Makerbot

Bre Pettis

Hard to describe

Software (Former Employee)

I worked at Makerbot full-time for less than a year

ProsNice, intelligent people all around.
Usually friendly atmosphere.
Great place to inspire and excite own ideas.

ConsSomewhat paternalistic developments.
Difficulties for me to associate with the brand itself.
Not a great place to associate yourself with your own work.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare more within the company and have checks and balances be more distributed.
And give back more to the community/work more with the community.

Design

I have been working at Makerbot

ProsI report to a wonderful person

ConsThe company is still growing

Talented people. Poor conditions.

Somehere In Corporate HQ (Former Employee)

I worked at Makerbot full-time for less than a year

ProsMy experience opened lots of doors. I met great people, many of whom are no longer employees. Overall, my experience was valuable, The health benefits were great.

ConsEmployees are grossly underpaid. Work/life balance is askew. It was a no-brainer to cut my losses and find a company where the leadership truly appreciates their employees, pays a generous salary, and doesn't dangle carrots.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay closer attention those that have been with the company from early on.

A phenomenal opportunity to be apart of an industry leading company in a cutting edge technology.

I have been working at Makerbot

ProsOne of the biggest things that makes a company a great place to work are the colleagues that you collaborate with everyday. We've got some brilliant and fun loving individuals.

ConsThere's always more work to do, so it's important for employees to maintain a healthy work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's definitely valuable to continue to foster the culture and appreciation for all your employees.

MakerBot is an exciting company. It is great to be working for a company who is leading the next industrial revolution

I have been working at Makerbot

ProsMakerBot is a company that inspires creativity, innovation and a great working environment. It is great to be part of a company that is growing and expanding and having an incredibile impact of the lives of many; especially the future of our children in the areas such as science, technology, engineering and manufacturing.

ConsMakerBot requires long hours and hard work but that is also what makes the company great.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep engineering great products and innovation that will continue to change the future.

My experience at Makerbot Industries (I call the place "The Enchanted Land of MakerBot")

Productor (Former Employee)

I worked at Makerbot full-time for less than a year

ProsThey provide their employees with full health and dental benefits through Aetna. Full-time hourly employees receive 10 PAID days off (although any specific day requires one-month advance notice) each calendar year as well as 5 "sick" days (I believe this is right?) They participate in NYCT's TransitChek program. They offer direct deposit. It is BROOKLYN!!! and there is, from the factory, a spectacular view of the city. There is fresh fruit available in the break area every morning. The vending machines dispense snacks and beverages for twenty-five cents apiece. They give out cupcakes at the beginning of every month to celebrate the birthdays of any employee for whom it might then be applicable. There is a monthly "bagel breakfast" held at which a newly instituted 'employee-of-the-month' (as well as other incentive-based awards) program happens. Sometimes they buy pizza or sandwiches from Costco for the employees' lunch. There was one time when they actually served ice cream. There is a company softball team (although I never played on it). Everybody gets a t-shirt (I still got mine but really and truly never wear it). I was offered stock options. And there are some people there who I will remember fondly all the rest of my days.

