Main Street Hub Reviews

151 reviews filtered by
3.7
Main Street Hub Co-Founder & Co-CEO Andrew Allison & Matt Stuart
Andrew Allison & Matt Stuart

Pros
  • You will also make a lot of money along the way (in 6 reviews)

• No matter what work is work, but at MSH they give you an opportunity to make a lot of money, if you can figure out the sale (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management claims to care about employees, but will fire them at the drop of a hat (in 9 reviews)

• Limited room for growth within the organization as they seem to love to promote externally (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Exciting and rewarding to work at Main Street Hub

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I personally came to Main Street Hub because of its mission - helping local businesses to be successful. I really like that reverence for local businesses is the first item on company's value statement, which is lived and breathed by all. Both founders are extremely smart, diligent, and thoughtful in their approach to everything. I have had my questions/concerns answered and followed up by founders personally in spite of their busy schedule. They made a point to take care of their employees.

Cons

The company is growing and changing very fast. The management team is thoughtful about scaling and bringing changes in an iterative manner. But I can see people who like to work in a box and need to know what exactly will happen in the next month and year with high degree of certainty will not feel comfortable here. On the contrary, if changes (for the better) give you energy, this would be the right place.

Advice to Management

Keep being thoughtful and diligent.... Pay even more attention to empowering your employees.

Main Street Hub Response

Jan 05, 2015co-CEO

Thanks very much for your thoughtful review and your kind words about us and the other members of the leadership team. We really appreciate it.

Thanks also for your focus on our customers. We
    ... More

Community Manager

Former Employee - Community Manager in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time

Pros

Fast growing company in a fun industry.
    Lively culture.
    Responsive managers and executives.
    Limitless room for career development.
    Work/Life Balance is great if you work hard during 9-5.
    Great location in a great city.

Cons

Entry level and some mid level positions are paid around or below industry average, as these workers are somewhat interchangeable given the business model. Those who want to move up in the department or across departments will be given opportunity, however, if they earn it.

Lots of non work related drama amongst entry level staff.

Loyal to staff to a fault. Some employees consistently drag team down by producing poor work or causing interpersonal drama or crying every day and it takes forever for them to be fired.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to weed out employees who kill morale with their attitude. Some people complain all day long until they've convinced everyone else on their team that they're unhappy too. You've built a great company that's created hundreds of great jobs, you owe it to yourselves to only give those jobs to people who appreciate them and work hard to keep them.

Great Place to work for

I have been working at Main Street Hub

Pros

Management was awesome, definitely looked forward to working there

Cons

Growth limited, really fast work pace

Great company, fun culture, and driven managers.

Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub

Pros

Amazing place to learn some great skills that can be transferable for any other position. Managers look out for the their team members and are great mentors. Everyone is friendly and the culture is great.

Cons

It is a sales job so like any other sales profession expect a lot of hires and fires. Work hard and you have nothing to worry about. Also this is a growing company so expect a lot of change but amazing training to go on with that change.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! This company is going places!

Amazing company

Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are so many pros to this company and to this position. One that stands out to me, that everyone is looking for when applying for a job, is the potential to grow with in this fast moving company. If you do the basics of the job and do well, you with see growth while getting paid handsomely.

Cons

Cons.....Growing pains. As with any rapidly growing company you'll see and feel some growing pains. Change is apart of life, so being adaptable is key.

Advice to Management

Keep valuing your employees like you have been. It doesn't go unnoticed.

A Focused, Fast-Growing Company Mission-Set on Helping Small Businesses Grow

Current Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you're looking to work with smart, committed professionals in a fast-growth environment, then Main Street Hub is a great destination (not to mention it's right in the heart of Austin). This is a very focused company: focused on its customers (local businesses), focused on its culture (and truly embodying it), and focused on growth...fast! It's also mission-focused company, with that mission being to help local businesses grow online. If you're cause-driven to help "the little guys" succeed by giving them the tools that typically only larger enterprises enjoy, then your passion will fit right in. This is not a paintball and ping pong startup. Yes, there is a ping pong table, but culture starts and ends with customers...and creating growth opportunities for team members along the way.

Cons

What are definite pros for many may be drawbacks for those who aren't looking for or ready for a fast-growth, results-driven environment.

Great mission, exciting environment, and phenomenal people

Current Employee - Team Lead - Content in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Team Lead - Content in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The mission: Like a lot of my co-workers, I was drawn to Main Street Hub because of the mission to serve local businesses. It was a concept I was already passionate about, and it was a pleasant surprise after I was hired to find that the priorities and values of the company truly revolve around serving these merchants to the best of our ability. I feel like a lot of companies boast values that sound great, but don't necessarily live by them. That's definitely not the case at MSH. While the team has grown exponentially since I first came on board, it's been impressive to see that the commitment to our local merchants has remained the driving force of the company.

The work: The actual work on the content team is fun, and employees are encouraged to think outside of the box and approach our work in new ways. I can honestly say that I've never had a boring day at work. On the other side of that, the workload can definitely be tough to manage at times. The company is growing so quickly that sometimes you can end up juggling a lot of things at one time. I personally find it rewarding to be challenged like that on a regular basis, but if you don't thrive in that type of environment it can definitely be overwhelming.

