MGIC Investment Reviews

MGIC Investment Chairman and CEO Curt S. Culver
Curt S. Culver

1. Pick your managers carefully

I worked at MGIC Investment full-time

Pros

There are some good folks and not so good. Many mangers are brought up through the ranks and are not seasoned or even groomed for the part. In spite of that, others are truly fantastic. More good than bad. There are very few opportunities in their business and zero growth prospects ahead. Most positions are dead end due to lack of growth.

Cons

On the brighter side. They are in a sleazy business in a broken industry that the government wants to desperately change. Due to large transaction costs, the housing industry has always attracted lowlife opportunists that create a need to offset risk. Unfortunately they have repeatedly been unsuccessful in managing the risk.

Advice to Management

Keep cashing your checks.

2. No room for growth. Great enviroment for the soon to be retired.

I have been working at MGIC Investment

Pros

Great staff, as far as co-workers. .

Cons

Management needs to go back to school and take courses in new management styles. Company is doing great but would probably be doing better if new techniques of management are in place. No incentives and inferior personalities cause for lack of motivation for employees.

Advice to Management

Training should be more proactive intead of "by the way". No room for promotion, even if your manager leaves and you are the next qualified.

3. Great Place to work.

Current Employee - Risk Analyst in Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Risk Analyst in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I have been working at MGIC Investment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We have some of the most experienced people in the business; even though we have good pay and benefits, we have the lowest expenses of our peers.

Cons

Change happens slowly. But people are open to it.

Advice to Management

Focus on personal growth and development. A lot of people are getting close to retirement and the next tier wants to step up to the challenge. We need opportunities to prove ourselves.

5. The Worst place I have ever worked

Former Employee - Office in Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Office in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I worked at MGIC Investment full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None it was a job

Cons

In order to get ahead in the company you have to be a kiss butt. The bosses they hire have no experience for the job that you are doing. I was there for 30 years never got anywhere as far as moving ahead the management all sticks together.

Advice to Management

You all suck big time it was the most stressful time in my life. How come all the little people get laid off but yet there is 4 bosses to 4 employees in the department. There is a lead at every other desk but yet no one to lead because all the regular employees have been laid off. Why aren't the lay offs reported in the Milwaukee Journal? Is it because MGIC only lays off 5 employees at a time so they can be in the best work place award to work? There have probably been more than a 100 layoffs in the company but never hits the paper. Worst place ever to work.

6. Good pay and excellent benefits.

Current Employee - Wisconsin in Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Wisconsin in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I have been working at MGIC Investment full-time

Pros

Management works hard to keep morale up.

Cons

Dealing with too many bosses.

7. Underwriter

Current Employee - Underwriter
    Current Employee - Underwriter

I have been working at MGIC Investment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great salry, benefits, stability and longevity. Company culture is great with excellent experienced people in place to facilitate success.

Cons

There are no negative comments at this time. The only thing I would comment about is that for those who are looking to advance, the opportunities are slim as most employees stay within their positions for many years.

Advice to Management

Management for the most part is very responsive and clearly identify expectations and job performance goals.

8. I am having an enjoyable experience with MGIC.

Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I have been working at MGIC Investment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There seems to be a genuine concern for the employees and the employee environment.

Cons

There could be more attention to the schedule for claims and the production requirements. The requirements seem to be discriminatory.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the employee suggestions.

9. Lacked career advancement opportunities

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Troy, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Troy, MI (US)

I worked at MGIC Investment full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Easy work for great pay. Overall a good group of co workers. Close to home. Good area to work in.

Cons

No room for advancement. Waited 10 years to be trained as an underwriter and it never came to fruition. They would hire external people to fill internal positions. Management were all biding their time until they retired. They did not listen to employee concerns. Fostered a "just be lucky you have a job" attitude amongst all employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to employee concerns. Give them a chance to prove themselves worthy of more responsiblity.

10. Still struggling with its claims backlogs from the housing crisis and great recession.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I worked at MGIC Investment full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company beginning to turn the corner, but handling of rescissions from crisis will impede rebound. Many clients are smarting from the companies methods of claim denials. Moving to a purchase money business will help NIW and persistency and profitability. Improving values will help default rates. Could this finally be some light at the end of the tunnel?

Cons

High levels of uncertainty, stability and lack of internal opportunity. Company continues to be in a retrenching.

Advice to Management

A little humbleness would go a long way.

11. Save IT

I worked at MGIC Investment full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people at MGIC are their most powerful and positive asset. The longevity of the staff is amazing in these days and times. This company in its original form gave me a GREAT deal of opportunities for advancement of my skills and position.

Cons

MGIC use to have a very cooperative environment. Sadly, recently changes have been put in place that not only impede but forbid communication between individuals trying to get a product/project completed. It use to be everyone would chip in to help get things done but recently MGIC (and IT in specific) has become a shark tank were you do your best to point out what everyone else is doing wrong so you don't fall into the bottom 10%. This company has done a complete 180 in their mentality which is sad because its the quality of communication and compassion that have seen this company through some really awful economic times in the last several years.

Advice to Management

Learn the precepts of change management!

RSS Feed </> Embed