MassMutual Reviews

Updated 22 October 2014
3.2

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall
Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Rewarding work environment with the flexibility to take on additional responsibilities to build skills (in 13 reviews)

• Great Benefits along with exam reimbursements if you are in the Actuarial Student Program (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary and only sales commissions (in 16 reviews)

• They try to convince you that success relies in making friends and family become your clients (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

You're on your own

I worked at MassMutual

Pros

Great products and services. Stable company and they are very diversified. The customer service is a amazing. Has mutual company benefits.

Cons

You're on your own to pay for everything included licenses, seminars, etc. This is because it's a mutual company. No base salary, you only get a subsidy on the business you submit. Whole life is preached to be the cure all product.

Hire an agency trainer. Get management more involved with newer advisors. Help to pay for licenses

Overall good compensation.

Former Employee - Underwriter in Enfield, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Enfield, CT (US)

I worked at MassMutual full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are flexible schedules available at the discretion if your manager so that you can balance family and work responsibilities. The offer great bonuses and education reimbursement.

Cons

The Peter principle is alive and well at MassMutual. Unfortunately some folks get promoted to their level of incompetence. Management is fragmented.

Management needs to listen more to employees on work process issues.

Review

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay, strategy, investment, team members

Cons

Work life balance, focus issues

Large, stable company

I worked at MassMutual full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Good Benefit Package with on-site services
    - Excellent vacation time allotment
    - There are many great people to work with
    - Company has a clearly articulated strategy with the focus on its policy holders

Cons

- Somewhat short sighted in technology in certain areas. A focus on the project costs versus long term gains of technology investments
    - Process overhead as expected with such a large firm

I worked 20 Plus Years at MM. Not as good a company as it used to be. Everyone wanted to work at MM when I started.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA (US)

I worked at MassMutual full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The only good thing I found these last couple of years is the bank, store, hairdresser etc.

Managers were helpful and sincere up until the last 4 years.

Cons

You will get no support from HR or elsewhere if you are having an issue in your dept. This I know first hand.

The MMWay is such a waste of time. Every day a 15 minute huddle and every week a 1 hour meeting for standard work. Every week a 2 hour problem solving meeting. Even if you have no problems, they will make up problems. To me, aside from the daily huddle, the rest is just a waste of time.

The benefits are terrible. The only thing worth being there was for the vacation time.

Perception is Reality. This is the same as when you assume. One on One meetings with manager seem to always go well but when it came down to the performance evaluation it was like you were hit with a brick. You are not informed when you are doing something that is wrong or an error has been made on your part during your one on ones with your manager. This will be brought up during your performance evaluation and at this point you cannot do a thing to fix it.

I have no advice. I'm only glad that I was able to get out of there with my sanity.

Great company with great products and great ethics

Current Employee - Staff in Anaheim, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Staff in Anaheim, CA (US)

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

For a commissioned agent, Mass Mutual is the company to work for. You work for Mass Mutual directly. Great commissions and benefits. Great product line up and a very high premium placed on ethics.

Cons

Company works on a General Agency basis. Each office is in affect a franchise and each General Agent has leeway in how he or she operates. The GA definitely sets the tone of the office. If you looking at Mass Mutual you should definitely interview with different GAs (there are three in the Los Angeles / Orange County area). Also, staff positions works for the GA, not the company. Therefore salary and benefits can vary greatly from office to office.

Local staff should have access to home office benefits. (Note - the city listed below is not the actual city. Don't want to give away my office).

Pretty busy but nice internship experience

I worked at MassMutual as an intern

Pros

- People are all very friendly and willing to give you work
    - Except work, they also provided decent training

Cons

- Not flexible enough
    - Corner office

Agent Assistant

I have been working at MassMutual

Pros

Fly-in and training for Blue Chip sales agents, same holiday schedule as staff, short commute, centralized location, nice building

Cons

"Mad Men" 1960s good old boy mentality among agents.

If you don't have an existing network it will be difficult to find clients

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The compensation can be very good if you are able to produce

Cons

No base salary, completely commisisons.

MassMutual is a fine company.

Current Employee - Financial Services Professional
    Current Employee - Financial Services Professional

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Their best advantage is in providing sales support for new business. They focus on training weekly and they encourage entrepreneurs.

Cons

This is not salaried and it no real marketing support is offered. It is akin to a franchise in that production quotas must be met. Other than informal suggestions by sales managers, there is little help. Cold walking business is not productive and competition in the NYC area is fierce. Every third person seems to be working in this industry.

Invest money in developing account management rather than focusing on out-dated cold-calling techniques. Provide financial backing for seminars.

MassMutual Photos

MassMutual Headquarters
MassMutual Convention Center (Photo thanks to Flickr user informationgoddess29, available under by-nc-sa v2.0)
MassMutual Tokyo (Photo thanks to Flickr user teikan, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo