MasterCard

www.mastercard.com

Great atmosphere

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, environment and people, the company is trying to be a IT company, I think is doing well

Cons

Software process need to improve, the management can’t skip process

try listening more the engineers for do the things in the right way, i know is a lot of competitive out there, but sometimes it's better postpone releases

MasterCard New York City Office is a great for innovation and product development

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Payment Industry is going through a big change and MasterCard is evolving itself to make it self a better place to work.

Cons

Still lot of red tape and process to make things happen.

Look at the bigger picture and plan for beyond 1 or 2 year horizon.

MasterCard Response

Oct 22, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

We are thrilled to announce our NYC presence! Our tech hub is one of many exciting changes to come - enjoy the new space.

Don't be fooled!

Current Employee - Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good Brand. Good to have on CV. Pleasant working environment and people.

Cons

The CEO thinks MC should be young and innovative, so if you are over 40+, you need to be looking over your shoulder. They are on a mission to get rid as many older professionals. However, you would be amazed at some older professionals who cling to their jobs and are the real dead weight.
    After the disaster from their mass dismissal in 2008 in Europe, they now adapt a stealth firing strategy, secreting kicking people out all the time, 80% are women over 40+. They now hire cheaper younger staff, but if those people are smart they will never stick around-no career paths.
    The CEO is more focused on his public image. Since his arrival the number of people from India has increased tenfold. I guess there are no qualified people in the US left?
    Very few if any good managers. Sr. Business Leaders and above have free reign on how badly they can treat people. Human-less Resources are purely there to support management. A real 'Gestapo approach'.
    The Waterloo office in Belgium is being dismantled and many jobs are going to the UK, There is a very anti Western Europe/UK/US feeling in the European region.
    Overall, it's a shame because with the right fearless leadership many of these issues could be minimized.
    The culture is really afraid of people who have an opinion and want to make change, but of course is you are a person like that then this might be a fit.
    It's really a mediocre company pretending to be something it isn't and lucky there is only one competitor-VISA.\
    BTW- WHen you read all those positive reviews they are most likely HR people working for the company, because nobody would write such nonsense!

where do I start?

A wonderful place for an internship

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is unbelievable - really push taking care of yourself and not working too late at all. Everyone is very down to earth. Compensation is pretty good. Company values are really great. CEO is fantastic.

Cons

Probably not enough training. The headquarters are located in Purchase, NY (1 hour outside of NYC), so commute is not ideal.

Should expand offices in NYC to attract top talent. Those just getting out of college do not want to commute from New York City.

Good experience

Current Employee - Vice President Business Development in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President Business Development in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Global company, Leader in the Industry

Cons

Corporate environment. Some groups work without taking advantage of others

MasterCard is an amazing company with a world of opportunities and great people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people.. it is a place with hard working, smart, amazing individuals.. not all are perfect but overall it is a privilege to work there.

Cons

Very few... it has changed tremendously .. for the better. Tapping into more of the ingenuity of employees, unleashing more of the creativity and executing on it would lead to greater innovation.

MasterCard Response

Oct 14, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for your comments. People are at the center of our success, today and tomorrow!

Summer Intern 2014

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard as an intern

Pros

MasterCard's summer internship is an excellent program, and gave me true insight into the payments industry. We heard from many different speakers, and even got to participate in a community service day at a local nature preserve. I would recommend this to anyone!

Cons

My department did not give me a ton of work, so there were some days where I had limited work...however this pushed me to network with different focus groups and meet lots of people.

A company that is making the shift to digital payments in a quickly evolving industry

Current Employee - Corporate Support in Purchase, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Corporate Support in Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time

Pros

culture where suggestions are welcome and the idea is to get to know the complex business model and contribute; lots of opportunities for lateral movement and room for advancement at the junior and mid-ranks

Cons

consensus driven culture and not always speedy resolution to issues; strategy is widely discussed, but specifics on how to execute can often be amorphous

great to support the rising stars; be straightforward about long-term view with those who may not be

Golden Handcuffs.... Not a Real Technology Company

Current Employee - Senior Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is great and the company is located in Westchester which is a great commute for those within 15-20 minutes of the location. Lot of great people that work at MC.

Cons

Leadership is based on ensuring you sit well with the CEO.. if not... you're out. Lots of miserable people. No opportunity for growth especially for minorities... horrible bosses which is encouraged by CEO... Company has invested funds into getting rid of positions or people that don't meet the current "culture". Employees are encouraged to hire talent that are under 30 to drive culture change driven by the CEO. However the catch is that the new talent get frustrated as there is no room to grow. If they feel you get frustrated (young or seasoned talent), they will eliminate your role. Not very innovative and trying hard to hire talent to make them innovative and eliminate those that have been there for a while.

Had a great experience during my internship!

Former Employee - IT Intern
    Former Employee - IT Intern

I worked at MasterCard full-time (less than a year)

Pros

.While interning, I had the opportunity to work with other departments
    .The employees are more than happy to let you shadow them
    .Upper management was open to sharing their own life experience, and what I can do to be successful

Cons

.There where some moments where I had nothing to do

N/A