MasterCard

MasterCard Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga

Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance(in 39 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy"(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice(in 9 reviews)

• There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle(in 9 reviews)

Good place to work but sliding backwards

(Current Employee)

ProsGood pay, including good bonus that is always paid. Fast pace. Good time off. Ability (even pushed) to move around and try different areas. Looks great on a resume since everyone knows MC.

ConsWhile pay is good raises don't exists. So if you are looking to work here get every penny up front because you won't even keep up with inflation. Health coverage SUCKS!!!! It's very expensive and low coverage. Most of the Execs came up in the company so they micro manage because they did all the jobs before. Red tape everywhere. They are looking to outsource everything in IT that isn't the latest/coolest thing. It's leading to the basics taking forever, and thus costing more, and ironically, leaving less money for the latest/coolest things. Purchase (business) and St. Louis (IT) don't work well together. Ajay says we are an IT company yet he rarely comes to the IT headquarters. If we are an IT company Ajay should move to St. Louis and establish that as the headquarters.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something about salary range penitration. You are ok now but turn-over will start to really hurt as average pay moves back to the pack. Fix the healthcare package.

Good work environment and work life balance

Director (Current Employee) São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

ProsVery good environment and good work life balance

ConsIt is not meritocratic, slow decision process, technology development is too cost, slow time to market

New to MasterCard

Senior Professional, Financial Systems (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsVery professional
    Colleagues are very friendly, approachable and helpful
    Objectives set for me on day 1 with an induction plan organised
    Highly supportive line manager
    Senior dept manager very visible and approachable

ConsNo cons to comment on

Advice to Senior ManagementNone so far. All in all a very positive experience for me in my first two weeks.
    Any rating provided by me is done so on the basis that I have only been here 1.5 weeks so unable to fully evalute certain areas such as Career Opportunities

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsEnjoyed my time work at MasterCard

ConsLayoffs have occurred over the years

Never bored

Business Leader (Current Employee) O'Fallon, MO (US)

ProsI get to work with emerging technologies. If you do not like the area you are working in, there are many others to advance your career.

ConsFast paced. Everything is needed yesterday. If you cannot Multi-task, this is not the pace for you.

Working at MasterCard has been a great experience

Vice President (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsCompany has been on the path of innovation, it has a great business model and our brand is well known.

ConsMasterCard went public in 2006, prior to that they were private. There is an old culture here that is not keen on changing. We need to work on that.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrying to drive innovation and fun throughout a company is a fantastic things however cannot be done in a suit and tie. Executives need to come to work dressed down to promote a more relaxed environment that promotes innovation

Project Manager

Project Manager (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsOverall a good company to work. Excellent benefits. Great CEO.

ConsLots of internal politics. Manager act like a demi-god and they can make or break your career.

Senior Technical Consultant

(Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsBefore they went public they were a very good company - they cared about the employees and their core systems to support the business.

People were very hard working. Pay and benefits were great.

ConsEmployees who remain technical over 50 years old are generally treated poorly and have few opportunities for continued professional development.. One manger told me "if they were smart they'd get into management so they get what they deserve".

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your focus back to creating and maintaining high quality software systems. Fairly treat employees, particularly the long term employees that still have technical expertise in the systems.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

It's hard to reach the first with no heart

Business Leader (Former Employee) São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

Pros- Relevant budget
    - Very nice office / overall benefits package
    - Strong brand
    - International exposure, possibility to international reallocation
    - Growing industry

Cons- No inspirational leadership. Cold environment, lots of conflicts
    - Too bureaucratic
    - No incentive to the "new", out of box ideas doesn't have real chances to be implemented.
    - Politics, politics, politics.
    - Where's "Priceless" internally?

Advice to Senior ManagementCaution - employees are not motivated and don't see recognition.

This company is a good company. Their new shared services is a nightmare

Accounts Payable Temp (Current Employee) O'Fallon, MO (US)

ProsThe company pays better than market to their employees. The time off policy is very generous. The O
    Fallon building has many perks for the employee.

ConsThe culture and the actual environment are totally different. MasterCard HR tries to promote work/life balance. Putting the employees first. The actuality is long hours, overworked staff, and a hostile work environment. Management is worried about covering themselves and showing up others so they look good with no regard to the result of the dept. or other employees trying to do their best.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the business leader and above in the GBSC transaction services and replace with competent leadership.

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!