MasterCard

MasterCard Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga

Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance(in 39 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy"(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice(in 9 reviews)

• There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle(in 9 reviews)

Fantastic place to work

Senior Specialist (Current Employee) O'Fallon, MO (US)

ProsIf you are dedicated and hard working, this is a great company to work for.

ConsPolitical, promotions and difficult and salary increases are nil. If you do not get the starting salary you want, you can forget about 'working your way there'.

CEO is visionary and likeable

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsWork life balance
    Great experience
    Passionate employees

ConsNo salary negotiations for lateral moves
    Salary increments are between 1 and 4%
    No career progression
    Poor management training and support for new management. Managers lack leadership skills, managers lack the balls to fight for what is right.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company would lose ambitious (tomorrow leaders) if they do not harness and promote employees.
    Meeting or surpassing expectations should be rewarded financially and with the opportunity of promotions.

best place in st louis to work

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsGood benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy".

Consvery consensus driven, not driven to take risks, HR no help. hope you get a good boss!

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage turnover / new experiences to improve the energy levels; look at the leadership and see if they fit the mould for tomorrow or just a reflection of the past; take some risks to refresh the talent to show you are changing the old banking culture.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

MasterCard is on the move with new technology, innovation and thought leadership!

Business Leader (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsThe life-work balance is wonderful. Everyone pulls together to make things happen and we all take personal pride in quality work. Quality work is usually compenstated for in multiple ways. Truly a global company.

ConsUpper level management changes too frequently, causing confusion and lack of consistency. Probably like most companies there are some bad seeds in the group that talk out of both sides of their mouth, play favorites and are in it for themselves. NY employees are not flexible in the culturaly differences. Too many opinions and performance reviews based on hear say.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider spending a little more money on simple technology enhancements that support day to day operations, in the long run employees will be more effecient (saving money) and customers will be happier.

Employees still feel that they have no place to go in fear of retaliation. HR recently sat on a phone call un-announced for an hour; very sneaky. I have no trust in the process or the department.

Consider implementing a process for escalating business decisions that are "stuck in the mud" with their existing management.

Financially well-run; Needs to accelerate time to market for product innovation

ProsI like the fact that the company is addressing key competitive factors and working hard to overcome the legacy and mentality of an association. The consumer-centered focus is also important in order to clearly differentiate our product benefits/innovation/value proposition

Cons-Managers lack the skills and leadership to motivate people; yet are rewarded in a vacuum

-New managers who have been hired with "badge" value are ineffective when it comes down to translating their experience to MC business

-Not a ton of opportunity to get promoted due to heavy matrix

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above

Great place to work...but not perfect

Business Leader, LFI (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

Prossalary is very competitive and innovation of products really good. CEO is inspiring. There are some incredibly smart leaders within the organization. Good at moving people from one function to another

ConsGrp Heads can behave like demi-gods with sense of self entitlement; Purchase culture is stifling, too stiff and unwelcoming. Those who get ahead tend to do so based on who they know. Always seem to have to do more with less

Advice to Senior Managementgetting things can done can take too long, too many road blocks and culture of risk aversion needs to change

There is no company that treats its employees worse

Business Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsGreat brand, good to have on your resume

ConsI have been with this company for years. This company changed from the best place to work at to the worse place within last 10 years, especially withing last 3 years.

Facts about working environment:
    1. "Clear desk policy" You supposed to lock all of your papers in drawers before you leave. If you leave something on the table that you get warning, after 3 warnings your are fired
    2. Health insurance is very expensive with very low coverage and huge deductible that you need to pay before anything will be covered. Company covers only 50% of price vs 70-80% as other companies do.
    3. There is no free coffee/tea stations in main building. If you need a drink you had to buy from the stations that sell drinks.
    4. Cafeteria is very expensive and you can only use MasterCard to purchase anything, no cash or other cards accepted. Guests or interviewed people who come for the entire day often are unable to eat.
    5. Business attire policy. If you want to wear jeans on Fridays, than you have to pay $40 for a month ( 4 -5 Fridays).
    6. Company no more has any holiday’s parties, including Christmas because it is expensive.
    7. All printers said on double side printing in b/w. Its very annoying to change setting each time toy need to have one side printing.
    8. Everybody needs to work in the office regardless of weather conditions. HR send out a letter saying that if you want to stay at work while bad snowfall that you have to take a day off.
    9. You cannot buy any expansive office supplies or working tools because everything should be cheap. If you really need something, you should buy it yourself.
    10. There is a company gym facilities, you have to pay $25 a month.
    11. Lost badge- $25
    11. Everybody works on old heavy Dell computers.
    12. There are very strict subordination policies in terms of what you can do and cannot depending on your level

Recently MC moved all US employees in a different building across the street.
    Half of the floor is now occupied while another half is under heavy construction. People who sit next to construction should every day smell dust, chemicals and work while hearing drilling, sawing and screwing. People complained about working conditions, health issuers and destructive noise.
    No HR or higher management tried to resolve the issue. None of the top managers sit next to construction at this moment.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk MC President Ajay Banga to sit next to construction area.

Fantastic company to build a career!

Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsGreat culture and attitude by most of the workforce and management. Energetic and empowering CEO and Executive Committee that creates and gets involved in initiatives in a meaningful way.

ConsCompany went public in 2006 and it seems like there is till a remnant of the "country club" atmosphere. Some people are harder to motivate than others, but i suppose that goes for most workplaces in corporate America. Another potential con is career advancement opportunities depending on the department that you are in. The bigger the department the more opportunities, but also vice versa.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush people out of their comfort zones and hold them accountable for their actions and results. Reward the ones who go above and beyond to add meaningful value to their department and the company's bottom line.