The opportunities: If you want to develop quickly, there are plenty of opportunities to do so. However, don't expect things to be handed to you. The people that work on the content team are truly the smartest, funniest, and most talented people I've ever met. Because of that, the bar is set extremely high. Simply doing your job well will not make you a standout here. If you push yourself, think outside of the box, and find ways to improve not only your own work but also your team's, you will excel here.

The culture: The culture and people at MSH are by far the best part about working here. Yes, the mission is admirable. Yes, the work is fun and there are abundant opportunities if you're willing to push yourself. But the team...the people you spend the majority of your time with during the week...that's why I am excited to go to work in the morning. I can't imagine a better group of people to work with. The hiring process is pretty rigorous, but it's obviously working. Everyone is committed to the common goal of serving our local businesses, which creates a very open and collaborative environment. I really can't say enough about the people at Main Street Hub (at all levels of the company).

Cons

As mentioned above, the workload and high standards can be tough to manage. It took me awhile to figure out how to build in a little work-life balance, but it's definitely possible. Training can also feel a little quick, and there's a steep learning curve.

Advice to Management

As the company scales, it's great to continue to promote internally whenever possible. That is definitely one of the appeals of working in such a fast-paced environment. However, there are definitely improvements that could be made when people transition to a management role. More formal training and a clearer transition plan/timeline would greatly benefit both the transitioning manager and his or her future direct reports.

Challenged daily -- no shortage of learning

Current Employee - Social Media Community Manager in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Social Media Community Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub

Pros

I truly get energized by what's going on here. I'm not quite sure how many people can say that about their job. The core of the company -- or, the reason we're all doing what we're doing -- is to be able to help out local businesses. That mission is evident, and energizing in itself. In looking back through my time here, though, I would not have expected to be learning as much as I'm learning, or to be challenged as much as I'm being challenged. There's a ton of room for growing as an individual. That opportunity for growth is fostered by things that I can easily point to, like professional development presentations, but it's also fostered by the team of people I get to work with every day. The individuals that make up this company, and specifically the Content Team, are a bunch of hard-working, creative, and supportive people. It gets me excited to think about how much the people on this team motivate me to be my best self, and ultimately, to do the best we can for each of these local businesses we work for.

Cons

It's hard to say. There're high expectations. The work is not easy. The company is growing, which can mean you have to try harder to make sure that the culture that's been fostered continues to permeate, or get even stronger. The thing is, those things aren't really cons. They're opportunities.

Advice to Management

Continue to try to keep a consistent pulse on what's going on on the floor. Continue to make yourself available, and to have a bias towards encouraging feedback, and really listening to it. People need to be empowered. Don't rest on what's worked in the past, but have a bias towards what will work even better in the future.

I didn’t know how great a company culture could be

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have worked in a few other jobs before coming to Main Street Hub, both in Austin and outside of Texas. All of my prior jobs were both engaging and demanding, in both positive and challenging ways. They were intellectually stimulating and demanding of my time. I am no stranger to hard work and a lot of work ( these are different things). Let’s just say when you’re doing 30+ hour weekends of work as your first job, you are molded by that experience.

I got along well with co-workers in some of my other jobs and had some good managers who taught me valuable things. I also have worked with people that were not so good, were passive aggressive, and demonstrated a callous disregard for their co-workers. The kind of jobs where you feel eminently replaceable, and get reprimanded for wasting time by going to the bathroom. To claim these companies have a culture is a disservice to the concept; they had environments of fear, anxiety, negative stress, unhealthy cutthroat competition and a lack of trust. Communicating with a manager about concerns was a good way to get in trouble. Peers were competing with each other and some people would truly trample others to get ahead.

These were jobs and environments I experienced in my first few years of working, so when I arrived at Main Street Hub it was like breathing air for the first time.

The culture is steered by the values, and they are the driving force behind what it feels like working at Main Street Hub. The people and the culture are unequivocally the best part about working here, in my opinion.

Main Street Hub is not a place where you can’t be candid with your manager and are nervous. It’s a place where you can communicate with them about anything, and they will devote time to you every week. Communication is not only encouraged, it’s praised.

Main Street Hub is not a place where you’ve only seen the CEO on a picture in the lobby, or the CEO yells at your colleaguel. It’s a place where you can sit down with the CEOs and share a coffee and an idea you’ve got, or strike up a casual conversation about new restaurants in the hallway.

The people here are positive, welcoming, intelligent, and hard working. I entered with some trepidation based on past experiences, but I quickly learned that everybody is incredibly approachable - from front line co-workers to managers and senior executives. Culture is a living, breathing thing - and it’s a strong focus of recruiting. The company wants people who can not only do the job, but fit the culture - and they overwhelmingly attract that. It almost feels like some weird sort of magic that makes Main Street Hub feel like it does. There is a tangible feeling of a being a part of a “team” that is not accidental, it’s strongly cultivated. There’s this force that helps a group of people with completely different backgrounds and interests and personalities mesh incredibly well - and it’s the culture. This was new to me as well. It’s wonderful to feel that you are working together toward something with your peers, and not against each other. Competition is healthy and positive, and not detrimental to that sense of team.

