MasterCard

Updated 16 December 2014
3.7

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga
Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice (in 12 reviews)

• No priorities at the senior management level (need to be everything to everyone) and execution is unrealistic (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Lack of leadership.

Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at MasterCard full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was a contractor for an associate software engineer position for $25/hr. I was paid on time. You work a lot more than you are paid for, but it is very nice to work with such a large organization. It is a big place. I am sure there are some good teams there.

Cons

The details of the job were hidden behind senior employee's egos. I was constantly reminded that I was a contractor and not an employee. There was an enormous lack of communication. I was constantly being cussed at and berated. I guess management was constantly overworked. There was a lot of negative gossip initiated by management. Obviously, you work hard and feel good about your work and are let down when after looking people in the eye day in and day out and dealing with a lot of nonsense you receive a call from a contract representative you've met once saying you are no longer employed. A lot of micromanagement.

Don't feel threatened when you are looked in the eye and spoken to. If something was not done to your satisfaction, communicate it or provide criticism/feedback.

Uncomfortable and hostile at the lower to middle management level.

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hiring new and younger employees while maintaining existing generations which provides a broad spectrum of existing experience and new ideas. Benefits are still reasonable and there is a matching 401k which starts vesting in the first year. Senior management is absolutely moving in the right direction.

Cons

Old school hostility still exists in pockets. Attempts are being made to clean up unacceptable behavior but it's like moving a battleship.

Train your management team and have HR proactively involved. When your overall management score is ranked below a 6 on a scale of 1 - 10 specific intervention would be useful.

Loved the work - but no life balance in the data warehouse!

Former Employee - Data Warehouse Analyst in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Data Warehouse Analyst in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co workers, nice environment, meaningful work. Good benefits!

Cons

To advance - you really have to be part of the "in crowd". Once a part of the in crowd - standard HR rules do not apply. Many managers do not have management experience and policies are not applied fairly. Friends are given good assignments and allowed to "work" from home on Fridays. Several managers are known throughout the co to have unreal expectations of their reports and are more focused on their own advancement than supporting the team. Routine 60 - 70 hour weeks are standard under some managers. Complaints to HR go unresolved.

Truly review management practices.

Summer Intern

Former Employee - Summer Intern in O'Fallon, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in O'Fallon, MO (US)

I worked at MasterCard as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

MasterCard really values their interns. I was given a legitimate independent project, the results of which were used even after the internship was over. There are many internship activities throughout the summer, such as sitting in the MasterCard box at a Cardinals game, volunteering at Junior Achievement Finance Park, and various "lunch and learns" with executives. The internship is one of the most professionally designed programs I have seen. MasterCard provides housing and transportation for interns not from the area which is a huge perk. MasterCard uses the internship program as a pipeline for full-time hires. I was even given the opportunity to work remotely during the school year.

Cons

Interns in MTO and IPS don't get to interact much at work.

Great office culture. You can tell innovation is a priority.

Great place to work

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Dynamic, interesting work. Solid management team in place and a great outlook for the company

Cons

MasterCard could do better hiring straight out of college/grad school. Most employees have significant industry experience that would be complimented by new blood.

Jul 15, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for your feedback - especially on hiring emerging professionals!

Good Company

Current Employee - Consultant in O'Fallon, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in O'Fallon, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast Paced, Good work environment, if you work hard you get rewarded. Good tuition reimbursement, pays for certifications and training.

Cons

You may have to work overtime, not everyone works hard.

Jul 22, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for your review - we are happy that you gave some insight into our culture!

Outstanding culture that drives maximizing employee capabilities

I have been working at MasterCard full-time

Pros

Supportive and progressive culture that drives employees to maximize their capabilities and contributions. Less of the political culture found in other organizations which lends itself better to success. There is a reason it is viewed as one of the best places to work.

Cons

There is a pace that can be heightened as far as delivery of solutions, but a solution is provided. Can increase the cross communication between business and an ease of corporate navigation can be improved.

Jul 24, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks so much for your review - investing in our employees is a critical focus area...

Excellent company with a dynamic CEO who has led the company thru significant growth and positive cultural change.

Current Employee - Vice President Senior Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President Senior Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Solid business model with focus on innovation, emerging markets, financial inclusion, merchants, goverments, issuers and consumers.

Cons

Overall, excellent place to work, but sometimes organization is hard to navigate despite being relatively small with 8,000 employees.

Continue to focus on innovation, emerging markets, financial inclusion, merchants, goverments, issuers and consumers.

Jul 22, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for your comprehensive and positive review - an insider perspective is valuable!

About the job...

Current Employee - Account Management
    Current Employee - Account Management

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I find a great live/work balance here at MasterCard; I start early and end early...usually 7AM - 4PM. The benefits are top notch with access to a gym and great medical and the company is doing very well overall.

Cons

On the down side, there is a lot of structure that come along with a bigger, public company...meaning lots of red-tape and reporting to managers.

Jul 22, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

People join Cultures..great tips from an insider - thanks!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Advancement opportunities exist if you are proactive in finding them and building your network internally. The company has clearly laid out its strategy going forward and has been well received by our customers and shareholders.

Cons

None to report at this time