Marriott

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.6 1,219 reviews

Marriott President & CEO Arne Sorenson

Arne Sorenson

Pros
  • Marriott really focuses on a good work-life balance (in 32 reviews)

• Great benefits such as steeply discounted hotel rooms when traveling (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance went away with the re-organization of the sales department (in 38 reviews)

• Some times the demands to work long hours proves to be a burden to associates family members (in 63 reviews)

More Highlights
1,219 Employee Reviews

Wonderful company, Many perks, and plenty of room for growth

Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) Anaheim, CA (US)

ProsThe perks of working at Marriott are great. Hotel discounts, connections, etc.

ConsHotels are 24/7, so you will most likely be working a lot of hours, weekends, and holidays.

I enjoy the multi-faceted approach to customer service from the interview process through to the guest follow up!

ProsGreat Staff through out the whole Hotel. Great holidays and good teamwork. It is great to learn that senior management take an interest in the day to day operations.

ConsThere can be a lot of difficult processes to be overcome. Salary is not amazing. You can not always get what you want, the bigger picture must be realized.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep communicating, keep checking, keep training and keep up on the positive work :)

My Housekeeping Manager Experience at Courtyard

Housekeeping Supervisor (Former Employee) Bethlehem, PA (US)

ProsOpportunity for advancement, benefits, promotions. Job is very dynamic, and you always meet good people where you learn from and help you throughout your job.

ConsLike in any hospitality industry, you know when to start working, but due to the nature of business itself, you do not know when to finish

Advice to Senior ManagementSupervisors and managers should have assistants in order not to extend the long hours of work into one employee.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experiences, great people!

At Your Service Agent (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsWork-life balance was great! Several discounts with different affiliated companies. Great benefits. Endless amounts of opportunities to move up the ladder. Compensation was always the highest in comparison to the competitors.

ConsFormer and some current people in leadership that bends the rules too often and not following policy guidelines. Too many people using FMLA as an EXCUSE for everything (i.e. used to get days off if they don't want to work) and not what it was intended for. Besides that, everything was great!

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training may be very helpful for many of the employees that consistently make errors. Seniority shouldn't give someone an excuse to get away with something (i.e. constant tardies and/or call-offs).

Great Advancement

Bartender (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

ProsThe people and atmosphere is great. Management, benefits and pay was great.

ConsCorporate companies are hard to work for, constant annoying changes and sometimes the change makes the situation worse. One ex : Restaurant employees now have to wait 2 weeks for a check so all the CC tips can automatically be taxed. Servers and bartenders are in the industry to have their tips that day not 2 weeks later

Advice to Senior ManagementThe guest are important not your meal coming out on time, just for you to close it out to an account. Do more for the employees. Doubletree was a smaller hotel and had bonus, rewards and free trips for each employee but with Marriott you had to win it in a drawing

Great company

Guest Service Representative/Night Auditor (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsBenefits package, tuition reimbursement, 401k, job stability, meeting people from all over the world, open door policy, empowerment to make decisions, employee discount for employee and immediate family.

ConsAs a 3 year employee I'm finding it's difficult to move up in the company. It's all about who you know and not the hard work being put in. Work/life balance. Constant back to back or double shifts. Week starts on Saturdays but schedule comes out on Thursdays. Pay can be low for the amount of work and stress dealt with on a daily basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to train the employees who want to move and passionate about hospitality. Ask the employee if they can work a turn around shift before just assuming they can/will. Spirit to serve associates isn't consistent at all properties.

Good benefits for working n service industry.

Server (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ (US)

ProsAs a waitress I received full benefits, including health insurance, paid time off and retirement. Seemed like there were good opportunities for growth if you were interested in the supervisor/management track.

ConsPay was not that great if you wanted to transition into a supervisor or such. A couple of the servers/bartenders tried out being a supervisor but the pay cut was too much so they went back to serving. Also, all hands on deck over the holidays, etc.

Marriott International

ProsMarriott International is by far the best company I have had the opportunity to work for. With the offering of health insurance, 401K and the chance to move up in the company not many can beat it.

ConsHours are sometime a bit inconvenient at times, which really isn't an issue. The only con i can think of is that other hotel companies seem to pay more.

FIne

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosclose to home and good training

Conspretty bad communication and benefits. it was union, so difficult to get rid of bad employees

Great Employer. Takes Care of the Employee

ProsAlot of advancement available. Alot of knowledgable people to learn from

ConsI have nothing bad to say about the company!!

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!