MasterCard

MasterCard Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga

Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance (in 39 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy" (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice (in 9 reviews)

• There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work environment

Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsMasterCard has a lot of employees who know a great deal about the payment industry. The company is also investing a lot in the training of its staff. It's a great place to learn a lot.

The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance.

ConsThe location is not great. The company could have a more flexible work from home policy. There are a lot of meetings and a limited sense of accountability at times. It's sometimes challenging to act swiftly.

MasterCard Response

May 13, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience thus far!

Stable company but that's it

Business Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsStable company, they will be around for a while and are profitable.

ConsCompensation is below average, and opportunities for advancement are few and far between.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide actual incentives for lateral moves (saying that you are getting new skills doesn't work when the hiring managers are not willing to hire someone without years of experience doing everything in the job description) and stop telling hiring managers to only hire externally.

Uncompetitive in Canada

Vice President (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsCome talented people
    Good industry to work in
    Good focus on innovation

ConsCanadian leadership is incompetent
    Sales and client management teams are was behind market leaders, Amex and VISA
    Leadership not able to drive improvement

Advice to Senior ManagementTake advantage of the talent that the organization already has to close key gaps in sales and client management
    Address the competitive losing streak and develop a strategy to start winning again
    Make "focus on the customer" more than just something you say

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

Director (Former Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

Prosgood benefits, nice profit sharing plan

Consineffective managers, requires face time

Advice to Senior Managementlisten

working as a contractor at MasterCard

Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) O'Fallon, MO (US)

ProsThey are very flexible in work hours, dress.

ConsYour management may change due to reorgs or project.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe are not consistent on how they treat contractors. My first manager treated me as an employee - 1 on 1's and provided training. My second manager really spent no time with me.

MasterCard - a glocal company

Director (Current Employee) Warsaw (Poland)

ProsMasterCard is a global company however it gives a considerable degree of trust towards local country offices with regards to business strategy and decision making.

ConsThere is not enough of growth/promotion opportunities for empolyees of the local country offices as opposed to global and regional headquarters.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe strategy for promoting and growing people as well as possible employees relocation should be revised.

Former Employee

Anonymous (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsMany great people, nice benefits, good physical environment - interesting work.

ConsPolitics can be very frustrating, some internal management promotions are very questionable! The work life ratio can be extremely unbalanced - depending upon specific managers. Yearly reviews are skewed - above average ratings are not necessarily based on performance - but rather on the clique and opportunities management assigned.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a closer look at the internal promotion and good old boy network. Review the yearly performance rating policies.

Great company culture

Analyst (Former Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

Pros-Very positive environment, friendly people, beautiful headquarters in Purchase. Good/cheap cafeteria with healthy food, and a gym on site. They're very much trying to make a 'Google vibe' there, i.e., they just put in scooters to ride around the office.

-Smart coworkers top-to-bottom. Most of the young grads went to very good universities.

-Solid work/life balance. Not many people working insane hours.

-Stock has been on a roll the last couple years. Wonder how much longer that lasts.

-The company, with their 'MasterCard Labs', is really commited to creating technologically revolutionary products, even if they don't financially benefit the company anytime soon.

Cons-It seemed like a lot of young workers were leaving for AmEx and better paying jobs.

-Very rigid, old-fashioned military-style 'pay-scale'. Can be frustrating that pay and positions are so rigidly defined.

-The public transit commute out to Purchase from the city can take 90 minutes door to desk. This certainly discourages city-livers from joining. The company is trying to rectify this by opening an office in Manhattan (Union Square) and by allowing more remote work.

Advice to Senior Management-Seems like a lot of young workers leave after a year or two for higher paying opportunities at other firms. Not sure if this is actually that much of a problem, perhaps.

Great company, solid future

ProsMarket place is always changing and evolving so no opportunity to get bored.
    Comp seems to be in line or a little above average

ConsCEO and one level down need to get more in touch with the rest of the company and stop believing their own hype. Tricky given the amount of comp they receive and probably no worse than elsewhere but seems to be getting worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening more.

Wonderful experience with a great corporate culture.

Consumer Engagement (Former Employee) O Fallon, MO (US)

ProsCorporate culture, flexibility, work load, good perks, nice pay. Overall a very good and respected company. They have a wonderful cafeteria in Missouri.

ConsThe communication structure could have been a bit better. The work did become a bit repetitive over time. Nothing that is intolerable for a larger company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication.

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!