Magellan Health

Updated 21 September 2014
Updated 21 September 2014
3.5

Barry Smith

Pros
  • Work from home opportunties are good (in 15 reviews)

• They encourage work-life balance, caring for each other, and delivering great customer service (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Llack of management skils in middle management leeads to low employee morale in some departments (in 5 reviews)

• Call center environment, still better then most (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall great company to work for.

Former Employee - Provider Relations Specialist  in  Maryland Heights, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Provider Relations Specialist in Maryland Heights, MO (US)

I worked at Magellan Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent benefits package, great amount of pto, room for promotion if time is committed and educational background is there.

Cons

Was great working for the company up until the recession hit, plenty of lay-offs. Employees were spread thin, hard keeping up employee morale.

Don't spread employees too thin. Help your employees when they need it whether is a personal or work matter, act like you care even if you don't.

My Experience at Magellan Was Great! This company is a good company to work for. No complaints really. The pay better

Former Employee - Data Management Specialist II  in  Maryland Heights, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Data Management Specialist II in Maryland Heights, MO (US)

I worked at Magellan Health full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Their PTO was Excellent. You receive 20 days of PTO starting Jan 1 and prorated if you begin any time through out the year

Cons

That pay is decent but not the best

Good support but salary should increase

Current Employee - MFLC  in  Huntsville, AL (US)
    Current Employee - MFLC in Huntsville, AL (US)

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Autonomy, support, quick response time

Cons

Lack of promotions or feedback

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a bad company to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Magellan Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Employees are treated well, benefits OK. Work life balance was adequate.

Cons

Office culture was a bit "cliquish" Company did not offer many opportunities for advancement. It seemed like the same people were always being promoted or considered for advancement opportunities while others likely qualified were not even considered unless they were "friends" with management. Certain positions were valued more than others.

Implement a more objective system for promoting/identifying internal talent.

Best employer ever!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

They are flexible to your personal situations and supportive. Pay and benefits are fantastic. Management is supportive and inviting of your ideas. I love it there so much, I constantly refer friends and family there. Several have been hired or are contractors and have never been happier!

Cons

Absolutely none. I work in HR, and they are the best crew I have ever come across. We all know it is a team effort and are willing to pick up wherever necessary.

Keep up the great work! Barry, you are fabulous!

Overall, it was a good opportunity and experience.

Former Employee - Care Manager Senior  in  Parsippany, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Care Manager Senior in Parsippany, NJ (US)

I worked at Magellan Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

There were many people who worked there for many years who had a lot of knowledge. Also, there was a lot of effort put in to keep the energy and morale high.

Cons

Often co-workers were too busy on phones to help you when you needed help with clinical case questions.

Management needed to stay focus on a strategy, it changed too often and care managers were caught in the middle. Unfortunately, this location is no longer open.

Provided learning opportunities, very top heavy, with lack of communication.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Magellan Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Expand knowledge, experience in a different field, and learning about a variety of subjects.

Cons

Communication was lacking. Users no prepared to answer consumer's questions.

Communicate more to the users.

A long time employee who would recommend working at Magellan Health to friends and family.

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have found that Magellan really treats 'work/life' balance with the highest priority. It is an open culture with emphasis on continued learning with ample opportunity for advancement.

Cons

The company has offices all over the country with a large 'work-at-home' population. For some, the lack of face-to-face interaction can be a challenge.

Continue to keep an open information environment so all employees feel a part of Magellan success.

I Love It!

Current Employee - Customer Care Associate I  in  Maryland Heights, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Care Associate I in Maryland Heights, MO (US)

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

Been there over 3 months now and I absolutely love it and I'm so thankful to work in such a professional environment.

For the most part 99.999% of the people are pleasant, inviting and friendly and will help you as much as they can.

The benefits are excellent and so many days off with paid holidays and even a few floating holidays for good measure - lol. Other benefits include dental, vision, health and life insurance.

I finally don't have to work nights, weekends nor holidays and next year I will be working at home, keeping all my benefits.

There is a fabulous cafeteria that's sort of like at a major hospital. There is a wonderful staff who helps keep the place clean, that's important to me.

Everything I was told is true. I worked for a few companies where I thought I was earning vacation time or getting a certain salary, only to learn, I was lied to. I have also been in places where it's not too clean or too loud in the work atmosphere, you won't normally find that here.

As a Coordinator we also will get quarterly bonuses.

Last, the company is growing and if you are serious about a career with a job you can retire with, come on board but do your part. If you are a lazy worker, you won't be retained. If you don't like to come to work and like missing a lot of days, you won't make it.

Cons

I honestly haven't had any challenges. I only challenge myself to be as productive because this is an excellent employer who rewards for a job well done.

If you can be diligent in your 90 day probationary period, come to work and pay close attention to your work, you can make it here and have a good career.

Let's keep growing the company because we all benefit and keep finding people who want to help people and prosper professionally.

Stay away.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Richmond, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA (US)

I have been working at Magellan Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

Co-workers are supportive and friendly.

Cons

The CMC is poorly operated.

poor leader at the helm.

Worked for Magellan Health? Contribute to the Community!