MasterCard

MasterCard Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga

Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance(in 39 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy"(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice(in 9 reviews)

• There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle(in 9 reviews)

Challenging but positive.

Senior Business Leader (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsProfitable. Good salary. Interesting mix of Financial Services Sector and Technology Sector issues. Growing business / sector.

ConsToo many pre-IPO legacy issues which permeate the company's DNA. Brand suffers against Visa's dominant position (a similar comparison is Pepsi versus Coke's dominance). Payments is a very 'quirky' sector which retains a seemingly large proportion of quirky behaviours / styles. Very US-centric management.

Great benefits!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company has very good benefits. With the new CEO, the culture within the organization has been changing for the good.

ConsAny ideas suggested usually goes through all levels for approval which could be hindrance at times. Incompetent leadership in some roles are stagnating the growth in their areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to embrace an open culture by giving opportunities to high performers.

Good people, nice place and professional attitudes.

Project Manager (Current Employee) O Fallon, MO (US)

ProsRelax work environment with great people to work with.

ConsYou have to like the Mid West to work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementI do not have anything negative to say about MasterCard.

Jun 27, 2014

Your experience is a great testimony to why we were ranked so highly as Best Places to work in STL - Thanks!
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

MasterCard is a great company!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsUnder Ajay's leadership MasterCard has become more diverse. There has been a growth in women and ethnicity within the Purchase location. However, I would still like to see more women in Exectives Roles. It also offers a good work-life balance.

ConsSome managers lack leadership skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the constructive feedback that is given.

Jun 27, 2014

Thanks so much for your candid response!

At MasterCard...Everything they told me is true and that's awesome!

ProsMasterCard is going through incredible change and that makes it a very exciting place to work. Innovation and thinking outside of the box is highly encouraged so all employees can make a difference and contribute to the MasterCard difference.

ConsAs with all change there is some resistance.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue building a creative and fun culture while retaining the highly valued culture of caring about our employees and customers

Jun 27, 2014

Great feedback - we are highly focused on doing well while doing good!

Growing company with new opportunities for career growth.

Business Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsHiring new employees that bring a new perspective to the company is helping to create a better culture. The company offers challenging work, a good corporate culture and provides a great work environment. There are growing opportunities in new areas of the business.

ConsFunding can be limited for projects and long work hours and sometimes unrealistic expectations can make it stressful. There are some bad managers you wouldn't want to work for but it seems to be improving very slowly.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold managers accountable for coaching and supporting their employees

Jun 30, 2014

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Good experience of working with mastercard

Vice President (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsThought leader,good leadership teams,gives freedom to work,good work enviroment

Conssometime tends to be too centralized,less flexible and not to sales focused

Advice to Senior Managementfaster,nimbler,simpler and more sales and customer focus

Jun 18, 2014

Thank you - we appreciate your openness and honesty!

Excellent company with a strong vision for the future

Senior Business Leader (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsMasterCard has strong focus on employees and provides excellent opportunities for future growth. MasterCard's continued success in the card payment business will ensure a rewarding environment for new employees.

ConsMany career development opportunities tends to be centered around corporate headquarters as you reach more senior roles. However, MasterCard truly isn't that much different than most major corporations with a centralized headquarters.

Good place to land

Vice President (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsDeep resources and expertise to leverage for success

ConsLarge organization can be daunting to access

Depressing Place of Employment

Business Analyst (Former Employee) O'Fallon, MO (US)

ProsThere are plenty of pros if you are a "green badge" employee, like good pay, benefits, modern facilities, and team outings. These only applies to a minority of the staff as most people are "red badge" contractors.

Cons"Red badge" contractors make up the bulk of the workforce, and they are treated horribly. During the recession, MasterCard forced annual 10+% pay cuts on consultants. Converting from contractor to employee is extraordinarily difficult.

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!