MasterCard Reviews

Updated 14 April 2015
376 reviews filtered by

Nice from the outside but scratch beneath the surface there are a lot of problems

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

Good pay
    Nice colleagues
    FIFA and Snooker
    Mobility

Cons

Under experienced and undertrained management, can make your life a misery!!!
    HR more interested in brushing problems under the caret than to try and sort anything out. This alone would be a reason to avoid working in this office.
    Big issues between the EU and US, very much a turf war. Felt like the Dublin office was the child stuck in the middle of two fighting parents.
    No career opportunities, forget moving up the ladder unless you want to move out of the country

Advice to Management

Train your managers.
    From the management reviews of managers actually take action when they are been ranked low and not ignore it.
    Start promoting on results and not who's the group heads favourite
    When issues arise take action and don't ignore them

I hoped for so much more

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in O'Fallon, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in O'Fallon, MO (US)

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lofty but achievable goals, driven by innovation, working with some of the worlds best technolgists. They will provide what you want and need to be innovative.

Cons

"Not everyone can be successful" they say. Anyone at mastercard has heard this excuse time and time and time again.

To be "successful" or above, you have to stab your trusted co-workers in the back and constantly try to one-up the next guy, even if they too are trying to be successful. Favoratism rules - not quality of work. Are you a close friend of a Sr. business leader?...cool. You get ALL the rewards regardless of work output or ideas, or efforts! No worries. Do you have creative and innovative ideas...awesome! Just don't expect to get any credit or a raise or bonus for them because your manager will claim that for himself.

You simply can not get ahead without hurting someone else. Its a poor "statistics" based review policy and is so DE-motivating to me over the years that I had to leave. No matter how hard I tried, pushed the envelope, or got involved, follwed the promoted processes, did everything and everything I could think of... i couldnt get ahead.

Lastly - TOO many overseas contactors! Don't get me wrong, some of these guys are awesome -- but many (or MOST rather) can't hold their own to save their life, and when they do aquire a skill, they quit and go somewhere else. Complete waste of everyones time and company money. FTE's spend a lot of time covering for their mistakes and fixing what these "Teflon coated contractors" create. Not that we get any credit for it, but FTE's tend to do the work of 4 brain-dead, timeclock driven contractors. FTE's are results driven and most contractors only care about billable hours. Which would you rather have creating your next great product

Advice to Management

Non management employees work equally as hard and are completely on-board with MasterCard objectives. RECONGNIZE that with proper bonus and raises!! Good Technolgists are not "disposible" -- management is! When you recognize that ALL the new products and technical idea are created by a technogiest and NOT a manager -- then you'll be a better place to work. Until that happens, your an IT based sweat shop. Nothing more.

3. Program Manager

Former Employee - Program Manager
    Former Employee - Program Manager

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

small company with big brand name. many opportunities to get involved in different projects and learn new stuff. close relationship between employees.

Cons

no obvious cons. one thing could be too many internal policies or work flows to follow, which may slow down the work pace.

5. implementation consultant

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, good pay, good people

Cons

worked at IPS, still a young company with no definite leadership or direction

Good company to work for if you're in the right department & role

Current Contractor - Marketing Executive in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Contractor - Marketing Executive in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at MasterCard as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance (Depending on the role)
    Good salary & benefits (For full time staff)
    Interesting industry to be in
    Strong CEO

Cons

Inter-Department politics
    Weak business processes - especially in HR
    Terrible career advancement opportunities & proper structure
    Limited training opportunities - only available to the interns or management associates
    Does not value the contract staff - no conversion opportunities. treated like 2nd rate staff on many fronts
    No headcount when more people are obviously required to
    Top heavy structure - compromises on execution
    Passing over internal talent & hiring outside the company for senior positions

Advice to Management

Cherish your contract staff - there is talent there.
    Expand & hire more 'low level' staff to boost execution.
    Explore placing a mandatory 6 month swop between certain departments to promote understanding & minimize politics
    HR needs to increase their effectiveness & do things that truly matter to people - proper onboarding processes, providing the necessary support, training & career guidance etc.
    Pay attention to the feedback

7. Fantastic company to work

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

Emee can do Work life balance

Cons

R and R is not clear and Weak business process

Advice to Management

Try to enhance hr process

Very capable leadership. However, HR is non-existent, hence career growth depends on line managers entirely

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

Good leadership, Motivating vision, High flexibility

Cons

No structured career development process
    Tendency to recruit people from outside rather than offer internal movements

Great Company To Work For With A Few Major Flaws

Former Employee - Project Management Senior Specialist in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Project Management Senior Specialist in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

MasterCard is a very forward thinking company. I found my time there extremely enjoyable and one where business groups got along and collaborative efforts between departments were encouraged. That old cliche of employees feeling like family actually had some substance here as a good number of people whom I worked with in my department and across a variety of business groups have been with the company for many years. They do hire contractors on as perm employees. Good number of extra office activities also are a bonus. Free tickets, shows, and lunches are often comped.

Cons

The most noticeable and ever present negative to this wonderful company is that the pay rate for managers, analysts, VP's, and technical specialists tends to be somewhere around 30% below the national average for matching roles (this is applicable for the U.S. market only although I have been told this trend is a global one by more distant contacts). This nugget of knowledge is well known within and without the organization. Recruiters and Talent Sourcing Teams often have to set expectations low for new talent and raises and bonuses are not common in North America. I have seen a great number of professionals leave as a result of being way undervalued. I admit that I left for this same reason and this was my most cherished job in my career. A very painful decision for myself and those who left before and after my time. A second equally damaging negative I have seen first hand and continue to hear to this day is that the Latin America division of MasterCard has some deceptive practices when it comes to offering positions and then rescinding them at the last minute. A very close colleague of mine and another former co-worker known to me reported having been offered positions only to never receive callbacks or being placed in the position of turning down other work opportunities in light of being told they had secured a position with MasterCard only to never receive a start date or full offer letter. This is really upsetting as I love this company but I have seen this practice happen to others and have heard that within LATAM this is commonplace.

Advice to Management

Recognize you are failing to retain good talent and your low pay rates discourage new hires who are the future of your company.
    Better efforts need to be made with regards to false promises made by VP's and their direct reports with regards to offering positions to potential workers and then going back on their word and not following through. It is a cheap tatic that effects the lives of people who are trying to gain employment with your company and may result in tricky litigation if not properly supervised.

10. Great company

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

team environment, growth, free gym, company store

Cons

a lot of political red tape to get ideas moved

11. Conservative culture, smart people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work, lots of pride in the company and stable, trustworthy culture to be a part of.

Cons

Very corporate, not a lot of opportunity to do your own thing inside such a structured chain of command.

Advice to Management

Open yourselves up to new ideas and embrace the changing landscape in financial services. Don't let the attorneys make all of your decisions for you.