Marsh & McLennan Companies

Updated 22 September 2014
3.3

Marsh & McLennan Companies President & CEO Daniel S. Glaser
Daniel S. Glaser

Pros
  • Great Benefits, Work life balance depending on the department, name brand recognition (in 26 reviews)

• Good benefits and paid time off is generous (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Noone is recognized except top producers ands senior management (in 13 reviews)

• long hours and not the best management structure in place (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, needs work

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Salary and Bonuses
    Benefits (although declining)
    Great culture

Cons

Lack of leadership
    Dinosaur to make anything happen

Nothing

Good in the beginning, awful after "so called" transformation

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In major markets, it is good to have this company on your resume. In smaller markets, companies don't know who we are.

Cons

Outsourcing many functions to India or moving functions to cheaper parts of the country. This only saves money up front but the loss of knowledge and good talent is more expensive. They need to quit letting people with knowledge leave only to hire replacements that do not know what they are doing. Specifically to Recruiting, managers need to quit accusing and blaming people with false and inaccurate information. If you are looking to Recruit, this is not good environment to work in presently. Heavily overworked and understaffed employees. There is no real advancement for anyone in Recruiting.

Large Company, With a Large Company pace towards Technology

Pros

Cons

If you work in the IT/Software groups within MMC, you can become very frustrated with the red tape when trying to infuse change. Compensation is OK. Expenditures are very conservative.

Those in IT/Software groups within MMC need to be empowered and given the opportunity for creativity.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

MGTI : Milton Keynes - A Fear based environment & perception based actions/reactions

Current Employee - FLA At MGTI  in  Milton Keynes, England (UK)
    Current Employee - FLA At MGTI in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Pros

I'm only speaking of the IT Dept MGTI based in Milton Keynes : This is a really huge company, that DOES have a large number of vacancies, and at times has some really great things to offer any employee. To gain extremely recognizable Corporate experience... this is a good place to be.

Cons

I'm only speaking of the IT Dept MGTI based in Milton Keynes : The environment is fear based. It's very questioning and demanding of answers when things go wrong, with very little being learned from this.

A large number of workplace decisions are based on perception. Rarely do people ask questions about that perception, to make sure, there is actual fact. But, this isn't even something that's hidden... Some managers seem proud of this. Frequently in my early days I was told by my management team "perception is everything"...

There is a significant case of "old boys club" going on here. You can not be fantastic at the real meat and gravy of your role, so long as you remember two things... The rule about perception, and being on great terms with certain members of management.

Perception IS an excellent tool, but only to decide what questions to ask. It shouldn't be used to judge people, or make decisions.

Great Management and Fun Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies as a contractor

Pros

great team environment, no job to small for Sr. Associates to get involved with, great learning experience

Cons

Very difficult t get perm., processes for Canada seem to be disbursed globally

You have the right people in charge, great relationships with their staff and very turned on

Great company and great culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Brooklyn Park, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn Park, MN (US)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is an environment where new ideas are encouraged and considered. They truly value their employees.

Cons

I had a manager that was tough to work for and had a bad reputation in the organization. However this is not the case with most everyone else.

Very satisfied with my job, then it went offshore

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits, plenty of PTO, good salary (except raises) no micro management, great teamwork and nice office.

Cons

My position was "eliminated". In reality it went to India. Job is paperless so the only thing the company was looking to do was save a few bucks in wages. A company with 14+ billion revenue would rather have cheap labor than keep good loyal employees. I have seen so many good employees laid off. I was hoping to retire from Marsh in a few years. Now I am looking for another job.

Value your employees for what they know and not how cheap they can be paid. The end result will be clients will go elsewhere costing the company more.

Worst Place ever

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There are not any good reasons to work here.

Cons

Upper management sucks!!!! They pay millions in compensation packages to fired, ineffective CEO's when they could be passing that down to the people who actually do the work for the company.

Get your heads out of your $%% and realize who keeps your company running and quit padding the pockets of management who does NOTHING!!!!

Former Employee of 17 yrs.

Former Employee - Senior Client Representative
    Former Employee - Senior Client Representative

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Access to high profile Fortune 100 clients. Great co-workers with wide range of experience. Good benefits and paid time off is generous.

Cons

Outsourcing duties such as Accounts Payable to INDIA. Constant changes to software. Trying to produce an invoice and get it turned around within a day is almost impossible. Too much red tape! Below average raises for mid-tier employees. Communication from top to bottom is poor.

Stop re-inventing systems Mdoc's etc...every 3-4 yrs. A new platfort/system will roll out but still has kinks that need to be fixed and little support to fix it in a timely fashion. Bring back jobs to the US so that when you do need to speak to someone in accounts payable that you can understand their English. Reward those employees that go above and beyond (more then a 3% raise!).

Awful

Current Employee - Operations Analyst/Certificate Specialist  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst/Certificate Specialist in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, benefits, benefits, benefits, benefits

Cons

Overworked and way under paid

Show appreciation to employees who constantly go above and beyond and help retain accounts

Worked for Marsh & McLennan Companies? Contribute to the Community!