The work at this company (in the Content department) is fun & engaging. I am a fan of social media and a personal user, and if you enjoy using those platforms at all, you will have fun doing the work. There is a lot of writing here in the Content department, mostly on the CM side but some on the PM side. This isn’t like reading through a 50 page financial report to write a one page memo, then sweating over whether or not your boss is going to like it (or even read it). It’s talking to people on Twitter and asking them to come try a restaurant; it’s collaborating with your deskmate to come up with something clever for a post; putting a cover photo of delicious food on their Facebook page that makes you so hungry you have to go to lunch after you finish setting up the profile.

All of this work sounds fun and lighthearted, and by and large it is. But the reason the company does the work is an admirable one, and it is their passionate focus on helping local businesses. It is a company that is “for profit” but is doing something worthwhile and helping thousands of businesses that don’t have the time, the knowledge, or the expertise to do what we do. The mission is a positive and admirable one.

Professional growth and new opportunities at Main Street Hub are available incredibly fast relative to other companies within the same industry. Part of it may have to do with the startup environment (I assume, I am not deeply familiar with other startups), but it also is a meritocratic process. I’ve never been at a company where somebody can become a Team Lead (akin to a middle management position) in under a year. This is a company where it doesn’t matter if you’re 23 and this is your first full time job and you have never managed before. If you’ve have the ability and the drive and the chops, you could be managing a team of 12 in a matter of months, not years. I’ve seen it happen several times over, and confidently feel that the company has made the right call each time. It’s remarkable. I don’t know another company that can offer that. The idea of this was utterly unfathomable to me before coming here. It reinforces that people are rewarded based on work and ability, not experience, tenure or politics. My own personal path and growth in the company has been similar, and I feel the company has given me many wonderful opportunities. Opportunities that I did not, or could not have in prior roles. I have professionally invested in the company, and they have invested in me.

If you made it this far, thank you for your reading and your patience. I’ll end with a final statement that sums up my experience here. When I applied to Main Street Hub, I did it on a whim without knowing much about the place. When I got hired by Main Street Hub, I thought “Well it’s tangentially related to the industry I want to be in so I’ll work here for a little bit until I can get back into that.” I have now been here over 2 years, and it’s my favorite job I have ever had - without question. I don’t expect to stay at Main Street Hub for 30 or 40 years until retirement (or maybe I will?!) but I do know this: I will always relish the experience I have had here, cherish the people I’ve worked with, and reflect fondly upon my time at this company.

Cons

Like I said, coming to Main Street Hub felt like breathing air for the first time. From the culture to the people and the work itself, I didn’t realize I could be so relaxed and happy as well as feeling engaged and fulfilled. My points here aren’t necessarily cons, but more just illuminating things people perceive as cons (they aren’t to me).

The work is engaging and there is a lot of it. I don’t feel like it’s the most intellectually demanding or difficult work I’ve done. I don’t have a problem with this, but I would just let prospective hires know that if this is not the place to be if you are looking to be tested to the absolute limits of their intellectual ability (caveat: it’s because it’s an entry level job).
    If this is your first job, you may indeed feel tested and think a lot is asked of you: you will work hard here. You will be challenged to be creative, to be resourceful, adaptable.

For some new people, the work may feel daunting and overwhelming initially. You’ll get the workflow down - it’s like any job. If you haven’t worked before and feel like the job is too demanding and you have too much work, I can tell you from experience that it can get much harder and much busier elsewhere. Maybe you will have an easier, less demanding job in the future, but the work at MSH can prepare you for what it’s like to be busy and have a lot of work. You will learn time management and you will never be idle either.

Advice to Management

Keep driving the company by the values. Keep communicating like you do. Remain approachable and accessible to your employees. Maintain the candid approach you all excel at. This is something most people will never experience at any other company (at least I haven’t), and it is a tremendous asset you all have. It trickles down throughout the whole Content Department, and if people don’t appreciate it now - they will one day!

Awesome, intelligent co-workers and huge opportunities to grow professionally

Current Employee - Content in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Content in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The content team’s full of incredibly smart, kind people and is growing rapidly -- you’ll meet people from a whole host of different backgrounds and get to work alongside them in an open, collaborative environment.
    The community management role's a great fit for creative and good-humored writers (I laugh more every day than I ever could've expected). Personally, I’ve had better opportunities to grow professionally here than I have in any other job (at the company less than a year and promoted twice) -- it’s really a case of “you get out what you put in,” which fulfilled my (hopeful) expectations of what working in a fast-growing start-up would mean.

Cons

If you’re looking for a consistent, established workplace with policies and best practices set-in-stone, this might not be for you. The team's growing at an incredible rate and as a result, things evolve and glitches crop up from time to time. If you’re happy rolling with the punches as part of a fast-growing team, this is a pretty awesome option.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open and receptive to feedback from all levels of the company -- that's something which sets MSH apart for me personally.