Market Strategies International

Be The First To
Add Photos

Market Strategies International CEO Rob Stone

Rob Stone

Promising company; needs to pay attention to non-management

I worked at Market Strategies International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people in the Portland office but the Livonia office is highly corporate and very stuffy. Decent work life balance. Occasional training. Some managers are flexible with work at home and flex time.

ConsNo good / clear career paths. Lower than average industry pay. Very cut-throat environment; not at all collaborative. Very top heavy (upper management/vps) which leads to a great workload on analysts.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing top heavy hurts the organization. Need to recognize people for their work and make the company a much more collaborative environment which will promote greater teamwork and more innovation. Listen to your analysts, they are in the trenches everyday and have the 'spark' to take the company further.

Expanded Insights.

Telephone Research Interviewer (Current Employee)
North Little Rock, AR (US)

I have been working at Market Strategies International part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe work force at MSI actually represents a dynamic portion of a transitional society.

ConsMarket Strategies can and does possess the capability of having a dynamic work force that can further accommodate eligible employees to home-based and/or virtual offices; therefore, I believe a cost versus benefit analysis should be seriously researched.

Advice to Senior ManagementDuring down times, a well-organized face-to-face meeting to communicate employee and management concerns would be a valuable asset to achieving the company's short and long term goals.

This is not the same MSI

Manager (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Market Strategies International full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI liked working with MSI. My team was dedicated and really enjoyed the work. We made some long lasting relationships and did very well while we were together.

ConsSometimes it was stressful. Keeping clients happy was sometimes tough, but we managed to be able to keep most people happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo it again!!

It is very monotonous and there is no motivation.

Surveyor (Current Employee)
North Little Rock, AR (US)

I have been working at Market Strategies International part-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible hours
No physical strain
Can work extra hours

ConsSitting for long periods of time
Very monotonous
Place is not appealing
Advancement through favoritism
At the end of the month there is not enough work for everyone. Many are sent home very early
Unsteady pay when it comes to the end of the month

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more motivation to employees
Pay more attention to those who really do work

Great people, poor management

Livonia, MI (US)

I worked at Market Strategies International

ProsThey tend to hire very knowledgeable people, some have extensive industry experience.

ConsSmart people don't always make good managers. Overall, company lacks quality staff managers; no consistent systems to develop employee talent across the company; no clear career path for employees.

Good old boy network of who you know rather than what yo know

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Market Strategies International full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThey start with 3 weeks of vacation which is uncommon for full-time jobs.
All employees are allowed to work from home once a week.

ConsLow salaries for tech people. Promote only those that are friends with the bosses.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the number of VPs and spend the money on low level positions that actually get the work done. Do we really need 30 VPs for the turnover we have?

good company for family person

Product Manager (Current Employee)
Taipei (Taiwan)

I have been working at Market Strategies International full-time for more than 3 years

Prosliberal, work and life balance, full of opportunity internally

Consflexible, lack of centralized power to control oversea business

Advice to Senior Managementbe stronger to manage global business

Good company to learn market research

Senior Supervisor (Former Employee)
South Bend, IN (US)

I worked at Market Strategies International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYo get to cross-train, and learn different aspects of supervisory positions.

ConsSometimes long, unpredictable work shcedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more respect to hourly workers; many times, they have more experience and education that the managers do. If not for them, no one would have a job!

Comprehensive exposure to market research; lacks defined career trajectory for most roles .

Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Market Strategies International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAll functional roles work closely together at all levels, promoting a solid team-oriented culture.

Flat organization with a few exceptions.

Supportive HR and training initiatives.

Process, process, process, a must-have for an organization with multiple functional roles working together.

Data management better than other firms, but definitely has plenty of room for improvement.

ConsPromotions rare outside of client management roles.

Large salary disparities within individual functional roles.

Outsourcing data management and other roles diminishes deliverable quality and follow through.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote staff more frequently, especially star performers. Verbal merits only go so far. Provide staff with more constructive feedback to promote effective skill building and creative solutions to career paths.

Good post High-school survival job.

Surveyor (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible shifts.

Great for students with low living costs and going to school.

somewhat familiar territory specially for those fresh out of high school.

minimum wage, slightly higher wages for Spanish speakers.

Variety of age groups, great for some new types of friendships.

freedom to read, sow or do other things which calling. (except those requiring electronics)

Friendly people for the most part.

Consvery close to a dead end job. very few raise to higher levels of management and in y experience it took them more than 2 years each. i have worked there for over a year and a half.

Hours are not very consistent though rarely lower than 20 per week.
enough to survive on but not much if you aspire for more. the average for me has been about 24h/w when im scheduled for 28h/w.

Innovation and creativity are not of value as a surveyor at MSI. this may have to do with it being a large franchise and there being significant layering of policies that make for a somewhat controlled and rigid environment.

The high control environment can become frustrated for more mature individuals.

Can get boring pretty quick.

Performance incentives are not good. they add about 25 cents + to your hourly wage if you are a top performer after 3 month period reviews. which on a part time bases adds to about 2 extra bears a month, maybe 3. not that much. this for me and many others ive worked with, leads to aiming at a, "good enough" productivity to pass, but not good enough to excel since its just extra work without extra pay. basically, for lack of a better word, mediocracy is the standard.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet up a more profitable bonus structure. try to lower overhead costs and add those to surveyors at a per survey basis, calculated per complete per hour. this i think should enhance productivity and worker happiness. which might help keep employers for longer and lower training and turn over costs.

Worked for Market Strategies International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Market Strategies International reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Market Strategies International CEO Rob Stone. All 22 reviews are posted anonymously by Market Strategies International employees.