MasterCard

MasterCard Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga

Ajay Banga

Pros:
  • "Very good environment and good work life balance"
    in 34 reviews
  • "Good benefits especially for employees with families"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "MasterCard HR tries to promote work/life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Everyone under middle management is expected to work "more than 40 hours" per week"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Wonderful experience with a great corporate culture.

Consumer Engagement (Former Employee)
O Fallon, MO (US)

I worked at MasterCard as an intern for less than a year

ProsCorporate culture, flexibility, work load, good perks, nice pay. Overall a very good and respected company. They have a wonderful cafeteria in Missouri.

ConsThe communication structure could have been a bit better. The work did become a bit repetitive over time. Nothing that is intolerable for a larger company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication.

Senior Analyst

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompetitive salary and bonus packages, flexible working hours. A lot of learning opportunities.

ConsWork life balance can be challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to elect MasterCard stock in the 401K program

Good work environment and work life balance

Director (Current Employee)
São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery good environment and good work life balance

ConsIt is not meritocratic, slow decision process, technology development is too cost, slow time to market

Good place to work but sliding backwards

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood pay, including good bonus that is always paid. Fast pace. Good time off. Ability (even pushed) to move around and try different areas. Looks great on a resume since everyone knows MC.

ConsWhile pay is good raises don't exists. So if you are looking to work here get every penny up front because you won't even keep up with inflation. Health coverage SUCKS!!!! It's very expensive and low coverage. Most of the Execs came up in the company so they micro manage because they did all the jobs before. Red tape everywhere. They are looking to outsource everything in IT that isn't the latest/coolest thing. It's leading to the basics taking forever, and thus costing more, and ironically, leaving less money for the latest/coolest things. Purchase (business) and St. Louis (IT) don't work well together. Ajay says we are an IT company yet he rarely comes to the IT headquarters. If we are an IT company Ajay should move to St. Louis and establish that as the headquarters.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something about salary range penitration. You are ok now but turn-over will start to really hurt as average pay moves back to the pack. Fix the healthcare package.

New to MasterCard

Senior Professional, Financial Systems (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for less than a year

ProsVery professional
Colleagues are very friendly, approachable and helpful
Objectives set for me on day 1 with an induction plan organised
Highly supportive line manager
Senior dept manager very visible and approachable

ConsNo cons to comment on

Advice to Senior ManagementNone so far. All in all a very positive experience for me in my first two weeks.
Any rating provided by me is done so on the basis that I have only been here 1.5 weeks so unable to fully evalute certain areas such as Career Opportunities

Excellent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at MasterCard full-time

ProsEnjoyed my time work at MasterCard

ConsLayoffs have occurred over the years

Never bored

Business Leader (Current Employee)
O'Fallon, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI get to work with emerging technologies. If you do not like the area you are working in, there are many others to advance your career.

ConsFast paced. Everything is needed yesterday. If you cannot Multi-task, this is not the pace for you.

Doesn't get any better!

O'Fallon, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMasterCard is amazing both in its focus on consumers and on employees. Our benefits are very generous (i.e. 3 weeks of vacation your first year, benefits from Day One, etc.). A ton of training is offered as well as an amazing education assistance policy (100%!!!). Our CEO is down-to-earth, easy to understand and follow his vision, and a good person, what an awesome combination!

Consbeauracracy is still very heavy in certain areas

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many rules, too many forms and procedures. Progress has been made but there is much to do.

Working at MasterCard has been a great experience

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCompany has been on the path of innovation, it has a great business model and our brand is well known.

ConsMasterCard went public in 2006, prior to that they were private. There is an old culture here that is not keen on changing. We need to work on that.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrying to drive innovation and fun throughout a company is a fantastic things however cannot be done in a suit and tie. Executives need to come to work dressed down to promote a more relaxed environment that promotes innovation

MasterCard is an amazing place to work if you are motivated for a dynamic career

Senior Business Leader (Current Employee)
Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time

ProsHonest executive commitment to employee development
Unlimited corporate opportunities for growth feed great personal opportunities
Competitive benefits/comp

ConsPart way through a cultural overhaul, and there is a small (getting smaller) group who is not onboard with the program. They create a disproportionate burden for the rest of us.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great progress.

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!

MasterCard Videos

MasterCard – Why Work for Us?

NOT JUST SHAPING THE FUTURE. CHANGING IT. Here at MasterCard, we work at the heart of commerce. While our people around the world may be engaged in any number of interesting and exciting projects at any given time, we… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MasterCard reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for MasterCard CEO Ajay Banga. All 222 reviews are posted anonymously by MasterCard employees.