MasterCard

MasterCard Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga

Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance (in 39 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy" (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice (in 9 reviews)

• There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Depressing Place of Employment

Business Analyst (Former Employee) O'Fallon, MO (US)

ProsThere are plenty of pros if you are a "green badge" employee, like good pay, benefits, modern facilities, and team outings. These only applies to a minority of the staff as most people are "red badge" contractors.

Cons"Red badge" contractors make up the bulk of the workforce, and they are treated horribly. During the recession, MasterCard forced annual 10+% pay cuts on consultants. Converting from contractor to employee is extraordinarily difficult.

Great benefits!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company has very good benefits. With the new CEO, the culture within the organization has been changing for the good.

ConsAny ideas suggested usually goes through all levels for approval which could be hindrance at times. Incompetent leadership in some roles are stagnating the growth in their areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to embrace an open culture by giving opportunities to high performers.

A lot of good ideas but not much when it comes to action

Product Specialist (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat work life balance, no one at the office after 7pm

ConsMoves very slowly, HR not very reactive

MasterCard Response

Jun 30, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wierd

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice office location at Purchase, great cafeteria. Offices could use updating - its like a step back into the 70's

ConsLike most large firms it doesnt live what it preaches. Poor management skills are tolerated if the person is senior because it would cost to much to fire them but people further down the food chain are expendable. If you have tenure you are less likely to be fired for poor performance but instead shuffled around the company into a new role

MC Review

Project Manager (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsPay and benefits are amazing but it comes at a cost. The culture isn't for everyone.

ConsCulture can be extremely fast paced & cut-throat. Also a very cold place to work focused on results only.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your people

Political powerhouse - HR corruption.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsDepending on who you work for, this can be a great experience. Ajay Banga changed the place for the most part so now it's more innovative and people are more hardworking.

ConsThere is tremendous corruption in HR. A few people have been there too long and have way too much power. Way too many layers, VPs are a dime a dozen.

Interesting company with fast moving technology team, however lacking in other ares such as HR

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsGreat office location and environment

ConsTechnological equipment was not up to par, business processes often took a long time

a great time to be working at MasterCard

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

Prosgreat benefits and opportunities to intereact across business units. Always comfortable environment.

Conssometimes it seems that important information intended for all employees doesn't make its way down the line. There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle.

Self-Starters Only Need Apply

Senior IT Analyst (Former Employee) O'Fallon, MO (US)

ProsGreat Benefits Including Bonus Program
    Casual Dress
    Work From Home (Most Positions)
    Beautiful Campus With Onsite Fitness Center, Full Cafeteria, Game Rooms, etc.

ConsWork Pace Can Be Grinding At Times
    Not Enough People To Meet Expectations/Goals
    Meetings, Meetings, Meetings!
    Separatist Attitude Amongst Management - Too Good For The Trenches

Advice to Senior ManagementStay In Touch With What's Really Going On
    Listen More, Meet Less

Good place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are lots of educational opportunities.

ConsMeetings are a large part of the culture and peoples calendars are always overbooked.

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!