MSC Industrial Direct

www.mscdirect.com

MSC Industrial Direct Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014
MSC Industrial Direct – Maumee – “Branch/Call Center”

MSC Industrial Direct CEO Erik Gershwind

Erik Gershwind

Pros
  • Sometimes I feel customer service people are my closest allies in the company(in 5 reviews)

• Great co-workers; good benefits; gives back to the communites they are in(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Highly segregated feel toward upper management(in 7 reviews)

• no room for advancement if you dont play golf with the execs(in 4 reviews)

Growing company that offers opportunities

ProsVisible, active leadership and fast growth organization

ConsFast growth and with that comes change

Good place to work- Could be better

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsProduct offerings and the ability to deliver on time to customer.

ConsTo much mid-management, compensation plan is very hard to understand, Micro management becoming a problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut management team in half so that the sales team doesn't have to carry all the weight of the company. Develop pay plan for all sales to understand. Stop with all the micro management.

Don't use your mind or else

National Sales Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsStable company that is growing. Good systems, processes, procedures. My co-workers generally wanted to do a good job. Good customer service.

ConsYou must act like a robot and question nothing. There is a ton of busy work in order to do your job, just so the leadership can track you. Although the company is growing, there is virtually no opportunity for advancement. Senior Management simply moves the jobs around between themselves.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad Exp.

Warehouse (Former Employee) Harrisburg, PA (US)

ProsThe benifits are ok,the pay is about average

ConsWork employes like dogs.Place is a revolving door

Advice to Senior ManagementWho am i to advise management,they already think they know everything.

A Great Company

Prosgreat People, excellent benefits, rewards for hard working people.

ConsNothing to report. overall a great company

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget about the people who helped make the company it is today.Upper management sometimes forgets about the associates that have been with the company long term and are wowed by something new.

Good Morals and ethics at MSC.

OSA (Current Employee)

ProsGood place to work! The company values are true to what they tell you in training. You get 6 months to build your knowledge and resources.

ConsThe biggest challenge is learning the products, however if you just learn to tell your customer you'll look into whether or not you carry something, not just a flat out "no", MSC probably sells it or can source it.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to grow aggressive strategy to crush the competition

Bad Communication

Buyer (Former Employee) Davidson, NC (US)

ProsNone - the whole experience was very unpleasant

ConsScheduled an interview and canceled 30 minutes before the interview. Said to call to reschedule. After several calls and e-mails with no response I gave up. It would have been professional to call back with a reason they were not rescheduling.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have someone reschedule their whole day for an interview more notice AND a reason would be the professional thing to do.

Helpdesk Analyst

Helpdesk Analyst (Former Employee) Melville, NY (US)

ProsThey are a Great financially stable company

Consthe had very poor lower management

Advice to Senior Managementlearn how to keep quality employees

The only way to get things done right is to do it yourself

Account Representative (Former Employee) Manchester, NH (US)

ProsStrong company with a good reputation, fairly good benefits, excellent distribution system that allows for the offering of a great variety of quality products

ConsSome coworkers are unmotivated and poorly trained, some with 20+ years with the company still do not know how to do the essential functions of the job, especially in inside sales

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease defer more to outside sales reps and accounting executives, especially in their assessments of inside sales

Too many hands trying to stir the pot.

ProsNice office, free coffee, nice cafeteria, good co-workers.

ConsToo many managers in other areas trying to manage the managers in our location by phone.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the Managers manage their own employees in their own state. Seems like a power grab of what Manager can control the other. Divide the duties and let them work independently.

Worked for MSC Industrial Direct? Contribute to the Community!