Main Street Hub

Updated 17 November 2014
3.7

Main Street Hub Co-Founder & Co-CEO Andrew Allison & Matt Stuart
Andrew Allison & Matt Stuart

Pros
  • You will also make a lot of money along the way (in 6 reviews)

• No matter what work is work, but at MSH they give you an opportunity to make a lot of money, if you can figure out the sale (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management claims to care about employees, but will fire them at the drop of a hat (in 9 reviews)

• There is not room for growth or personal development (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Main Street Hub is the best company I have worked at so far!

Current Employee - Senior Local Marketing Consultant in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Local Marketing Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best reason to work here is the fact that you get tons of support and you learn a lot!
    I had never done cold calling before and didnt know whether I would succeed. I have been here for 10 months and I have had and have great support and help since day one! I am growing with the company and cannot wait to do even better!

Cons

Its a lot of work but if you are focused and dedicated the day goes by. Its definitely not a 9-5 job-the longer you stay the better you do- but it definitely pays off. Cold calling is one of the hardest things-lots of stress lots of rejection- but if you can be good at this you ca do whatever you want.

I love that we know who our CEOs are, we meet with them and our VP of sales and we are always in the loop of what's going on.

Up and to the right

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The growth has been amazing to watch and be a part of. It's also been great to see how many people have advanced their careers here. The founders are relentlessly focused on culture, and making sure that it scales with the team.

Cons

There are some classic startup growing pains, but the team never buries its head in the sand about them. 401k would be nice!

Growing Start Up

Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Love the company values and the opportunity to grow! The casual work environment is awesome. I love the product we sell the most and what it does for small businesses. The new team lead training was an outstanding choice.

Cons

No employee parking, worried about money for December since the center is going to be closed for 2 weeks. I do not care for having to basically pay back my salary before I start making money. The commission structure needs some work. Also during training we were told we would get $300 per deal in the 1st 30 days, it made no sense that this started the date of hire when I wasn't on the phone for a week and no ability to sell, nor was it clearly explained, so I basically feel like i lost out on $1200.

High paid telemarketing

Current Employee - Social Media Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Social Media Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great job for someone starting their sales career. You will not make much more than your base pay.

Cons

You will not make much more than your case pay. The turn over rate is very high. I've been here 30 days and 7 people have quit, including a manager.

Find a way to provide warm leads.

A great place to start your professional career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Fantastic culture/atmosphere (fun-loving, hardworking and passionate about success)
    - I have never learned so much at a company in my life
    - Pretty good product that will continue to get better and more effective for local biz
    - Uncapped commissions, lucrative bonus structure if you can hit 125%+ to quota
    - Picking up some serious speed/clout in the tech world; MSH will be a household name in the near future, guaranteed
    - Benefits (med/dental/vision)
    - Truthfully amazing CEOs who are incredibly down to earth and do what they can to make themselves available

Cons

- The model for sales seems to be to continuously invest in tools, trainings, etc. to attempt to make reps better at selling so they can make a decent wage instead of raising salaries or at least adding a 401k with some sort of matching. These two things (investing in tools and raising pay) should not be mutually exclusive - they should both occur.
    - Insanely fast growth at a massive scale causes major headaches for everyone involved
    - Managers seem to be thrown to the wolves (usually a team of brand new reps who have no clue yet) from the start; they used to have to cold call for about a month to get a real feel for selling this (difficult to sell) product
    - The true OTE if you hit quota in ATX, month over month for a year, is around $40k. I have many friends who worked at MSH and have since moved on and make $50-100k base salaries + commission/bonus. This is why I say it's a great starting point, even though management refuses to market this as an entry-level job (it is, with entry-level pay).
    - Growth opportunity is becoming more and more nonexistent due to continuous hiring of new managers externally

MSH is at a very, very critical point right now - what will make this company is slowing the growth (but not pausing it), allowing the culture to reset and enabling more support for current employees so we grow with each other, as a team, and can all have a better opportunity to be successful; raising base salaries so people do see this as a long-term opportunity instead of a starting/stopping point; a tenure-based equity program; promoting more from within; and marketing the sales position as entry-level. What will break this company - growing too big too fast, continuing to look past punishing reps who blatantly lie to close deals simply because they bring in numbers, not adjusting the cost of the product to match the territory ($448 is a LOT less significant to a restaurateur in NYC than one in rural Louisiana, for example), and continuing to bring "Senior" level management in externally. How can someone be a senior anything without tenure? What does that say to non-senior management who have been at the company when someone gets hired above them?

