MasterCard

MasterCard Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga

Ajay Banga

Pros:
  • "Very good environment and good work life balance"
    in 34 reviews
  • "Good benefits especially for employees with families"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "MasterCard HR tries to promote work/life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Everyone under middle management is expected to work "more than 40 hours" per week"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Working at MasterCard has been a great experience

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCompany has been on the path of innovation, it has a great business model and our brand is well known.

ConsMasterCard went public in 2006, prior to that they were private. There is an old culture here that is not keen on changing. We need to work on that.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrying to drive innovation and fun throughout a company is a fantastic things however cannot be done in a suit and tie. Executives need to come to work dressed down to promote a more relaxed environment that promotes innovation

MasterCard is an amazing place to work if you are motivated for a dynamic career

Senior Business Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time

ProsHonest executive commitment to employee development
Unlimited corporate opportunities for growth feed great personal opportunities
Competitive benefits/comp

ConsPart way through a cultural overhaul, and there is a small (getting smaller) group who is not onboard with the program. They create a disproportionate burden for the rest of us.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great progress.

Growth Company - With Lots of Opportunities

Senior Business Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt is hard to argue against a company that is doing so well. You have to work to advance here but your hard work pays off. Great work life balance. Ajay Banga is a true leader that is driving this company in a place that it has never been before. He is tremendous and his impact can be felt through the entire organization. You can't say that about too many CEO's.

ConsIt is hard to work in a b2b2c environment. We do things differently here which are sometimes difficult for someone that is new to the organization/four party model. This growing pain goes away once you understand our business and our business model.

Challenging somewhat rewarding nice experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at MasterCard full-time

ProsChallenging somewhat rewarding nice experience

ConsLack of leadership and hiring of wrong people, A lot of opportunity for advancement but was taken advantage of by various people with various reasons.

Good workplace for the enterprising

Technical Consultant (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWhat you learn is only limited by your drive to learn. Flexible schedules are a perk. Benefits are competitive. Strong technology focus on the core network enables value added products to be developed.

ConsBureaucracy in middle management inhibits productivity. Need to create better alignment to vision communicated by executive leadership. Software Development culture not quite state of the art - no vision in procuring the right tools to do the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better talent and create an environment where they succeed. Stop the cover your ass culture.

This company is a good company. Their new shared services is a nightmare

Accounts Payable Temp (Current Employee)
O'Fallon, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time

ProsThe company pays better than market to their employees. The time off policy is very generous. The O
Fallon building has many perks for the employee.

ConsThe culture and the actual environment are totally different. MasterCard HR tries to promote work/life balance. Putting the employees first. The actuality is long hours, overworked staff, and a hostile work environment. Management is worried about covering themselves and showing up others so they look good with no regard to the result of the dept. or other employees trying to do their best.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the business leader and above in the GBSC transaction services and replace with competent leadership.

Messy Management no Long Term Perspective

Business Leader (Current Employee)
São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsProfitable and growing market. International career opportunities.

ConsConfusing Structure and too many levels both horizontal and vertical. Matrix organization creates a chaos on how do determine priorities. Compensation is a one-to-one basis. There are people at the same level/job which more than 200% difference in their salaries. Human Resources launched a hunt season against long-term employees in Brazil

Advice to Senior ManagementIn Brazil, they just fired 7 people out of 150 employees and all of them , ALL, were more than 10 years employees. Guess what it is the mood of those who are 8 or 9 years old. The local leadership team has completely destroyed its credibility and people are working all worried about losing their jobs. What is crazy in this ? Company results are awesome. So, what's the message here ? Stay old in the company and be kicked out ?

Good company to work for.

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCompany doing well, good benefits, and good work-life balance

ConsForget getting promoted at this organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementPresident should stop being so cocky

MasterCard is changing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at MasterCard

ProsGood compensation and a lot of good managers

ConsThe Corporate culture is changing and becoming more cutthroat.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe talk about the culture is one view but the reality is something different. Figure out what you really want to be and speak and act consistently

CEO is visionary and likeable

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork life balance
Great experience
Passionate employees

ConsNo salary negotiations for lateral moves
Salary increments are between 1 and 4%
No career progression
Poor management training and support for new management. Managers lack leadership skills, managers lack the balls to fight for what is right.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company would lose ambitious (tomorrow leaders) if they do not harness and promote employees.
Meeting or surpassing expectations should be rewarded financially and with the opportunity of promotions.

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!

MasterCard Videos

MasterCard – Why Work for Us?

NOT JUST SHAPING THE FUTURE. CHANGING IT. Here at MasterCard, we work at the heart of commerce. While our people around the world may be engaged in any number of interesting and exciting projects at any given time, we… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MasterCard reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for MasterCard CEO Ajay Banga. All 224 reviews are posted anonymously by MasterCard employees.