Main Street Hub

Updated 27 February 2015
3.7

Main Street Hub Co-Founder & Co-CEO Andrew Allison & Matt Stuart
Andrew Allison & Matt Stuart

Pros
  • You will also make a lot of money along the way (in 6 reviews)

• No matter what work is work, but at MSH they give you an opportunity to make a lot of money, if you can figure out the sale (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management claims to care about employees, but will fire them at the drop of a hat (in 9 reviews)

• Limited room for growth within the organization as they seem to love to promote externally (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Opportunity, culture, growth

Current Employee - Content Team
    Current Employee - Content Team

I have been working at Main Street Hub

Pros

Main Street Hub is workplace to grow with. With a focus on values, culture, and transparency, you have the opportunity to learn by reaching out to leaders and members of other departments (including the CEOs) and really make a place for yourself. I've had many roles here since I've started, and I'm grateful for the opportunities I've had to learn and develop skills I might not have otherwise.

One of the things that I value most about working at Main Street Hub (in particular, on the Content Team) is the emphasis on innovation and creativity. Even our newest team members are adding fresh ideas to the mix right off the bat and on a regular basis. Every day is different, and it's inspiring to work on a team with such smart, talented people.

Cons

With growth, there's a balancing act of building up effective processes without stifling the flexibility that has gotten us to where we are now. That can cause some confusion, but I know that we're heading in the right direction in terms of maintaining that balance.

Maintain a focus on scaling culture as we grow. The increased regularity of professional development opportunities has been of great value to me, personally, and is something I'd like to see continued.

Love this place! Great mission, great energy, tons of upside.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Get to work on something that truly matters - helping local businesses thrive. And it's growing like crazy, fastest growing start-up in the Austin area.

Cons

All the growth means things move quick, and you have to work hard - not necessarily a bad thing. Great to be surrounded by motivated, ambitious co-workers.

Keep crushing it! And keep bringing in great people, the team overall is awesome.

Excellent opportunity

Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Phenomenal culture, good pay, and lucrative industry with tons of training available.

Cons

None. It's really all up to you.

Reopen LA!

A great company where you can truly be part of "something bigger" .Training and management is among the best out there.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Main Street Hub

Pros

work with a great collaborative team, train with managers who are designed to be there to support, educate, and elevate.. Upper management continues to find ways to improve the quality of the experience not only for the clients but for the employees.. improvements in comp plans, managers going the extra mile to lead reps into the path of success.

Cons

lines of communication between departments could use a little a bit of a tweeking.

keep it up!!

Good way to get your feet wet, then dip out.

Former Employee - Social Media Community Manager in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Social Media Community Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Young, fun, smart coworkers who are awesome to collaborate with. Wear whatever you want to work. Excitement of being part of a fast-growing company. Middle management is super approachable. Lots of chances to be promoted to middle management, if you're into that. Great resume booster where you can learn to get a lot of work done for a company that tech people are familiar with. If you want to get into the tech scene in town but don't have a technical background, this is a great place to start out.

Cons

If you're not a cheerleader ready to plaster your every digital communication with #Hublife, you might feel a little out of place. And if you can't find the perfect gif to replace your lack of useful contribution on an email thread that is already 30 messages too long, you might feel a little out of place.

The work is a repetitive grind that has many employees working nights and weekends to finish. Not everyone can hack it. Sometimes you'll get the sneaking suspicion that sales straight up lied to your customer, and there is no way you could ever write anything that would please them.

This is most of the CM team's first full-time job, and CMs are utterly replaceable. It doesn't matter how many records you break, or how many times and how thoughtfully you Speak Up (one of MSH's values), you are just another cog in the wheel. You can and will be replaced by the next round of UT grads. This isn't to say that MSH is a bad company to work for. It's just that it's best if you treat the experience as a stepping stone to learn what you can so you can move on. It will make the meager salary, useless meetings, nauseating email threads, and repetitive workflow more bearable.

Tone down the pressure to contribute so vocally all the time. It has a bunch of people yakking and taking up valuable time for no other reason than to get participation credit. A little less emphasis on the #hublife culture, and a little more incentive to perform would help you keep your strongest employees.

Glorified call center with perks.

Current Employee - Local Marketing Consultant
    Current Employee - Local Marketing Consultant

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Generally they play a nice mix of loud, entertaining music, benefits from day one, in my experiences people have at least been nice and willing to help when asked, free food (bagels, beer, cereal, fruit bars...), ample and on-going training. From day one you feel like a team and when you are able to begin dialing you immediately feel like part of the larger picture.

Cons

Expected to make 100-150 dials, the leads are horrible (yes you can prospect but not on company time), too often management will do "power 15" where you must stand to "increase your energy" but it's more of a headache reminds me of being hazed, everyone takes lunch at noon (not sure why we aren't able to choose our own lunch time).

Customer success manager

I have been working at Main Street Hub

Pros

I like working there because of the environment of people and everyone is really nice

Cons

Pay is okay but you really have to work hard and stay organized to get things done

Great place to grow your sales career

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They've made a lot of changes since last summer that are great if you want to sell. Better career path and perks like warm leads and transportation bonus when you promote, new training team and training, better tools, and now a much better compensation plan for 2015 where you can earn 3x more at quota than last year. And they just added a 401k to the benefits, plus they pay your health insurance.
    I also appreciate all of the sales managers and team leads they've added to help you learn how to sell the product better, which sounds different than other people I know in sales that have no help. Businesses need the product , it works, and we're adding new products this year. The people i've seen that haven't been successful don't want to put the effort into it and then want to complain if they don't hit quota. Just like any sales job, you have to learn the product and talk to businesses to sell. If you're not afraid of making calls and taking feedback, you can be successful here. And I should also mention that the people are great (but everyone else has already talked about the great atmosphere).

Cons

There is a ramp up but, again, it's just like any other job where you have to learn the product, etc. If you do not like change and growth, you won't be happy here. The company is growing and making changes (most of which are good), but I've seen a few people get rattled that don't adapt well.

Keep asking for feedback and making changes to address issues.

Happiest I've been in ~10 year career.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The VPE and CEOs are top notch, like "best boss I've ever had" good.

You get to work with and learn from a team of brilliant people with varied backgrounds.

Comp is excellent, and work - life balance is entirely up to you as long as you get your work done. Everyone is held to a high standard.

You have a lot of opportunity to work on projects that interest you and influence technology/design/product choices.

The company is doing very well and growing quickly. This means that for the foreseeable future engineers get both the benefits of a startup (flexibility, large impact, ownership, small tight team, fun work environment, career growth potential) with the benefits of an established company (excellent amenities/equipment/tools, great office space, solid compensation and benefits).

Cons

There is a large amount of legacy code from the company's 'tiny startup' days that needs a lot of tlc. Luckily management recognizes this and sets aside time for refactoring.

While not really a con, the interview process is really tough and few make it through. So if you plan on applying (which I highly recommend) be aware and bring your A game.

Keep doing what you're doing, hiring great people, and preserving the culture.