MassMutual Reviews

Updated 16 August 2014

3.2

MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall
Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Good compensation if you produce, friendly work environment (in 12 reviews)

• Great Benefits along with exam reimbursements if you are in the Actuarial Student Program (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • They try to convince you that success relies in making friends and family become your clients (in 8 reviews)

• Older culture, try to use your connections for their own, no salary (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

I had an outstanding experience at MassMutual in Houston

Former Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MassMutual as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The support system at the Houston office is second to none. The managers empower the employees to achieve great results through coaching sessions, online training and more.

Cons

The industry is a make or break, but if you make it, you want to do it with MassMutual in Houston.

Actuary - Continuous Learning and Cohesive Culture!

Current Employee - Actuary  in  Springfield, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Actuary in Springfield, MA (US)

I have been working at MassMutual full-time

Pros

Work with talented, intelligent, and driven colleagues; excellent work/ life balance; continuous support for further exams (CFA, FRM, Etc), after your FSA designation; great opportunities for growth in traditional and non-traditional roles; very supportive in taking opportunities to round out professional experience. Feel supported and greatly respect of each other. Attrition within Actuarial is very low which speaks loudly to overall satisfaction of an Actuary at MassMutual.

Cons

Lean six sigma process moving across MM, but, as we go through problem solving sessions, use some of the time as a team to celebrate success in change managment that we have done as a team...focus on the positives versus what we are doing wrong.

Promote ONE MASSMUTUAL in doing more events that bring the locations together so we can network with others in other business lines and celebrate successes. Excellent ELT that makes themselves approachable! Great company, as the financial success over the last few years highlights.

I got my Alabama Insurance license,I got the Rising Star award which can take 6 years to earn,I was in compliance.

Former Employee - Insurance Agent  in  Birmingham, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Birmingham, AL (US)

I worked at MassMutual full-time for more than a year

Pros

I took a test and scored highly and that is why they hired me plus the fact I had an outstanding retail background. I was a manger of a cosmetic line and in 12 years I took a $180k yearly counter into a $800k yearly counter. My customer Base I built was well over 500 customers.

Cons

The manger and his personal friends he hired were questionable especially in finance. He was fired after he let me go when AIG fell with no reason. He then fired the Comptroller ( the notary and legal of the office ) who now works for Met Life. He was very shady and again MassMutual fired him.

Now that even life insurance has changed due to the ACC. I would have a set training for new agents. Educate on how to get your license before you send agents out. There is quite a loop because several ranks of managers make money off the agents sales of policies. Today is different than years ago. It is not so safe to have women go out and meet a prospect. I would have been just as happy to have an assistant position with a salary and bonuses. At that time I was guessing and taking classes that were not in order of being the best agent. I did make Rising Leader in my first 6 months. I had to point that out to my manager.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for Macro Financial Planning, Doesn't Pigeon-Hole Clients into Investments Only

Current Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Walnut Creek, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Walnut Creek, CA (US)

I have been working at MassMutual full-time for more than a year

Pros

From the outset, I have been most impressed with the quality of people in this organization. The advisors here truly care about their clients and give advice freely. I've never seen that until I came to MassMutual.

Cons

If you aren't ready to run a business and the risks associated with it, don't join.

Keep continuing with the mentorship programs. Have more bonding events for new hires.

Retirement Specialist

I have been working at MassMutual

Pros

Ability to work from home; professional colleagues who are experts in their field.

Cons

Compensation not as great as some competitors.

Review

I have been working at MassMutual full-time

Pros

Great Employer great location nice

Cons

none at this time, great employer

Finance Advisor

Current Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Newport, RI (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Newport, RI (US)

I have been working at MassMutual full-time for more than a year

Pros

No Pros were found. You have to pay to work in this company.

Cons

Too much lies are involved. I was certified for life&health insurance, series 7, and series 66, however, they still want me to only sell an whole life insurance product.

Stuck in a Time Warp

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at MassMutual full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company is in a strong financial position, with decent pay and bonuses generally pay out at the target. Because they are mutually held they don't have the same pressures as a public company. It's a slow moving industry and company so you won't see a lot of change or really any change.

Cons

If you don't live in the Springfield area and have not worked in the Life Insurance industry this is not the place for you. The culture is stuck in a time warp. The CEO has only ever worked at MassMutual and has the blinders of 'doing it the same old way' which is held across the company. They recognize the need to become more innovative and flexible and have been recruiting from the outside for some key hires. Candidates realize quickly that this is a painful environment that has no appetite for change -- you are pushed down if you try to move outside the boundaries... to the point you are talked to about 'assimilating'.

There is a reason last year's salary.com survey showed them as having the highest turnover of any company.... very few who come in new stay for very long.

Agent

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Newport Beach, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at MassMutual full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great working environment and training.

Cons

You have to pay for printing, parking etc... Sales cycle is long so if you do not have enough money to last a few months this is not for you. To get started it really depends on your natural market and who you know.

challenging but rewarding

I have been working at MassMutual full-time

Pros

flexibility, pay, commisions, open environment

Cons

starting from scratch is hard to do, but rewading

great management

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!