Marshalls

Marshalls Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Marshalls President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz

Carol Meyrowitz

Pros:
  • "Flexible schedule, no problem getting time off if requested on time"
    in 15 reviews
  • "It is more a of part-time, short-term kind of job"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "You will be bombarded every FIVE MINUTES to see if you got them a credit card or not"
    in 31 reviews
  • "This leaves me in a position of functioning like a coordinator, but receiving minimum wage"
    in 27 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

awesome experience

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee)
North Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Marshalls part-time for less than a year

Prosyou learn how to sale retail and how the merchandise is placed in the store in each of the departments, you learn about the ticketing the merchandise, and you learn great customer service

Consit's not of enough hours to work because all the upper management get all the hours and the paychecks are small with little hours

Advice to Senior Managementgive more work hours

Merchandise Associate

Merchandise Associate (Current Employee)
Milpitas, CA (US)

I have been working at Marshalls part-time for less than a year

ProsThey encourage diversity. The people are very easy to work with, we help each other.

ConsYou can't plan ahead because the schedule comes in a weekly basis, 2 weeks ahead of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are people who work for decades and still working as how they started. Please give them the opportunity to advance on their career.

Good

Cashier (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Marshalls part-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork well with school schedule

ConsToo much stress over TJX Rewards card

Good Experience

I have been working at Marshalls

ProsLots of opportunity to improve processes.

ConsThis is retail...forget about holiday time off.

Not the best place for long term

I have been working at Marshalls part-time for more than a year

ProsBeing able to see all the merchandise first , and time and a half on Sundays. It is a good job if you are just starting off and looking for a small part time job not a place to be if you are looking for longevity or career advancement

Conspay is horrible you work extremely hard to get paid so little. I don't see it as a company that someone would want to stay at long term it is not worth it at all. The store is open all the time most holidays the store is open and if you do not request the time off in enough time you can bet that you will be working. If you are looking for a career this is not the job for you !

Marshalls is an unfair place to work at least my store was.

Front End Co Coordinator (Former Employee)
Louisville, KY (US)

I worked at Marshalls full-time for more than 10 years

Prosfriendly staff and customers. Good to have 20% weekends,

ConsWhere to start. My lady boss was always on the customers side even when they attacked me for doing EXACTLY what my female store manager TOLD me to do. Nothing more embarrassing then to explain a company policy to a customer only to have my store manager come up and OK to break the policy and make ME look like an idiot. And another thing was that my manager upheld the policies EXCEPT for her PETS,they seemed to slide under the carpet and I'm referring to mainly tardiness and call offs by certain employees.
For her PETS,the female store manager would seemingly turn her hear the other way and I think one time one of the assistant managers was about to get her in deep trouble for fixing the records on certain employees and that manager suddenly went away without ANY notice to the workers and we really liked this manager. She is an unfair manager and NEEDS real PEOPLE SKILLS as she DOES NOT have ANY. She NEVER listens to the associates. I'm glad I don't work there anymore as there are better places to work!!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys should make the store manager go through some kind of training program to get some PEOPLE SKILLS and not just say what we want to hear. And all of that fake greeting of the customers. Customers know that there is no real sincerity in her greetings,so why even bother. But all of us employees were told we HAD to smile and greet customers even when the customer were rude.

I currently work part-time for Marshalls.

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee)

I have been working at Marshalls part-time for more than a year

ProsMarshalls allows you to choose which hours and days are best for you to be scheduled to work. They encourage you to approach management with any concerns or dissatisfactions.

ConsThe pay is minimum wage. Last year I received an "average" rating in my review. I am not an average worker; I always try my best to help every customer that approaches me and go out of my way to find what they need. My "average" rating got me a 13 cent per hour raise, which is insulting. I was, however, offered the chance to apply to become a coordinator. I turned it down, mainly because the operations manager is a very difficult man to work with. He is very insulting, unprofessional, and condescending and I would not want to work any more closely with him than I am currently required. My main complaint with our store is that most of the time there is no loss-prevention representative, and no security. We have shoplifters come in very frequently. Two days ago, at closing time with just five female employees working, six thugs came in, stated that they had a gun, and went around the store hollering. When they left, they said they'd be back the next day. I learned that not only were the police not contacted, but that management had not even mentioned the incident to the workers that weren't present, not giving them the opportunity to decide whether it was safe for them to continue to work at Marshalls.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to train the managers in "people skills". You need to pay the workers higher than minimum wage, and you need to make their yearly reviews meaningful by actually rewarding good work with a decent salary increase. Most important of all, you need to treat your employees the way you would want your loved ones to be treated: if a store desperately needs visible security, with an armed officer if necessary, you should provide it. You need a loss-prevention officer on duty at all times. The employees and customers need to see that you take their safety seriously.

Operations Manager

Operations Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Marshalls full-time for more than a year

ProsGood pay for the job, good benefits.

ConsWill work you to death, and then ask for more.

EHHH

I have been working at Marshalls

Prosgood experience, nice discount, good atmosphere

Consbad pay raises, inconsiderate management

Fantastic Experience for someone who Hates working Retail!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Loveland, CO (US)

I worked at Marshalls part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Manager who focused on making Store the best
Great Co-workers and managers
Wonderful experience being trained in all areas
Felt like Family
Able to Focus on Customer Service
Store ran like a well oiled machine when everyone worked together
Great deals on quality items (come on, it's Marshalls!)

ConsManager could have approached confrontation of employees with more sensitivity and dealt with poor attitudes better
Pressing to provide better customer service, than pushing credit card applications
Better discounts and more hiring from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be more mindful of the emotions of the individuals working for you and not playing favorites. Your wonderful vision for the store was made reality and made me proud to work at Marshall's but the situations surrounding confrontation should have been handled better. Consider also donating items that have been returned but cannot be resold to a local goodwill or shelter. Consider Social impact, not just environmental.

Worked for Marshalls? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marshalls reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Marshalls CEO Carol Meyrowitz . All 321 reviews are posted anonymously by Marshalls employees.