MassMutual

MassMutual Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall

Roger W. Crandall

Pros:
  • "Good compensation if you produce, friendly work environment"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Good Benefits (tuition assistance) and amenities on site"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "The industry gets a bad rep because it is all commission-based and it is quite difficult to get off of the ground, and this is no different here"
    in 7 reviews
  • "No salary makes it challenging initially"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great culture of support and high performance

I have been working at MassMutual full-time for more than a year

ProsFrom the very second you walk into the office, there is a welcoming environment. You immediately feel that people are happy and that every single person matters in the organization. The core values of the company are growth, personal responsibility and work-life balance and it is clear that the company takes those seriously.

ConsOne thing to consider when working for the company as an advisor is there isn't a base pay. This can be very much seen as a pro or con. Pro being there is unlimited income potential with great benefits and for people that are high achievers, they will thrive in an environment like that. Con being you do need to have some savings when you first start to make sure you can survive the first couple months in the off-chance you don't get a commission check right away.

They focus on ensuring your success.

Financial Professional (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at MassMutual full-time for less than a year

ProsTraining is very comprehensive. The support team is willing and able to answer any questions you have, both while learning and when fully experienced. Everyone in each regional office seems to support one another in other offices if they are dealing with business there.

ConsNot a whole lot of guaranteed pay, if any, for some positions. There is a whole lot of information and techniques to learn to fully do job task, but to the motivated individuals, this is no problem.

People there are pretty nice. As an intern, I learned a lot.

Marketing Division Intern (Former Employee)
Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I worked at MassMutual as an intern for less than a year

ProsIt's a famous insurance company in Hongkong.

Consvery competitive. usually had to stay up late

The possibility's are endless

Agent (Current Employee)
Buffalo, NY (US)

I have been working at MassMutual full-time for less than a year

ProsMake your own schedule
Great products to sell
unlimited income potential
The G.A. at my location is a class act and will do what ever he can to help.
No micro management.
A declining base salary provided.

ConsYou are left to your own devices and your poor work discipline may bite you.
Being a 1099 employee

Advice to Senior ManagementStudy your Buffalo Office and replicate it.

Strong company with good benefits, but needs culture change.

I have been working at MassMutual full-time

ProsGood Benefits (tuition assistance) and amenities on site

ConsLack of merit-based promotion and low payscale

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow talented individuals to flourish rather than prevent development.

MassMutual San Francisco

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at MassMutual

ProsMassMutual has great products to offer people.

ConsPoorly run agency. They care nothing for new advisers. Just sign up friends and family and then people have to quit because they aren't really getting paid. Financing is a joke should just get a base instead. Turnover is so so so so high its crazy.

Advice to Senior Managementpay a base. reduce turnover

It was good, good training, this company is going places!

Financial Services Professional (Former Employee)
Fort Wayne, IN (US)

I worked at MassMutual full-time for more than a year

ProsFortune 500 company. Great training. Thee best whole life product out there! The best Mutual company out there!

Cons"Financing" plan is a joke! Micro-managers don't care about you! Required to be at many meetings, but don't get paid for it!

Solid company with strong financial foundation

Knowledge Management Analyst (Current Employee)
Springfield, MA (US)

I have been working at MassMutual full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt provides pretty flexible work schedules include telecommuting/work from home and is understanding in inclement weather. Benefits are better than most companies.

ConsStuck in 20th century manufacturing mentality, too much emphasis on diversity and not unity of purpose. Very siloed culture where teams, groups, or business units are reluctant to share knowledge and information.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo attract and retain the employee of the 21st century, you have to stop seeing yourself as a mutual insurance company and more of a technology driven entity.

The Land of Oz

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at MassMutual

ProsOpportunities for hard workers, trying to innovate and transform. Good cafe, benefits and bonus potential

ConsInstead of promoting and rewarding from within, many times they hire externally and pay that person 30% more than the top performer of that unit. Then you find out the external hire can't execute and that top performer needs to mentor the external hire. This happens quite frequently. I understand that you need to attract talent from outside to get fresh ideas, but for the gap in salary for these people to be so large against their peers is disheartening But I know their strategy is that they know people wont leave and they deal with it

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain managers to manage and don't us MMWay as the tool. If you have the right leaders with the right skills, you wouldn't need a fancy program name

Stuck in time -- any innovation is lost

Marketing (Former Employee)
Springfield, MA (US)

I worked at MassMutual full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company is very financially stable and doesn't have the same pressures as a public company, which is great not having to worry about the numbers quarter to quarter. Seems like lots of job security - few layoffs compared to public companies.

ConsThe culture is stuck in the 'slow, old, corporate' mindset... very stuffy culture and feel. Any spark of innovation is quickly snuffed out. They have attempted to hire outside innovative thinkers only to be told to essentially 'assimilate' (yes that word was said to me directly). I believe the CEO has only ever worked at MM, so not surprising it hasn't changed. It is no wonder MassMutual was ranked as the company with the highest turnover by salary.com last year -- even beating out silicon valley high tech companies.

It really feels like you're playing on the B or C team. If you are willing to become a lemming then this is the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're not willing to listen to new ways of thinking, don't hire folks for that bring that to the company.

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MassMutual reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for MassMutual CEO Roger W. Crandall. All 254 reviews are posted anonymously by MassMutual employees.