MasterCard

MasterCard Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga

Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance (in 39 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy" (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice (in 9 reviews)

• There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Business Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsAdvancement opportunities exist if you are proactive in finding them and building your network internally. The company has clearly laid out its strategy going forward and has been well received by our customers and shareholders.

ConsNone to report at this time

Summer Intern

Summer Intern (Former Employee) O'Fallon, MO (US)

ProsMasterCard really values their interns. I was given a legitimate independent project, the results of which were used even after the internship was over. There are many internship activities throughout the summer, such as sitting in the MasterCard box at a Cardinals game, volunteering at Junior Achievement Finance Park, and various "lunch and learns" with executives. The internship is one of the most professionally designed programs I have seen. MasterCard provides housing and transportation for interns not from the area which is a huge perk. MasterCard uses the internship program as a pipeline for full-time hires. I was even given the opportunity to work remotely during the school year.

ConsInterns in MTO and IPS don't get to interact much at work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat office culture. You can tell innovation is a priority.

Challenging but positive.

Senior Business Leader (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsProfitable. Good salary. Interesting mix of Financial Services Sector and Technology Sector issues. Growing business / sector.

ConsToo many pre-IPO legacy issues which permeate the company's DNA. Brand suffers against Visa's dominant position (a similar comparison is Pepsi versus Coke's dominance). Payments is a very 'quirky' sector which retains a seemingly large proportion of quirky behaviours / styles. Very US-centric management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great benefits!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company has very good benefits. With the new CEO, the culture within the organization has been changing for the good.

ConsAny ideas suggested usually goes through all levels for approval which could be hindrance at times. Incompetent leadership in some roles are stagnating the growth in their areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to embrace an open culture by giving opportunities to high performers.

Excellent company with a strong vision for the future

Senior Business Leader (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsMasterCard has strong focus on employees and provides excellent opportunities for future growth. MasterCard's continued success in the card payment business will ensure a rewarding environment for new employees.

ConsMany career development opportunities tends to be centered around corporate headquarters as you reach more senior roles. However, MasterCard truly isn't that much different than most major corporations with a centralized headquarters.

Good place to land

Vice President (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsDeep resources and expertise to leverage for success

ConsLarge organization can be daunting to access

Depressing Place of Employment

Business Analyst (Former Employee) O'Fallon, MO (US)

ProsThere are plenty of pros if you are a "green badge" employee, like good pay, benefits, modern facilities, and team outings. These only applies to a minority of the staff as most people are "red badge" contractors.

Cons"Red badge" contractors make up the bulk of the workforce, and they are treated horribly. During the recession, MasterCard forced annual 10+% pay cuts on consultants. Converting from contractor to employee is extraordinarily difficult.

Interesting company with fast moving technology team, however lacking in other ares such as HR

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsGreat office location and environment

ConsTechnological equipment was not up to par, business processes often took a long time

MC Review

Project Manager (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsPay and benefits are amazing but it comes at a cost. The culture isn't for everyone.

ConsCulture can be extremely fast paced & cut-throat. Also a very cold place to work focused on results only.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your people

Wierd

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice office location at Purchase, great cafeteria. Offices could use updating - its like a step back into the 70's

ConsLike most large firms it doesnt live what it preaches. Poor management skills are tolerated if the person is senior because it would cost to much to fire them but people further down the food chain are expendable. If you have tenure you are less likely to be fired for poor performance but instead shuffled around the company into a new role

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!