MassMutual

Updated 27 January 2015
3.2

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall
Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Rewarding work environment with the flexibility to take on additional responsibilities to build skills (in 13 reviews)

• Great Benefits along with exam reimbursements if you are in the Actuarial Student Program (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary and only sales commissions (in 18 reviews)

• No base salary, you only get a subsidy on the business you submit (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Intern/Financial Services Professional

Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Walnut Creek, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Walnut Creek, CA (US)

I have been working at MassMutual as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The company culture is fantastic! Every member-from the general agent to the compliance officer--are wonderful to work with. There is absolutely no feeling of pressure here (see con). I feel like I'm amongst friends and good acquaintances who are more than happy to guide me through tough processes. My mentor, who is a successful agent, has provided me with indispensable insight for succeeding in the industry. The kind of support you get at this company is priceless. I've also gained a tremendous amount of transferable skill sets and work experience.

Cons

This is a low-pressure environment, which for me, is a con since I thrive under pressure. You receive strictly commission-based pay, which may make it or break it for you. If you're well established with about a year's or two worth of living expenses, then you can make this experience very well worth it. HOWEVER, if you're a brand new financial services professional or advisor, then this job may not be suitable--especially if you're self-supporting.

I would have rated my experience "5 stars" if the position was more welcoming to entry-level candidates, but that's the nature of the beast. Budding financial advisers have a challenging time, but you get that with any company with which you're affiliated. Note that I'm not rating the company itself--I'm rating the position for entry-level candidates.

Bottom-line: Understand what it really means to be paid solely on commission.

I wouldn't change anything about the management structure.

Great, strong financials on this company. Unfortunately not enough room for growth.

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

One of the strongest insurance companies around. Recognizable name

Cons

Unless in Springfield, MA no opportunity for advancement.

A fantastic place for ambitious professionals

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Lehigh Valley, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Lehigh Valley, PA (US)

I have been working at MassMutual as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The company offers a tremendous amount of support to agents in regards to support and technology and offers a great amount of flexibility and industry-leading products

Cons

No base salary. It is very difficult to get started and stay on your feet, though once you do, the payoff is tremendous.

Still a "one trick pony"

Current Employee - Agent in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Agent in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I have been working at MassMutual as a contractor

Pros

Mass is one of the better mutual insurance companies: great contracts, high-value benefits, decent working environment, good people. I enjoy working with everyone in the office.

Cons

Management is uninspired; sales models are dated. The message is basically, "get two meetings a day by whatever method works, take two fact finders per day, and you will succeed." Not gonna happen. An old, stodgy, good-old-boy industry is trying to sell to an electronically-charged and Internet-dependent generation of young people. There has been no real growth in life insurance sales since 2008 since most of the sales are just recycling old money. New York Life money comes over to Mass Mutual; Mass Mutual money goes over to Northwestern Mutual, and around and around it goes. If it wasn't for 1035 exchanges and qualified transfers, sales would be cut in half.

Top level: You're not getting it. You need to completely revamp administration to underwriting. Financial services within 10 years will be nearly 100% digital and you're still going to be issuing paper policies with old buildings pictured on the front.
    Field managing partners: A little more honesty and a little less sizzle in the recruiting arena, please. Tell it like it is and stop contracting anyone that dresses well and can fog a mirror. And, please...read an entire specimen policy once in a while. Your product knowledge is emabarrassingly poor.

Has been a great experience

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Youngstown, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Youngstown, OH (US)

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the support from higher ups has been amazing.
    flexible schedule
    work life balance

Cons

everything is on you when it comes to finding clients

management is great

100% Sales

Current Employee - Financial Services Professional
    Current Employee - Financial Services Professional

I have been working at MassMutual full-time

Pros

Valuable training
    Co-workers are nice and friendly
    Work-life balance

Cons

During interview process they do not fully tell you that the job will be 100% sales and how difficult it will be to generate sales
    After training they throw you under the bus and forget about you
    No guidance
    When you go on company trips you have to pay for everything

Solid company but need to modernize

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in New York, NY (US)

I worked at MassMutual full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits. Solid reputation. Solid financials.

Cons

Opportunities limited. Need to get up to date with the times.

Get rid of old systems.

Good opportunity, if you have the financial backing.

Current Employee - Agent
    Current Employee - Agent

I have been working at MassMutual full-time

Pros

Work life balance is great, there are no clocks to punch. However your success depends on your motivation to work.

Cons

You won't get paid for a while; the interview (open to close) process with a client takes at least a month, another month for the underwriting process. So unless you have enough financial stability to go two or more months without a paycheck, I would not recommend this job. Also the training program is not efficient enough.

I have been working at MassMutual

Pros

Products and support are strong
    Marketing money and ideas
    Independence

Cons

This business is hard
    But that is obvious

Bring more young talent in
    Continue building this great team

Best financial institution to work for. Very flexible and most opportunities given to agents.

Current Employee - Registered Representative in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Registered Representative in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The marketing support at the local agency level is unmatched by any other company. Commissions are top in industry if you produce well. Local agency management is helpful, knowledgeable, and most importantly loyal and honest. The GA and SM's are there every time you need them. Opportunities to grow includes managing associate position which is a great plus!

Cons

It is difficult to start in this industry even with huge support from company. That being said, MassMutual Raleigh/Durham is dedicated to experienced agents and does not do a ton of recent college grad recruiting.

Keep up the great work and support.

MassMutual Photos

MassMutual Headquarters
MassMutual Convention Center (Photo thanks to Flickr user informationgoddess29, available under by-nc-sa v2.0)
MassMutual Tokyo (Photo thanks to Flickr user teikan, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo