MasterCard

Updated 29 October 2014
3.7

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga
Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice (in 10 reviews)

• No priorities at the senior management level (need to be everything to everyone) and execution is unrealistic (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Exclusive Company

Former Employee - Analyst in Purchase, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and work-life balance

Cons

Job security and the integrity of the company is awful

Be transparent with staff

If it wasn't for the people I would have left years ago

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with
    Relaxed Atmosphere
    Nice Benefits
    Very Social
    Great CEO
    and opportunities -depending on what team you end up in

Cons

Overall MasterCard is a great company to work for- but this depends what department you work in.
    If like me you were stuck in the wrong department it can make or break your career.
    There were no bonuses, no promotions and no follow through if you raised issues about how things were run. They was a serious lack in communication and although they said they were improving this I hadn't noticed any changed before leaving the company. Many people have left the department due to micromanagement, and more are seeking employment outside the company, which is a shame considering the level of expertise they have.
    I would have remained in the company if an opportunity in another department had become available but unfortunately this did not happen. HR and Management would rather lose good employees than listen to their concerns.

take on board employee's concerns, especially when management receive lower than 5 score on reviews. If this was the other way around managers would be quick to act.
    Budgets need to be standardized across the company, it is very demotivating to see other employees promoted or able to travel 1st class when your team cannot even get a tea and coffee allowance for client meetings.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent work-life balance. Seems like a lot of opportunity for younger less experienced employees to get visibility and get involved in many training opportunities. Senior management is looking for new ideas and products to be innovative within the industry.

Cons

Decision making by some of management is very time consuming. Many people do not want to rock the boat, so there is a lot of looking for a large consensus before a decision is made.

Keep on trying to have mangers be pioneers when it comes to decision making.

Smart, Talented Individuals - Company progressing very well

Current Employee - Leader in O'Fallon, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Leader in O'Fallon, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent pay, benefits, vacation, 401k, holidays. If working for the right manager, life is very good. Much room for advancement, coaching and education are encouraged.

Cons

Some high-level management have no business "managing" people. Complaints are put back on the lower-level management, who end up stuck in the middle with no alternative but to move to another position. If you are friends with one of these high-level managers, you're in - if not, better looki for another position. On the other side of the house, there aren't many promotions in current positions (even as you grow) unless you apply to a higher level.

HR should listen to their employees, not simply nod and say "I understand." That does not produce results. When People Effectiveness Survey results are published to management and HR 1. Commend those with high results and 2. Deal withi those who have low results. Don't ignore them.

Sep 08, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thank you for your candid remarks. We take reviews and our employee surveys seriously to garner insight for continuous improvement!

Very very disappointing-

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. I encounter some depts that seem like they are run well and have positive working environments w collaborative teams. Not mine.

Cons

I can't even pinpoint the source of the terrible culture, morale and lack of team engagement but it is so pervasive in some groups that it can make work a nightmare. I hate to generalize the company as a whole as I know there are some areas that are not run this way and I am one of the unlucky ones that got stuck in a totally cliquish group lead by a terrible manager. Absolutely zero communication or clarity on expectations, zero product training, no management support in any way. Do not even think about doing anything innovative or out of the box of your primary role, totally frowned upon and be prepared that every question you ask of a teammate re product or anything company related will get reported back to your boss as lack of knowledge, general ineptitude so that the whole team is afraid to ever ask a question or ever think out of the box. So sad because there is some decent technology happening but it will never flourish because they are so old school in their thinking like a corporation from the 70's. Stepford-ish. ......no wonder everyone goes to Visa

Engage and develop your people, don't be threatened by people that are highly motivated. Appreciate the diverse backgrounds and experience that your team brings and stop judging value solely on how much mastercard knowledge they have, look beyond your own walls and use and appreciate varied backgrounds-that is what makes a company great. Not everyone needs to have 15 years of MasterCard experience to be an asset to the company. You don't know everything so stop seeing the world through your narrow lens. Take notes from other co's that do things right, paypal, visa, world pay, digital river, oracle, apple, google, amazon to name a few. There is a reason no top payment and tech talent ever consider going to MC, bad reputation for inner company dynamics, poor leadership and old school thinking, rewarding conformity and frowning on individuality and new ideas- wont stay here more than a couple years, even though I planned to retire from the co-

The company is headed in the right direction but some of the leaders and HR practices are appalling.

Former Employee - Senior Managing Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Managing Consultant

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Relatively good compensation compared to local market
    Nice working atmosphere
    Relatively generous benefits

Cons

Country managers rule as medieval kings in their countries
    At MasterCard Advisors there are mostly senior consultants and no juniors to perform the non-value added part of job
    Very fluctuating quality of consultants

Try to overhaul MasterCard Advisors and make it more siimilar to top-tier consulting companies such as McKinsey, BCG, etc.

Very mature company that strives to grow market share using innovative products and solutions.

Current Employee - Director in O'Fallon, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Director in O'Fallon, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits package. Good product leadership team.

Cons

Slow speed to market, but things might change in a few years

Reduce red tape barriers. IT and products need to work more as a team.

Sep 29, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for your comments..leading with great people and benefits drive our success now and in the future!

Great Exprience!

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great work culture and ethics
    - Takes care of its employees
    - Decent complensation

Cons

- Employees could get few more benefits

n.a.

Sep 02, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Hearing positive feedback on our culture feels great! Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

wonderful experience

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (less than an year)

Pros

So far my thoughts about Mastercard are very positive. The people and the environment is very friendly. The employees really are commited to the organiztion and management sees it. I can say that I am proud to be a part of this company and look forward to seeing the future here. I would for sure tell friends and family that this is a great place to work.

Cons

there are no cons that I have seen

Aug 19, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

So glad that your early experience is so positive! Thanks for sharing....

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Business Leader
    Current Employee - Senior Business Leader

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation very competitive, solid management team, loads of career opportunity, company truly cares about its employees

Cons

A great deal of lateral opportunity, but can be challenging to find upward opportunity especially at senior management level, at times management is not as transparent as they should be

Become slightly less risk averse, beat Visa to the punch, continue to focus on emerging payment opportunities

Aug 18, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for your thoughts - an open, transparent culture is a winning one!