MasterCard

MasterCard Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga

Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance(in 39 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy"(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice(in 9 reviews)

• There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle(in 9 reviews)

Self-Starters Only Need Apply

Senior IT Analyst (Former Employee) O'Fallon, MO (US)

ProsGreat Benefits Including Bonus Program
    Casual Dress
    Work From Home (Most Positions)
    Beautiful Campus With Onsite Fitness Center, Full Cafeteria, Game Rooms, etc.

ConsWork Pace Can Be Grinding At Times
    Not Enough People To Meet Expectations/Goals
    Meetings, Meetings, Meetings!
    Separatist Attitude Amongst Management - Too Good For The Trenches

Advice to Senior ManagementStay In Touch With What's Really Going On
    Listen More, Meet Less

Wierd

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice office location at Purchase, great cafeteria. Offices could use updating - its like a step back into the 70's

ConsLike most large firms it doesnt live what it preaches. Poor management skills are tolerated if the person is senior because it would cost to much to fire them but people further down the food chain are expendable. If you have tenure you are less likely to be fired for poor performance but instead shuffled around the company into a new role

MC Review

Project Manager (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsPay and benefits are amazing but it comes at a cost. The culture isn't for everyone.

ConsCulture can be extremely fast paced & cut-throat. Also a very cold place to work focused on results only.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your people

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Political powerhouse - HR corruption.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsDepending on who you work for, this can be a great experience. Ajay Banga changed the place for the most part so now it's more innovative and people are more hardworking.

ConsThere is tremendous corruption in HR. A few people have been there too long and have way too much power. Way too many layers, VPs are a dime a dozen.

a great time to be working at MasterCard

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

Prosgreat benefits and opportunities to intereact across business units. Always comfortable environment.

Conssometimes it seems that important information intended for all employees doesn't make its way down the line. There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle.

Good place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are lots of educational opportunities.

ConsMeetings are a large part of the culture and peoples calendars are always overbooked.

Great work environment

Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsMasterCard has a lot of employees who know a great deal about the payment industry. The company is also investing a lot in the training of its staff. It's a great place to learn a lot.

The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance.

ConsThe location is not great. The company could have a more flexible work from home policy. There are a lot of meetings and a limited sense of accountability at times. It's sometimes challenging to act swiftly.

MasterCard VP, Employer Brand Marketing responded to this review

May 13, 2014

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience thus far!

working as a contractor at MasterCard

Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) O'Fallon, MO (US)

ProsThey are very flexible in work hours, dress.

ConsYour management may change due to reorgs or project.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe are not consistent on how they treat contractors. My first manager treated me as an employee - 1 on 1's and provided training. My second manager really spent no time with me.

MasterCard - a glocal company

Director (Current Employee) Warsaw (Poland)

ProsMasterCard is a global company however it gives a considerable degree of trust towards local country offices with regards to business strategy and decision making.

ConsThere is not enough of growth/promotion opportunities for empolyees of the local country offices as opposed to global and regional headquarters.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe strategy for promoting and growing people as well as possible employees relocation should be revised.

Stable company but that's it

Business Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsStable company, they will be around for a while and are profitable.

ConsCompensation is below average, and opportunities for advancement are few and far between.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide actual incentives for lateral moves (saying that you are getting new skills doesn't work when the hiring managers are not willing to hire someone without years of experience doing everything in the job description) and stop telling hiring managers to only hire externally.

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!