MITRE

Updated 23 February 2015
3.5

MITRE President and CEO Alfred Grasso
Alfred Grasso

Pros
  • people pretty much respect your schedule and are supportive of work life balance (in 130 reviews)

• Good Benefits; however, not as good as they were 25 years ago (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to grow salary and climb the ladder, but the work-life balance is great (in 16 reviews)

• Some upper management seems to talk out both sides of their mouth -- dishonest and hypocritical (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, great work

Current Employee - Senior Info Systems Eng in Bedford, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Info Systems Eng in Bedford, MA (US)

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of autonomy, interesting work, working in the national interest. Working with smart, passionate people. Good work life balance. Within the Centers there is the ability to move around.

Cons

Asked to do cutting edge work for industry standard salary and benefits. Doesn't seem like there's much project growth in Bedford, MA. Emphasis seems to be on DC area.

Get out of your offices more and meet the people who make MITRE the great place that it is.

Summer Intern

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Fort Dix, NJ (US)
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Fort Dix, NJ (US)

I worked at MITRE as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

great experience, fun work at Fort Dix, overtime available, good pay for college internship

Cons

No cons at this time

more overtime availability for willing interns.

I have been a MITRE employee for nearly two years.

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Great Work/Life Balance
    -Starting pay is great for new grads
    -I can really feel the impact of my work.

Cons

-Sometimes the work is very tedious
    -Most of the work depends on available projects, sometimes the work i do is not what i ideally want, this can get old very quick.

Since i am a relatively new hire and fresh out of college, this piece of advice does not directly apply to me but I've learned from my older coworkers. If you want to keep employees, please compensate accordingly. I've already seen some of my coworkers do exceptional work and by the end of the year they get nothing to show for it. For me, this is not a problem, yet.

A good place to work

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Great people. Challenging work. Plenty of opportunity. Firm commitment to work-life balance

Cons

Organizational change experiment over the last couple years has caused employee confusion, is excessively expensive and has not improved ability to deliver. Fortunately the employees continue to deliver excellence to the customer in spite of MITRE senior management..

Declare failure on TMW. Keep the valuable aspects (e.g. empowering the PL and improved customer engagement) and scrap the rest.

As DOD work goes, definitely one of the better organizations

Current Employee - Principal Information Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Principal Information Systems Engineer

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Thoughtful colleagues with excellent academic credentials

Leadership promotes collaboration

No organizational firewalls

Training opportunities

Strategic engagements--ability to develop ideas internal and with customers

True work life balance

Cons

Low performers allowed to stick around too long at all levels

Opportunities for more junior staff can be limited due to consulting nature of work and limited business development

Staff can get too wrapped up in FFRDC mission and neglect actually helping the customer

Place for Retirees to Bank.

I have been working at MITRE full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Easy work, tons of remote telework, all government contracts so the work isn't hard. Decent infrastructure.

Cons

Average age of company is around 50...and I am not kidding. Unless you are 50+ and have a PhD not many people will listen. Just suck it up, take the good pay and telework a lot. No bonuses, confusing business model. If you don't like a project you simply leave it for another....at any time. Not sure how clients feel about that though.

I am contractor for MITRE through Provitivi Government Services

Current Employee - Analyst in McLean, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in McLean, VA (US)

I have been working at MITRE

Pros

Allow flexible time. Relax, semi casual environment.

Cons

As a contractor, there are not possibilities to grow or receive training within the company. The benefits of contractors within MITRE are incredible limited.

Great place for government-focused research

I worked at MITRE

Pros

MITRE is a great place to do government-focused research (both military and non-military). There are lots of opportunities for internal R&D funding, and in general, workers have a high degree of autonomy. Work-life balance is great.

Cons

MITRE has 2 main flaws. First, the organization is very top heavy and advancing under age 35 can be challenging. Second, MITRE lacks many modern technical skills (e.g., top tier computer scientists) which can make collaborations or team building a challenge.

Challenging Research Environment

Current Employee - Lead Signal Processing Engineer in Bedford, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Signal Processing Engineer in Bedford, MA (US)

I have been working at MITRE full-time

Pros

Breadth of interesting work, quality of peers, retirement benefits, and work schedule flexibility. This is an environment that truly values *quality* work, something that can be hard to find in industry or at government contractor organizations.

Cons

Salaries are on the low end of spectrum, and the health care packages are pricey,

While most people I talk to appear happy with the actual working environment (myself included), the low salary increases that have occurred over the past several years are starting to create a significant monetary gap that is hard to overlook. If you continue down this path for too long, good people will leave, and it will be hard to replace them with employees of equivalent quality.