Marshalls

Marshalls Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Marshalls President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz

Carol Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Flexible schedule for part-timers going to school (in 17 reviews)

• Works as a easy part time job but there is very little potential for growth (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay : raise did not roll over with minimum wage hike (in 37 reviews)

• You will be bombarded every FIVE MINUTES to see if you got them a credit card or not (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Floor Associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThe co-workers and managers are all very good people. Easy to talk to management about problems with schedule and some of the store policies. The managers are respectful of different cultures and try to make the work environment as friendly as possible while maintaining a professional relationship.

ConsSome of the customers are obnoxious, and difficult to deal with. The Rewards Credit Card is given too much attention while other products by TJX- the Access Card and gift cards- are given little attention.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain the cashiers to be faster when ringing up customers, and inform them about the Access Rewards card.

Great first job

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA (US)

ProsGenerally friendly atmosphere. The work and routine is easy to learn and coworkers are always willing to help out.

ConsSometimes having one person in an entire department makes closing at the end of the day a little difficult, especially during holidays. Managers don't seem to care about associates, as long as credits are sold and the store closes on time.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think it's fine when I see managers just standing around and surveying the store, but when extra help is needed it wouldn't hurt to jump in. Sometimes the two week notice for RTOs cuts it a little close.

Great first job.

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) Winston-Salem, NC (US)

ProsNot an impossible job to do, just have to be willing to put forth the effort.

ConsSometimes customers aren't kind and managers aren't either.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Fort Myers, FL (US)

ProsGreat flexibility with scheduling difficult hours and times. Great on the job training with cash handling, customer service, returns, recovery of store, and putting out inventory. Most people very nice to work with

ConsMinimum wage, long retail holiday hours. Midnight at times!!!

Be ready for a Roller Coaster Ride

ProsMarshalls is comprised of a very diverse group of associates that work extremely hard to produce results to reach the bottom line. It is amazing to learn about the many different cultures and how such a diverse team may come together to drive results and reach goals. Marshalls is a great company to work for when you are just "passing" through or just looking for something to do on your free time. For instance, if you are a college student or if you have a partner who is able to support you and you are just looking for a little extra money and something interesting to do in your free time. Very flexible hours and scheduling. You want off for 4th of July? No problem if you get your RTO in 3 weeks in advance to the scheduling manager.

ConsBeing said, Marshalls brings together a very talented group of hard-working individuals who strive to keep the company thriving in many different economic times. The cons of this is that these hard-working committed individuals do not always reap the benefits with such little non-competitive pay such as minimum wage. Occasionally, a hard-worker will receive a grant raise but, these are given out so rarely to only one or two individuals the entire year if even. If you are a Manager, be prepared to work every holiday and a lot of nights and weekends, creating very minimal work-life balance. Should you want opportunity to move up efficiently, be ready to relocate--anywhere in the district.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand the true foundation of the pyramid--the people. The committed associates who have worked hard to drive results even when the payroll bucket was small--exhibiting more energy and effort to make up for an unrealistic payroll bucket established by Corporate. If Associates were offered competitive pay and not just minimum wage through their experience, then this could solve the problem of turnover being high in some stores due to resignation for a better position. Corporate should communicate more with store-level management to establish connections that could potentially help the bottom line by "listening to learn". Upper Management should utilize leadership principles just as Upper Management preaches to store-level management to utilize it on a daily basis. If Upper Management truly believed in growth and development, there would be a budget for it as well as proper training for the right associates. All of these if fixed could impact the bottom line immensely as well as keep attrition at a healthy level.

Great it is a wonderful environment

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) Bronx, NY (US)

ProsIt is fum to work here helping customers get what they want getting feed back on how am doing

ConsWhen a customer gets upset. I try to my extends to calm the person down help the customer and return a smile in their faces

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds a better Management than

Coordinator

Merchandise Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsLove the people that work there. Always something to do to keep you busy. If you love merchandising this is the perfect job.

ConsEasy to move up in company but the pay is not great.

Great Place to Work for Retail

Sales Floor Associate (Current Employee) Princeton, NJ (US)

ProsFlexible Scheduling (for womens department), 20% off sales for employees several times a year, You get to interact with customers (which I love), 45 minute lunches!

ConsTheft happens ALOT, customers are sometimes rude, sales floor can get messy quickly, clothes in the fitting room can be overwhelming, not enlighten people may be working in your department to help you when it gets busy

Advice to Senior ManagementSchedule more people for busy shifts! Make more strict rules when it comes to theft, train employees for different areas instead of one

Overall good place to work!

Fitting Room Associate (Former Employee) Snellville, GA (US)

ProsGet to meet new people and have fun helping the guest find that perfect garment or accessory. Great hours and they will work around your life and/or school hours. Nice management and team members.

ConsI didn't like pushing the Marshall's credit card on people. If I asked a guest if he/she were interested and they said no, I didn't persist with the offer.

Its an ok job.

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) Upland, CA (US)

ProsFlexible with hours. Employees are really good and cool people.

ConsThe customers that shop there and how management handles schedual conflicts and they mess up paychecks.
    Such as if I worked 20 hours Id only get paid for 16. Its not the firts time its happened to me. Around 5-6 times. Makes it seem like they do it on purpose when they are low on payroll.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep up with the paycheck erros.

Worked for Marshalls? Contribute to the Community!