Marriott Vacation Club

Updated 29 January 2015
3.4

Marriott Vacation Club President Steve Weisz
Steve Weisz

Pros
  • Excellent Leadership and a Great Benefits package (in 14 reviews)

• Good work/life balance; Employee discount program (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay didn't match the hard work we had to do (in 3 reviews)

• comp plan has changed numerous times but not that great of a variance, very high turnover but I'm sure that's normal for a call center (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Unlimited opportunities for growth, performance based pay, always new opportunities that are most of the time lucrative!

Current Employee - Marketing Team Leader in Myrtle Beach, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Team Leader in Myrtle Beach, SC (US)

I have been working at Marriott Vacation Club full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working in a commission based job sometimes has negative connotations, however the sales and marketing department at OceanWatch is always growing with new limitless opportunity. This job is what you make it, and the harder you work the more $$ you make!

Cons

Change is difficult for some to deal with, but if you like changing pace and direction frequently then you will thrive in this environment.

It is important to hit budget, especially for management. However, talking about it in the way where employees only hear about the best interests of upper management hitting their bonuses can be upsetting when some of those budget cuts are detrimental to certain departments.

It was a great experience!

Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They understood that family comes first and leadership was always understanding

Cons

Some times things seem to be mirco managed

Company growing very quickly with many leadership changes on corporate level.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Lake Tahoe, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Lake Tahoe, CA (US)

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company philosophy but newly separated from Marriott International.

Cons

Outsourcing of on site support.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Former Employee - At Your Service Agent in Palm Desert, CA (US)
    Former Employee - At Your Service Agent in Palm Desert, CA (US)

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The crew was incredible and always willing to help. I wouldn't have stayed as long as I did if it weren't for them. They made coming to work worth it. Some managers knew what it meant to be a part of a team and have the crew's back. A lot of the guests were awesome and just wanted to start their vacations. I got tipped with cash and, one time, a whole lot of alcohol. Now that's a perk! The schedule was fairly flexible, management wanted to this job to be your priority but they also understood if people had second jobs or went to school. Great benefits. If the property did well we would have parties and receive gift cards. Great discount on hotel rooms. Occasionally the concierges would get invites to try local restaurants in the area to try and drum up more business, so that meant we got to go there and eat and drink for free! It was very rare that a time off request wasn't granted.

Cons

Because it's time shares, we're limited in what we can do to help and some guests didn't understand that. Some guests would come just to try and get things for free (cleanings, room credits). The spring break crowd always had a lot of attitude and little money. Really rude guests during peak season who just wouldn't compromise if they couldn't get exactly what they wanted. The pay didn't match the hard work we had to do. 90% of the time the company wouldn't believe an associate over a guest. Some of the managers would try and avoid having to go help with large crowds or angry guests. One associate could mess things up for everyone. As much as they wanted to insist this wasn't the case, there wasn't enough work for everyone when it was slow, and we couldn't even read or surf the web during these times if certain managers were around. I wanted to move into being a rooms controller but kept getting the runaround by management.

Waste of time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cork (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cork (Ireland)

I have been working at Marriott Vacation Club full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly environment, flexibility about working hours but a part from that I cannot think about any other pros...

Cons

Not enough staff, embarrassing management, no chances of progression (unless you are friend with someone), useless HR. They sell their benefits as top quality but with the salary you will get you won't be able to use them. Forget the bonuses (unless you just started in your position). People working there are not evaluated for what they worth and the work they do. Crazy dress code

Consider raise the salary, change in management (especially after all the mistakes they do). Consider revising the incentives, too many things are not clear about them.

Vacations Advisor

I have been working at Marriott Vacation Club

Pros

The bonus is great if you can get the guest to book their vacations.

Cons

balance with everyday life and lack of accomodations available to guest.

I used to like Marriott Vacation Club!

I have been working at Marriott Vacation Club full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They have good benefits. Pay overtime if you need some extra money. At times I sucked up to bad schedules and awful guests because of the benefits. But overall it is not worth it.

Cons

Your chances of moving up are basically based on your relationship with your managers and not how qualified you are. Plenty of well qualified people left to go work somewhere else. They also seem to hire a lot of outsiders instead of giving a chance to people that already know the company and the system, they'd rather train somebody new for about 2 months (yes, it takes about 2 or 3 months to be fully trained in some management positions). They try to make it look fair by giving you a few interviews if you already work for the company, but they are just wasting time as they already know they want to hire their new best friend that never worked hospitality before to be the new manager. I've seen it happen too many times now.

Most managers I worked for were all about team work, but they didn't do their part as the team leader when it came to it. Worse type of management "do what I say, but don't do what I do". Very few were actually being an example to their employees. Most managers I worked for were late for work every day. Which it doesn't matter bc there's nobody there to watch them and they are salaried as well. So who cares if you show up almost 1 hour late everyday? Then they leave early as well. But if you (hourly) are late more than 7 minutes, you get a warning. I've seen the general manager leave work early (4 hours early) to go shopping at Target as well, but they wouldn't let you leave 30 min early because your child is sick and you need to pick them up at school. Overall it seems like management can do whatever they feel like and get away with it. There is absolutely nobody there to take a complaint and actually do something about it. Maybe advice to CEO: Have your managers be watched closer. Maybe have more Engagement Surveys per year. Maybe once a month. If a resort has bad scores for more than a few months in a row, maybe send somebody from corporate to work there for a month or two, to find out what they real problem is. One meeting with somebody from corporate that lasts about 2 hours once a year is not going to make things better.

Great company

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club full-time

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Low Pay for hard work

Reservations

I have been working at Marriott Vacation Club

Pros

Job security, good pay, co-workers

Cons

long hours, no flexible schedule

The job was a seasonal position. No benefits

Former Employee - Pool Server in Myrtle Beach, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Pool Server in Myrtle Beach, SC (US)

I worked at Marriott Vacation Club full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity for growth and cross training between departments. discounted rooms for vacations and trips.

Cons

Conservative thinking, slow processing. lack of innovations,

Marriott Vacation Club Photos

Marriott
Corpoate Office
Entrance Sign (only signage for the resort unfortunately)

+ Add Photo