ConsThe "at-will" termination clause written into each hourly employees' contract. The puntiliousness, reminiscent of my experience in elementary school, in the observance of their "occurrence" (i.e. tardiness) policy. Their policy of "mandatory overtime". The operational culture there is arguably nepotistic and not meritocratic. The most salient and germane of their deficiencies is the poor management capabilities -- very poor indeed (and by which I do mean more than simply the physical separation of their corporate offices from the factory/ warehouse facilities). Allow me, however, to steer back once again toward the statement of verifiable fact (having admittedly swayed into the oncoming traffic lane of personal opinion, indeed): I began work at MakerBot Industries on February 20th, 2013 as a 'Productor'. I, along with four other gentlemen winnowed out during the previous week's interview process (please see appropriate section), arrived at the "Botcave" (as the 'original' space is still affectionately known) along with the entire production staff -- almost every single one of whom was then returning from a two-week UNPAID hiatus resulting from a supply-chain interruption. At approximately the same time (the end of February) an entire level of management was hired on to oversee operations at what was to become their new factory/ warehouse facility. (The corporate office had by then already been established downtown.) Over the course of my almost-five-months-long tenure at their factory/ warehouse (I did resign on July 10th, 2013) I performed five distinct operational tasks: subassembly, final assembly, inspection, packaging and inventory control. In my first 45 days of employment I had three-and-one-half days off total. These were predominantly 10-hour-long days and involved either "ramped-up" production (before the relocation of the production facilities on April 1st) or, toward the end of March, everything that was involved in physically moving into "The Enchanted Land" (as I call the place). Soon after reaching 90 days of employment I received a perfectly satisfactory performance review (I had used one sick-day, waking up with it in the morning and calling in that day, and two days when I was one-and-one-half hours late {though these were days when I had previously informed, and received permission to be late from, my immediate supervisor} -- he also being my performance reviewer who in response to the direct question I asked at the end of the evaluation, "What more can I do better for you all?" answered "Not a thing.") and accordingly received the maximum allowable pay-wage increase of $3.00 per/hour. Roughly the last five weeks were wholeheartedly devoted to the systematic organization of their warehouse and the execution of an annual "auditing" (counting of the entire warehouse on-hand stock) procedure. "Arguably" (my tell-tale word) from mismanagement, poor decision-making and simply the chaos involved in actually 'moving' everything one has to anywhere else, "undesirable" (again my word) numbers and confusion resulted. Although "mandatory overtime" was no longer obliged of me (or anyone else by that time), I did, on more than a handful of occasions, go home completely and utterly exhausted (indeed having stayed late) only to pass out at home and just hoping to be able to be reasonably functional on the next-day. I suffered an allergic reaction (such as requires medical attention) to a pair of work gloves I unfortunately decided to make use of one day -- but kept on working. My birthday (which I, perhaps idiosyncratically, am wont to take off and spend as I will) fell on the day right in the middle of the week long affair the "auditing" process itself turned out to be: I worked it (my hands messed up)!!! The actual results of how everything turned out, for well or for ill, I was not made privy to. I had given to them my best efforts though; yet despite enabling the duly-licensed outside 'auditors' to most easily make their assessments (items most readily countable were invariably chosen by them and reflect my exclusive preparation (mine and that of my three helpers), and the fact that my own numbers were invariably within 1% of these same professionals' (and I dare say God's) own reckoning, I nonetheless could not persuade upper management that I merited the advertised, and salaried, position of "Supply-Chain Project Manager" (the job description for which would imply, at the very least, the disallowal of any such "arguably" mismanaged affairs ever again occurring in the future). It is, however, company policy for newly-hired Productors to wait six months before applying to any other position not constituting a "lateral move" (whatever that may mean). I, personally, haven't the patience and am at an absolute loss to understand what more I might have shown them in those last five weeks which would have prompted any further consideration on their part -- Oh yeah, that's right, I did have something, didn't I? (and have, in fact, just made a wicked 'inside' joke to those very few who are indeed in the know about this -- and to all others who aren't but still have had the patience to continue reading this far, please understand that I have finally arrived at my point): If anything about what I have written here, (because every one of these statements -- exempting those duly noted -- can be substantiated) has "raised a red-flag" in your mind, I stipulate that MakerBot Industries really and truly has no place for someone like you. Unless, of course, you are willing to do the kind of work I have alluded to, as well as I did, for $13 per/hour (this is a 30% pay increase from the actual starting wage so one shouldn't expect the next to be so very
'generous'), or you are an engineer. Because if you are (either) then Come on down I dare say MakerBot will make up (if not find) a job for you (since) Engineers, I have said this before (out loud, in fact, just ask 'um), are Cool -- really and truly. But Productors - for them I just cannot see any there ever thriving until they take upon themselves the organization of a union. And there are some people there who I will not remember fondly any of the rest of my days.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the Director of Operations at the factory/ warehouse (and those to whom such petitions must eventually be made): central heat/ AC on the factory, if not warehouse, floor. To the members of the "leadership" team: think hard to answer the question as to why Adam Mayer and Zack Smith (among any number of other presumably hard-working and talented individuals) no longer wish to be involved in what may well prove to be your history-making endeavor; and then go ahead and cash-in the winning lottery ticket you all are sitting on -- Lord knows you deserve it. Let Stratasys, Ltd. make a corporation of your company and please remember for the rest of your days what is, in fact, the god's honest truth: We are all of us in this-(business-of-life)-thing together; and so you share the work, and you share the wealth. And to Bre: you need a speechwriter (while everyone else is pondering the inquiry proposed above).

