MITRE

MITRE Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

MITRE President and CEO Alfred Grasso

Alfred Grasso

Pros:
  • "You can manage to have a good work-life balance and the benefits pretty good"
    in 111 reviews
  • "Good Benefits; however, not as good as they were 25 years ago"
    in 29 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-Life balance has deteriorated as well as benefits"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Some upper management seems to talk out both sides of their mouth -- dishonest and hypocritical"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Love the people, love the work!

Senior Cyber Security Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of training opportunities, great work-life balance, flexible hours, good benefits. I actually look forward to going into work every day to work on the multiple projects I support.

ConsIt feels like it is dominated by older management that doesn't always seem to quite understand the needs of the younger employees. Attrition lately seems to be a theme, but that also gives more opportunities for those of us who stick around to turn it around.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe're a research and development company, right? I feel like if I want to research up and coming technologies I sometimes have to go out and buy some of them myself to get my hands on it in order to effectively evaluate it. Specifically mobile devices like iPads/iPhones/Android phones/tablets/the newest Windows Phone, etc. I don't always want to have the newest stuff, but it doesn't seem too expensive to have a lab somewhere buy this consumer grade equipment to research. Let's get the equipment so our researchers can research it!

Great place to work!!

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat work/life balance. Immediate respect in any setting thanks to MITRE's reputation. MITRE gets called on to come solve hard problems. When the problems are fixed, we move on, so opportunities for new work abound... hard to ever imagine someone getting bored or stuck on a bad program for a long time. Retirement and benefits package is excellent; pay is reasonable for the workload. Great facilities and great people - I couldn't be happier (and I've been here nearly 10 years so far).

ConsPromotion rates and pay raises, overall, are pretty slow. Lots depends on your department when it comes to promotions...some are just flat.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe P&D process (annual goal planning/measurement) is just silly. Stop putting so much emphasis on "crafting" detailed goals for everyone. Maybe some employees respond to that, but some of us just want to put, "work hard, do a good job" and press on.

2013 Summer Intern. Good not Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Bedford, MA (US)

I worked at MITRE as an intern

ProsGood amount of autonomy - if you think your solution will work you are encouraged to implement it with minimal hand-holding.

Expectations can be pretty high - leading to a lot of initial learning.

ConsIntern experience depends heavily on the project to which you get assigned. I had a friend who's project was below his capabilities and spent 10 weeks not learning anything.

Growing Pains but Still a Great Place to Work

I have been working at MITRE

ProsEnjoy the flexible work life balance

Constime off policies, struggling to keep value in marketplace changes

Advice to Senior ManagementBe confident in the company values, we believe in the company's purpose

Great Company

Lead Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits, Salary, Work Satisfaction, Location

ConsRe-organization doesn't make sense and adds complexity and overhead.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdding complexity while reducing management opportunities may not be the best strategy.

Good company, good benefits, dedicated co-workers, limited advancement

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe benefits and work-life balance are excellent. Co-workers are dedicated and fun to work with. Work is interesting and meaningful.

ConsAdvancement is extremely difficult. Will probably have to leave company to advance your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are suffering change fatigue. The MITRE Way still isn't well-understood at the lower levels.

Awkward for a Recent Grad

Economic/Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at MITRE full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible schedule, good vacation, client interface

ConsAmbiguous goals, pointless work, lack of direction

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide new hires specific assignments. Need much more specificity when starting out.

Great Work-Life Balance but Little Opportunity for Reward

Lead Engineer (Current Employee)
Annapolis Junction, MD (US)

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe company and management give employees a lot of flexibility in how they perform their jobs and handle personal responsibilities. Some opportunities for doing research if you are in the right organization. Our customers respect our expertise.

ConsLittle opportunity for advancement unless you make the right contacts in executive management. Salaries are flat, so with rising health care costs and benefit erosion, most employees net less every year.

Great Place to Work

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)
Bedford, MA (US)

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat place to work. Important mission, challenging technical work, good benefits and career development, possible to maintain work-life-balance. Great communication from senior executives (Directors and Above). Good communications on promotions, values, and business environment.

ConsStaff must be proactive in career development discussions with management, partly because middle management can be mixed quality. Like anywhere, work-life-balance is a trade-off, and you may be a bit sidelined (and unhappy) if you become invisible. Benefits were reduced to remain competitive with the marketplace, but are still among the best. Challenging customer funding environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain career development opportunities. Ensure middle management is in lock-step with senior management. Maintain an open and communicative dialog on strategic direction and external environment challenges.

An interesting place to work that can be a bit stuffy at times

I have been working at MITRE full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe work tends to be engaging and technical. The staff can about the mission of the company.

ConsWhile there is good work, at times the work can become less interesting. Management also seems to be doing some re-orgs with no clear explanation of why it's beneficial.

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MITRE reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for MITRE CEO Alfred Grasso. All 398 reviews are posted anonymously by MITRE employees.