MasterCard is a great place to work because the diverse technologies we work with in a given year exceed most careers

Technical Consultant (Current Employee) O'Fallon, MO (US)

ProsWorking at MasterCard (Operations & Technologies Headquarters) is exciting due to the many opportunities that come about in a technology company. There are always changes to our infrastructure and we're constantly pushing the envelope with new and exciting adoption (or creation of) technologies.

What I mean to say is that it is clear how many parts of the Technology Organization of MasterCard, in just a 2 year span, an Operations employee (Analyst through Sr. Professional) will have established a firm working knowledge of many different industry leading products, software or technology types that will decorate their resume beyond what many might achieve in their entire career.

ConsThe only 2 Cons I've heard around the office are really these:

1) Due to the high pressure demands for rapid development or fast turn around on various projects, many find themselves overwhelmed. It certainly isn't a workplace for the meek (though I personally enjoy the pressure, it drives me personally).

2) Appreciation is lacking for those that burst with initiative and improvement efforts that change the company for the good. I've been witness to several cases where an employee has improved a process or business practice that has caused a financial savings greater than that employee's salary (in a few cases these savings are realized annually).

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst, If I could share some things with upper management it would be to work on communication across the different parts of the organization when it comes to product purchasing and development efforts. Many times I find 2 teams that don't work together are sometimes spending even Millions of dollars attempting to solve the same business requirement(s). If they knew such projects were underway, the 2nd one in the pool might be able to leverage the advancements (and investments) made by the first team tackling the issue. This might be achieved by enacting a policy that asks teams to:

1) Post the name & description of the effort they're working on in a searchable forum (say our SharePoint site for example) and

2) That teams seeking to start an effort on a topic first search that forum to see if anyone else is already under way.

Second, Instruct Middle Management to take better initiatives with the HEART award system for their own employees when they do something that really moves the needle. It's ok if these awards come from a manager instead of a peer or other employee.

On a journey of transition

Business Leader (Current Employee) O'Fallon, MO (US)

ProsMasterCard has a very competitive benefits package, base pay is average, but performance is recognized via end of year bonus quite well. Opportunities for advancement as a people manager are plentiful for those with a keen acumen of IT-to-business value and good management skills. For those on a purely technical career path, opportunities for advancement *can* be plentiful. However you'll need to be very adaptable and not tied to just one technology or job function. Otherwise, it's possible to reach a block point where further advancement within a given discipline isn't possible.

The workforce at MasterCard have a great community spirit. Whether it's through the business resource groups (Women's Leadership Network, Young Professionals, PRIDE, Technology Leadership Network, etc.) or through involvement with the United Way and Junior Achievement the people of MasterCard do a lot of fantastic things together.

The campus is nice, including a cafeteria, gym, and a few gaming areas. Internal programs for computer based training on programs like PCI, ITIL, and Six-Sigma as well as opportunities to participate on tiger-team type functions are easily available should you have the time or inclination to want them.

Commercially, the company is doing fantastic. Internally the operations world is in a state of transition. As MasterCard continues to push for deeper connections direct to the consumer that will call for an adaptation of their IT Operations and Technology staffing and mindset.

ConsWork load can be INTENSE for those wanting to advance their career. You will not find much opportunity here if you're only interested in coming in and doing an 8 hour day with an hour lunch in the middle.

Due to a focus on the consumer, MasterCard has several initiatives rushing to market in parallel and as such require delivery of IT Service and Operational support at a rapid pace. Though the company is operating that way at the top, IT staffing and funding decisions aren't based around that same mantra. For people managers who identify a staffing gap, it's often only after a process *breaks* that the business case is given merit.

The campus is nice, however it's going through some changes. Due to space constraints a "cube restack" is changing the cubicle configuration to a smaller, less private cube. There are collaborative "pod" configurations as well. BUT ultimately if you're a people manager requiring privacy or a technical person who requires distraction-free working conditions you'll find them in short supply. However, they do offer an alternative workplace program for tele-working.

It's disappointing that the gym and cafeteria aren't subsidized. Though convenient, the cafeteria food becomes pretty repetitive and the pricing doesn't provide a satisfaction that you've gotten what you paid for. The gym again is incredibly convenient, but can be very crowded during peak usage, especially if you have a short window to get your workout in. For the monthly price paid (with no discount options for full year or contract based pricing) the gym waters down the value of having it on site.

Because the company is doing so well and driving so hard with card-holder focused initiatives there is a distinct lack of resources. Both from a staffing perspective, as well as training and tool funding. The intense pressure to outsource operational level tasks all while maintaining the same ops tempo has lead to challenges internally in quality requiring more time and pressure on deliverable schedules.

The big question is would I recommend this company to others? That answer for me is still a yes. Of course there are challenges, but in today's IT world I don't really know of any opportunities in the local area that don't have those in some form or another. If MasterCard is still in exactly the same place it is now five years in the future, maybe that answer changes. However, I'm looking forward to the opportunity to both influence and watch to see if that change happens.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't have your IT "cake" and eat it too. Though people managers and individual contributors continue to attempt to deliver IT services at the same intensity and pace of technology behemoths like Google and Amazon, we will never ultimately be as successful as we could be as we just aren't staffed and funded like that. To deliver core like services at commodity like pricing requires a different mindset at the operations and engineering level. Increased funding for in-sourced rather than out-sourced subject matter expertise including training and conference opportunities would allow MasterCard to deliver the same code, solutions, and designs cheaper, quicker, and at a higher quality than many of the third-party vendors we contract with today.

As the CEO of MasterCard speaks internally about how we should run our business, we need to hold ALL our management chain accountable for living those same values.

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!