Amazing Opportunity

I have been working at Makerbot full-time for more than a year

Pros- Chance to get real experience in a dynamic industry
- Fun office and atmosphere; great co-workers
- Approachable upper level management/leadership team (perks of a start-up)
- Employee rewards for hard work

Cons- Salary isn't great if you're not in a high-level position, but it's worth the pay cut to get a foot in the door of this innovative company and industry

Advice to Senior Management- Continue to notice and reward employees who are doing well and working hard
- Sponsor training for all employees in every department

An amazing group of people being taken advantage of...

I have been working at Makerbot full-time for more than a year

Pros-You will never work with more talented, genuine, kindhearted and intelligent people than the ones you will find at MakerBot. Most of these people will be the leaders and innovators of the future.
-3D printing is an amazing field to work in, it will change the world, and it is great to be a part of that process. Our products are great and could be the best.
-Lot's of honesty and openness amongst employees. We are all on the same page.
-Some managers and a few chief officers are good and fair people, true leaders.

Cons-The pay is extremely low, imbalanced and an insult when compared to the money the company will waste in other places.
-Certain employees are treated terribly. Paid unlivable wages, forced to work more than should be expected of one person and treated poorly the entire time.
- There is a clear divide between production, corporate and retail that is getting worse and causing communication to become difficult.
-The most powerful, and I'm assuming highest paid, employees are mostly friends or relatives. This wouldn't be so bad if they seemed more capable.
- We have already started to lose the best employees, and more will follow if things don't get better.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the good managers and leaders:
Keep fighting the good fight. Push back against unrealistic goals and deadlines. Pay close attention to your employees.
To the very top:
Please leave. You're stifling, suffocating and negative. Your paranoia and greed are showing. Make your money and get out.
To the current and future investors:
This company is a gold mine full of amazing talent and opportunity. We are waiting to flourish. Have us treated better and there is nothing we can't accomplish.

The Walmart of 3D printing

I have been working at Makerbot full-time for more than a year

ProsThis used to be a great company and I still want to believe that the potential is there. There are still a few people knocking around that are entrepreneurial and team focused. Rather than looking out for themselves, they're trying to move the company forward in an industry that's now competitive. We're no longer the only ones making 3D printers and we need to work smarter.

The demise of Makerbot has little to do with growing pains and a lot to do with the lack of leadership. Maybe other reviewers feel the same way, but I'm writing this because I feel I have no other outlet to get my message across and it seems these Glassdoor reviews are actually getting some press.

ConsThe lack of leadership has touched every aspect of the company, from hiring practices to general culture (hint: there is none). Over the past six months, managers have been hired who seem to have personal connections to one of the C level staff, but have no discernable skills or leadership capabilities. The same C level staffer is also involved in every hiring decision made, which really highlights the day to day micromanagement that's in place as well as management priorities. I feel that the entire top/mid level of the company has been replaced over the past year with yes-men doers rather than thinkers who can help get the team motivated and Makerbot competitive. As another reviewer mentioned, the CEO fired the marketing staff last year and replaced them with his father. I think that sums up the hiring practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're not a small company anymore. Get out of the details and start running a business, start hiring people who have the skills we need not the connections, communicate with your employees both in the office and in your factories and start shaping a company culture. Figure out how to motivate people. Pay sucks, potential for career growth is a joke, and morale is in the toilet. You've known this for a while, how are you fixing it? Don't wait for people to just quit in frustration like Walmart.

Great Company doing amazing things

I have been working at Makerbot full-time

Pros-Really great group of people that work here
-Office environment is nice
-Good work culture

Cons-Quick growth can create lots of change which isn't easy for everyone

Advice to Senior Management-When companies grow quickly communication with employees is key
-Recognize those doing exceptional work. Positive reinforcement and recognition for a job well done go a long way

Worked for Makerbot? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Makerbot reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Makerbot CEO Bre Pettis. All 24 reviews are posted anonymously by Makerbot employees.