MassMutual

MassMutual Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall

Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Good compensation if you produce, friendly work environment(in 12 reviews)

• Great Benefits along with exam reimbursements if you are in the Actuarial Student Program(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • They try to convince you that success relies in making friends and family become your clients(in 8 reviews)

• Older culture, try to use your connections for their own, no salary(in 9 reviews)

Good People

Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsPeople are friendly and want to see you succeed. If you have the patience, you can do quite well.

ConsSalary will be dependent on how well you can sell.

Flexible Projects & Friendly Culture

Current Project Coordinator (Former Employee) Addison, TX (US)

ProsHad a great relationship with my boss that allowed me to provide him with criticism and ideas for new projects. Gave me creative and flexible control over projects as long as I met deadlines. Supported my decisions and encouraged my interests. Very positive workplace and coworkers support each other.

ConsCan be somewhat hectic, demanding and uncomfortable. Requires communication with clients who are rude and disrespectful. Tedious work but rewarding when finished.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more internship opportunities at local offices and more feedback to interns.

Stuck in a Time Warp

Marketing (Former Employee)

ProsThe company is in a strong financial position, with decent pay and bonuses generally pay out at the target. Because they are mutually held they don't have the same pressures as a public company. It's a slow moving industry and company so you won't see a lot of change or really any change.

ConsIf you don't live in the Springfield area and have not worked in the Life Insurance industry this is not the place for you. The culture is stuck in a time warp. The CEO has only ever worked at MassMutual and has the blinders of 'doing it the same old way' which is held across the company. They recognize the need to become more innovative and flexible and have been recruiting from the outside for some key hires. Candidates realize quickly that this is a painful environment that has no appetite for change -- you are pushed down if you try to move outside the boundaries... to the point you are talked to about 'assimilating'.

There is a reason last year's salary.com survey showed them as having the highest turnover of any company.... very few who come in new stay for very long.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not good for recent college grad

Agent (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC (US)

ProsCool people, fun outside events

ConsPromised to be paid but aren't
    100% commission
    Paid for your own license

Advice to Senior ManagementGood people, just tough for recent college grad

challenging but rewarding

Prosflexibility, pay, commisions, open environment

Consstarting from scratch is hard to do, but rewading

Advice to Senior Managementgreat management

Unprofessional and lack of communication

ProsLarge Company
    National presence
    Recruit heavily

ConsLack of communication
    Don't follow through with commitments
    No care for prospective employees
    Vertical hierarchy

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen a General Manager at one of your offices schedules a time to speak over the phone and then reschedules that call, it would be important for these management level employees to follow through with their obligations. Also, if they cannot make the time they previously scheduled ensure they contact the person with a reasoning rather than having someone wait around 5 hours on a phone call that still has yet to happen. Overall, follow through with your obligations will make all stakeholders happy, not uncertainty!

Agent

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Newport Beach, CA (US)

ProsGreat working environment and training.

ConsYou have to pay for printing, parking etc... Sales cycle is long so if you do not have enough money to last a few months this is not for you. To get started it really depends on your natural market and who you know.

Great People, terrible company

Technical Agent (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT (US)

ProsThe agents and their assistants are great to work with. They're generally helpful and kind and carry on fun and interesting conversation while performing work. They understand life/work balance and are pretty flexible.

ConsDue to the environment, little monetary investment is made in good and proper technology. While its up to the agents to provide technology for their assistants, corporate provides the technology for the agency. If a computer crashes there are no backups on hand (for agency staff nor independent agents). No spare keyboards/mice. No IT tools like USB CD-rom for re-installing OS on machines with faulty drives (or bios limitations).

As IT, I daily use my own personal equipment to satisfy agency needs, including taking PC's home to download updates.

The salary is 30% to 50% less than average for the area.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better infrastructure. 1.5Mbs internet does not work for 65 to share.
    Provide backup hardware for PC's. Spare hard drives, keyboards/mice/monitors are essential for any IT work.

Great culture of support and high performance

ProsFrom the very second you walk into the office, there is a welcoming environment. You immediately feel that people are happy and that every single person matters in the organization. The core values of the company are growth, personal responsibility and work-life balance and it is clear that the company takes those seriously.

ConsOne thing to consider when working for the company as an advisor is there isn't a base pay. This can be very much seen as a pro or con. Pro being there is unlimited income potential with great benefits and for people that are high achievers, they will thrive in an environment like that. Con being you do need to have some savings when you first start to make sure you can survive the first couple months in the off-chance you don't get a commission check right away.

Great Company with unlimited opportunity

Recruiting Intern (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsI started out as a Recruiting Intern and was offered a full time opportunity. My support team was amazing. I assisted the Executive Recruiting Director and Recruiting Director on human resource activities and daily recruiting duties. I learned strong and weak points about myself that have benefited my progress with the company. I have grown educationally as well as professionally working with Hoopis leadership team and partners.

ConsThe company is still in the development process so their is a lot of change to adapt to.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to assist your agents, interns, and staff in bettering themselves and you will always have a dedicated team of workers

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!