try to actually have work/life balance. Can accrue plenty of time off, just don't expect to be able to use it; or if you do, expect to have to work while you're away.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe problem's not with the staff. It's with the lack of necessary leadership, lack of management, dismal product quality and poor, when there is any, support for it.

Something's got to give

I worked at MEDecision

ProsGreat individual contributors
Flexible work schedule
Good salary
Nice location with access to walking trail, and many lunch options

ConsThere comes a point when there is no way possible to fix something. MEDecision is heading in that direction. Communication between departments is non-existent. The culture has turned into a "blame" one. There is so much finger pointing that real work cannot get done.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to the saying that hung on the walls... Assume positive intent... Everyone wants to do their best, not have to protect themselves.

Moving the company closer to city is not going to attract new employees when reviews from former workers are titled "Run screaming". Look within, take stock of the employees and make them feel valued, not stepped on. Then things might get better.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Wrong Direction

Chesterbrook, PA (US)

I worked at MEDecision full-time

ProsThere were some very good individuals in parts of the organization. Casual environment for a good amount of the time working there and a good location.

ConsUnfortunately those good individuals were surrounded by too many ineffectual managers with no clear direction or plan. Senior management brought in hand-picked people that did not know the business or were particularly good at there jobs. That caused a lot of clash with existing employees when it was clear there was no accountability at higher levels of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTruly self-assess the capabilities of the senior management and what they are contributing to the organization. Realize that just because the perspective is new doesn't mean it is right.

Good until the new CEO arrived. Run away!

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at MEDecision full-time for more than a year

ProsGood group of professionals and friends.

ConsThe executive leadership does not care about the product. The strategies to sell the product are not honest; the company lost all the clients except the parent company.
The products have so much technical/architectural debt that adding/changing one small feature could take a couple of releases and re-design efforts.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with your employees and customers

One direction down

I worked at MEDecision

ProsFour years ago there was great growth potential for this company. It was a casual work environment with potential to deliver a much needed product.

ConsI have never seen a company where middle-management does not hold any kind of team meetings. There is no cohesion between the departments. Absolute lack of direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive clear direction for where the company is headed Treat everyone as though their job adds value to the company's bottom-line. Respect one another.

execs love title and perqs

I have been working at MEDecision for more than 5 years

Prosdedicated people at the core of the business; doing the best with a bad product and declining reputation

Consflawed products, egotistical execs who think they know it all, hypocrisy of messaging about how people matter; declining customer base; keep moving the deck chairs on the Titanic rather than focus on exec talent; coming from a name company doesn't mean you are a good leader

Advice to Senior Managementyou can talk all you want about how important people are and even hire a Chief People Officer but your actions speak volumes and reveal your true values

I learned alot!

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at MEDecision full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat individual people, good salary, casual work environment

ConsThe latest of many changes in leadership resulted in massive layoffs; good people cut loose with little feedback as to why (other than "lead, follow or get out of the way"), more & more executives, and no backfill for the people let go.

Advice to Senior Managementremember that a company is more that just a management team. Need a good product, and PEOPLE.

Run away screaming!

Marketing Communications (Former Employee)

I worked at MEDecision full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSalary was great - but no worklife balance

ConsManagement doesn't know what it is doing in this market. Marketing is a mess. Back stabbing and lying prevail.

A good company founded by American ingenuity destroyed by pride and gr,eed

I have been working at MEDecision full-time

ProsCompensation compensation, compensation, compensation, compensation

ConsRun by management much like a country run by Caste System. The worker bees and then the royalty.
Laying off complete departments and then asking other employees to step into those functions within in the company with no regard to their skill sets, educational background and work history. No training or professional development. Poor leadership. Leaders chosen and placed In roles that they for which they are not qualified. Positions appointed without posting the opportunity to others.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that the company needs to have uniquely qualified professionals to perform the very specific and technical tasks. In other words, you can not fit a round peg in a square hole just because you laid off or chased off all of the round pegs.

Worked for MEDecision? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MEDecision reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for MEDecision CEO Deborah M. Gage. All 45 reviews are posted anonymously by MEDecision employees.