MasterCard

MasterCard Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga

Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance(in 39 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy"(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice(in 9 reviews)

• There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle(in 9 reviews)

Good workplace for the enterprising

Technical Consultant (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsWhat you learn is only limited by your drive to learn. Flexible schedules are a perk. Benefits are competitive. Strong technology focus on the core network enables value added products to be developed.

ConsBureaucracy in middle management inhibits productivity. Need to create better alignment to vision communicated by executive leadership. Software Development culture not quite state of the art - no vision in procuring the right tools to do the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better talent and create an environment where they succeed. Stop the cover your ass culture.

Messy Management no Long Term Perspective

Business Leader (Current Employee) São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

ProsProfitable and growing market. International career opportunities.

ConsConfusing Structure and too many levels both horizontal and vertical. Matrix organization creates a chaos on how do determine priorities. Compensation is a one-to-one basis. There are people at the same level/job which more than 200% difference in their salaries. Human Resources launched a hunt season against long-term employees in Brazil

Advice to Senior ManagementIn Brazil, they just fired 7 people out of 150 employees and all of them , ALL, were more than 10 years employees. Guess what it is the mood of those who are 8 or 9 years old. The local leadership team has completely destroyed its credibility and people are working all worried about losing their jobs. What is crazy in this ? Company results are awesome. So, what's the message here ? Stay old in the company and be kicked out ?

Good company to work for.

Vice President (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsCompany doing well, good benefits, and good work-life balance

ConsForget getting promoted at this organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementPresident should stop being so cocky

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

MasterCard is changing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood compensation and a lot of good managers

ConsThe Corporate culture is changing and becoming more cutthroat.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe talk about the culture is one view but the reality is something different. Figure out what you really want to be and speak and act consistently

CEO is visionary and likeable

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsWork life balance
    Great experience
    Passionate employees

ConsNo salary negotiations for lateral moves
    Salary increments are between 1 and 4%
    No career progression
    Poor management training and support for new management. Managers lack leadership skills, managers lack the balls to fight for what is right.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company would lose ambitious (tomorrow leaders) if they do not harness and promote employees.
    Meeting or surpassing expectations should be rewarded financially and with the opportunity of promotions.

Doesn't get any better!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) O'Fallon, MO (US)

ProsMasterCard is amazing both in its focus on consumers and on employees. Our benefits are very generous (i.e. 3 weeks of vacation your first year, benefits from Day One, etc.). A ton of training is offered as well as an amazing education assistance policy (100%!!!). Our CEO is down-to-earth, easy to understand and follow his vision, and a good person, what an awesome combination!

Consbeauracracy is still very heavy in certain areas

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many rules, too many forms and procedures. Progress has been made but there is much to do.

MasterCard is an amazing place to work if you are motivated for a dynamic career

Senior Business Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsHonest executive commitment to employee development
    Unlimited corporate opportunities for growth feed great personal opportunities
    Competitive benefits/comp

ConsPart way through a cultural overhaul, and there is a small (getting smaller) group who is not onboard with the program. They create a disproportionate burden for the rest of us.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great progress.

Growth Company - With Lots of Opportunities

Senior Business Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsIt is hard to argue against a company that is doing so well. You have to work to advance here but your hard work pays off. Great work life balance. Ajay Banga is a true leader that is driving this company in a place that it has never been before. He is tremendous and his impact can be felt through the entire organization. You can't say that about too many CEO's.

ConsIt is hard to work in a b2b2c environment. We do things differently here which are sometimes difficult for someone that is new to the organization/four party model. This growing pain goes away once you understand our business and our business model.

Challenging somewhat rewarding nice experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsChallenging somewhat rewarding nice experience

ConsLack of leadership and hiring of wrong people, A lot of opportunity for advancement but was taken advantage of by various people with various reasons.

Fantastic place to work

Senior Specialist (Current Employee) O'Fallon, MO (US)

ProsIf you are dedicated and hard working, this is a great company to work for.

ConsPolitical, promotions and difficult and salary increases are nil. If you do not get the starting salary you want, you can forget about 'working your way there'.

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!