MasterCard

Updated 10 September 2014
3.8

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga
Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance (in 39 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy" (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice (in 9 reviews)

• There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Evolving into a technology company

Current Employee - Business Leader  in  San Carlos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Leader in San Carlos, CA (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Senior leadership has a great vision for the future of the company and employees have bought in. Strong growth and profitability has allowed for acquisitions to keep pace with the change and innovation. Great benefits, profit sharing and health plan. Great internal communications and resources available to team members. A company with a social conscience.

Cons

One challenge is the highly regulated industry environment which inhibits rapid development and change. Can be bureaucratic and sluggish to move.

Communicate clear ownership and install processes to accelerate implementation of new strategic initiatives.

Aug 18, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Your sentiment regarding being socially conscious is what brings great pride; as we say Doing Well by Doing Good! thanks for your review

Very positive experience

Former Employee - Intern  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Intern in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at MasterCard as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very positive work environment, great culture.

Cons

Having to wait from the green light from on high frustrated some devs.

Admirable Culture

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than a year

Pros

The companies culture is extremely impressive. I have worked as a contractor for a little over a year and recently became an employee and couldnt be happier. I worked for another company based in St. Louis for 5 years and they are night/day with MasterCard. There is lots of employee appreciation and a also a committement to employee growth.

Cons

Any time you are working in IT there will be lots of challenges with the work which can be stressful at times. The only thing is it is very hard to come into this company as an employee without knowing someone first.

Aug 06, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Culture is a key driver when people consider working for any Brand - thanks for your thoughts!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work - glad I made the leap!

Current Employee - Leader  in  Purchase, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Leader in Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for less than a year

Pros

In addition to their solid place in the market, growing revenues and encouraging future, MasterCard treats their employees well, communicates effectively and provides empowerment to employees at all levels.

Cons

Like any large organization, politics can trump basic common sense with decision making. Also, titles for positions are ambiguous which causes some confusion.

While a matrix organization is a great collaborative tool, too many dotted lines or an unclear organizational structure leaves challenges.

Aug 06, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

We value your response - thanks so much !

Good Company

Current Employee - Consultant  in  O'Fallon, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in O'Fallon, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast Paced, Good work environment, if you work hard you get rewarded. Good tuition reimbursement, pays for certifications and training.

Cons

You may have to work overtime, not everyone works hard.

Jul 22, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for your review - we are happy that you gave some insight into our culture!

Outstanding culture that drives maximizing employee capabilities

I have been working at MasterCard full-time

Pros

Supportive and progressive culture that drives employees to maximize their capabilities and contributions. Less of the political culture found in other organizations which lends itself better to success. There is a reason it is viewed as one of the best places to work.

Cons

There is a pace that can be heightened as far as delivery of solutions, but a solution is provided. Can increase the cross communication between business and an ease of corporate navigation can be improved.

Jul 24, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks so much for your review - investing in our employees is a critical focus area...

Excellent company with a dynamic CEO who has led the company thru significant growth and positive cultural change.

Current Employee - Vice President Senior Business Leader  in  Purchase, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President Senior Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Solid business model with focus on innovation, emerging markets, financial inclusion, merchants, goverments, issuers and consumers.

Cons

Overall, excellent place to work, but sometimes organization is hard to navigate despite being relatively small with 8,000 employees.

Continue to focus on innovation, emerging markets, financial inclusion, merchants, goverments, issuers and consumers.

Jul 22, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for your comprehensive and positive review - an insider perspective is valuable!

Lack of leadership.

Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at MasterCard full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was a contractor for an associate software engineer position for $25/hr. I was paid on time. You work a lot more than you are paid for, but it is very nice to work with such a large organization. It is a big place. I am sure there are some good teams there.

Cons

The details of the job were hidden behind senior employee's egos. I was constantly reminded that I was a contractor and not an employee. There was an enormous lack of communication. I was constantly being cussed at and berated. I guess management was constantly overworked. There was a lot of negative gossip initiated by management. Obviously, you work hard and feel good about your work and are let down when after looking people in the eye day in and day out and dealing with a lot of nonsense you receive a call from a contract representative you've met once saying you are no longer employed. A lot of micromanagement.

Don't feel threatened when you are looked in the eye and spoken to. If something was not done to your satisfaction, communicate it or provide criticism/feedback.

Uncomfortable and hostile at the lower to middle management level.

I have been working at MasterCard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hiring new and younger employees while maintaining existing generations which provides a broad spectrum of existing experience and new ideas. Benefits are still reasonable and there is a matching 401k which starts vesting in the first year. Senior management is absolutely moving in the right direction.

Cons

Old school hostility still exists in pockets. Attempts are being made to clean up unacceptable behavior but it's like moving a battleship.

Train your management team and have HR proactively involved. When your overall management score is ranked below a 6 on a scale of 1 - 10 specific intervention would be useful.

Loved the work - but no life balance in the data warehouse!

Former Employee - Data Warehouse Analyst  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Data Warehouse Analyst in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at MasterCard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great co workers, nice environment, meaningful work. Good benefits!

Cons

To advance - you really have to be part of the "in crowd". Once a part of the in crowd - standard HR rules do not apply. Many managers do not have management experience and policies are not applied fairly. Friends are given good assignments and allowed to "work" from home on Fridays. Several managers are known throughout the co to have unreal expectations of their reports and are more focused on their own advancement than supporting the team. Routine 60 - 70 hour weeks are standard under some managers. Complaints to HR go unresolved.

Truly review management practices.

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!