I have very high hopes for MSH and I know the CEOs will eventually get around to solving the many problems that come with going from start-up to corporate machine. I cannot stress enough that even with a comprehensive list of cons, I would not be where I am today without the amazing development and support I've received from working here. I highly recommend to anyone interested in learning a TON the hard (best) way to apply. I thank MSH for everything, and I look forward to seeing what the future holds for this company.

Be careful what they tell you during the interview

I have been working at Main Street Hub (less than an year)

Pros

The best Micro-management I have seen within an organization (sarcasm). Typical startup... Free food, keg, music and hit a gong when you make a sale. Although this stuff is cool the company is quickly losing the core values as they grow. Dont be fooled by the growth of the company as they are over hiring to hit their wall street revenue numbers. Percentage of reps hitting goal is irrelevant in their eyes. But it is the most important thing for the reps, who are not making money in line with the company growth.

Cons

Sales rep commission structure is horrible. Hit 100% of your monthly goal and you get a Benjamin. Yes, that's it!!!! Less than 20% of the current sales across the company actually hit goal to make that very small commission, a very small percentage are actually making the money the state. l

Turnover is the worst I've seen at any company. SInce so few people are actually making money the revolving door is spinning constantly. It seems they will hire anyone that applies.

Training is horrible. Less than one week of product and sales training then you hit the phones. 100 dials, 100 dials, 100 dials is all you hear. Teach me to sell before you start talking metrics. After your training you are put on a team and a manager is always on your phone calls coaching from another headset. They are not teaching to to sell, we are just low paid parrott’s repeating what the sales managers tell us to say to the client. The sales process is to bully the client into something they need to make a decision with on the spot. Four days after you speak with someone you better close them as the clients do not but after four days. Why is this? Cuz there is no value in what the company offers. If you give the client time to think or investigate the offering they will not buy. Why? There is not a SAAS this is a team of people managing their online accounts with a hint of proprietary software.

The daily…. micromanage, 100 dials, 2 demos and hopefully get 5 sales per month for the small commission payout. TELEMARKETING to small businesses who don’t want to speak with us. And the leads… Horrible!!!! THey are just outdated lists of recycled businesses. I was told in the interview that we are the only company offering this solution. Not even close, there are many companies offering similar services.

If you need a job they will hire you if you can speak, dress and give the managers a bit of a conversation. But, don’t get used to your manager as I have seen many good managers from different offices leave “for a better opportunity.”

If you are looking for a career with growth look elsewhere. Stock option are a joke, because the amount they give you is nothing more than a small bonus.

The culture is GOING, GOING, GONE!!!! Cookies are good when you hit your amount of customers, but no one is making money.

Don't stay here more than 3 months

Former Employee - Local Marketing Consultant in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Local Marketing Consultant in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The office environment is unmatched. I thoroughly enjoyed every person in the office, including management. There's the beer (after 4), the steady check twice a month, and that's about it.

Cons

The commission tiers are terrible, the pay is low, the product is getting worse. This company is too sales top-heavy and having difficulty delivering quality content to its consumers. Sales grew much faster than account team.

Show a little discretion with hiring - anyone who sends in an application gets a job on the sales floor.

Main Street Flub

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time

Pros

Great benefits, team-building events and esprit de corps. If you can hang in, the possibilities are nearly endless, and the stock options could make your nut for a long time to come. The training is good, but only gets you so far, in terms of how to actually be a success with the company.

On-site management -- the people that actually manage the sales teams -- can be really good or really bad. We got lucky in our office.

Cons

Upper management seems more interested in hiring their friends than in actually doing anything positive for the rand-and-file sales reps that make the money for MSH. The leads that you work aren't really much more than names/phone numbers out of the phone book. The pay is ALMOST enough to starve on, and the turnover is -- no kidding -- better than 90%, maybe even as high as 95%. It's a really tough sell.

Take better care of the people that actually do the work: better pay, better sales leads, better flexibility in product offerings.

Only take this "JOB" if you have none and no options

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Other than some free meals and a few cool people there really isn't much else to brag about. It is all smoke and mirrors.

Cons

No perks, awful benefits. The script is long. The leads suck. You are micro managed. Although like most corporate bs places they say they do not Micromanage, bull poop. No one wants or needs this service. It's not even SaaS because it is not software. People quit everyday. I made a game of betting on who would quit next. Managers are arrogant and overworked. If you did not hit quota, you will be expected to get in early, work late and come in on weekends. They will hire anyone here. I worked with a guy with a full on neck tattoo.Ex-cons are welcome, you will be working along side college grads and felons. It did not take me long to find out why they do not drug test. The base salary is pathetic - picture Boiler Room but with no pay. Like was said earlier, management does a great job of pumping you up BEFORE you actually start to really work/ get on the phones - and make it sounds like once you get things down you will be banking several G's if not more per month in salary. After all reps that have been there several months can do it - why not you - right?
    Nothing could be further from the truth.
    Maybe at one point the leads they received were useful/ interested but that time has gone. Now leads are just recycled over and over off of original leads that have been called on not even 4 months prior. So it is guaranteed that you will be getting leads that have already been attempted to be contacted. The leads essentially are just taken off of Google plus and funneled to the reps with out any real filtering process. Often times corporate chains are listed as your leads in many cases (the solution is geared toward individual SMB owners). In addition the call script is VERY long and complicated - and god forbid you try to deviate from it, management's great coaching advise is to "stick to the script".
    O and when I mentioned before about the reps that have been there a while doing well - there is dirty secret as to why - THEY GET WARM LEADS. That's right, the reps that have been there 6+ months get warm leads; leads that have come off of the website or from trade shows - people that wish to be contacted and hear about the product. So it looks like there are these great reps in each office - but 80% of what they closed are hand fed to them. What you get is one of the highest turn over rates of a company I have ever seen. They hire in groups of people which makes it seem as though they are growing fast - but the reality is far worse - over 60% of the group they hire each month will quit within two months. Take my class - when I left (for a far better paying job) not even half of my original group of people I started with were still there.
    Also management does not have time to coach you as they promise (more below).
    It literally takes 3-4 weeks for new reps to get ONE SALE - and when they do after all of that hard work they get a sickly 250 dollars - whoa - don't blow it all in one place.
    A word on growth - there really isn't any where to go either. When you get hired they brag about how there is all this room for advancement - but advancement to where? To be a slave driving manger or continue to be a phone monkey (who gets slightly more money - and i mean SLIGHTLY: 3k annually raise in base BUT you have to hit your goal of 3 months IN A ROW - which no new hired people had done that I had seen.

Get out while you can. What a sucky place to have to have been a part of. Thanks for nothing.

Fun entry-level job, but I was never sold

Former Employee - Content Team in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Content Team in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Young, fun, hip employees who are smart, hardworking, and creative.
    -Snacks and happy hours.
    Excitement of working at a growing, successful company.
    -Resume booster. I learned how to crank out a ton of work and get really good at my job, then took those skills elsewhere as soon as I could.
    -Middle management is hands on and dedicated.
    -Lots of internal promotion because they're growing so fast.

Cons

-Really repetitive workload that gets to be soul-sucking before long. Many people end up working nights and weekends to finish. Our books were almost always over capacity.
    -If you envisioned a rapidly changing startup with new ideas being implemented every day, think again. From training to evaluation to product improvements, most everything is highly formalized. This is nice in some sense, but it really lowers the morale of some teams when the complaints they've voiced over and over and over again never seem to gain any traction.
    -The Content Team is not compensated for kicking butt in the way that other teams are. A success (and bonus) in Sales or Client Relations ends up being just more work for Content. Different teams are driven by completely different goals, metrics, and compensation, and it all trickles down to the Content Team having to put up with needy clients who our services were never right for to begin with.

I hate to say it, but offering incentivized bonuses or increasing our pay even a little bit would boost morale SO MUCH. I'd have been willing to put up with a lot more. It's really tough living on 31k a year with student loans in a city where cost of living is only getting higher.