MasterCard

www.mastercard.com

Large company with career growth opportunities.

Current Employee - Associate Analyst in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Analyst in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good salary, tons of training available, paid tuition, and work life balance. Good environment. Life balance. High code of conduct and good benefits.

Cons

The company is a little top heavy. You get spoiled with the perks there and then working elsewere is unbearable

Be open to your employees

Marketing - mid level manager

Former Employee - Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Some very smart people. Beginning a culture shift over to a technology company. Lot's of upside.

Cons

There's some deadweight in the organization that could easily be eliminated if the company had the fortitude. Marketing is a bit of a mess as a function, especially the US region (lot's of firedrills, senior management says "yes" to everything leaving mid and junior level managers to sort things out and work long hours). Also, if you want to truly be a tech innovator and attract truly innovative people, you might want to consider moving HQ out of the sleepy suburbs and into NYC.

Dig a bit deeper into what people are telling you. A great strategy can be easily derailed by poor execution. Value both types of work, strategic and tactical, equally. Learn to truly prioritize and not just pile projects on top of one another.

Great place to work. Nice culture and very helpful colleagues.

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is great. The office culture is super and is consistent across all the regional offices.

Cons

Compensation negotiation was painful. If negotiation is not your strength, get a pro to help.

There needs to be some improvement on compensation conversations.

Exclusive Company

Former Employee - Analyst in Purchase, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and work-life balance

Cons

Job security and the integrity of the company is awful

Be transparent with staff

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work, competitive compensation, development opportunities and good people. Company is undergoing a lot of change - individuals can make an impact. Strong executive management. Good work-life integration.

Cons

Company is undergoing a lot of change, which can be hard to navigate. No priorities at the senior management level (need to be everything to everyone) and execution is unrealistic. Company needs more diversity at all levels.

MasterCard Response

Sep 23, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

We appreciate your time and attention to writing this review. Your candor helps our Brand build for the future. Thank you.

If it wasn't for the people I would have left years ago

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with
    Relaxed Atmosphere
    Nice Benefits
    Very Social
    Great CEO
    and opportunities -depending on what team you end up in

Cons

Overall MasterCard is a great company to work for- but this depends what department you work in.
    If like me you were stuck in the wrong department it can make or break your career.
    There were no bonuses, no promotions and no follow through if you raised issues about how things were run. They was a serious lack in communication and although they said they were improving this I hadn't noticed any changed before leaving the company. Many people have left the department due to micromanagement, and more are seeking employment outside the company, which is a shame considering the level of expertise they have.
    I would have remained in the company if an opportunity in another department had become available but unfortunately this did not happen. HR and Management would rather lose good employees than listen to their concerns.

take on board employee's concerns, especially when management receive lower than 5 score on reviews. If this was the other way around managers would be quick to act.
    Budgets need to be standardized across the company, it is very demotivating to see other employees promoted or able to travel 1st class when your team cannot even get a tea and coffee allowance for client meetings.

Profitable company, unpleasant environment.

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

Good bonuses
    Attractive grounds
    Good health benefits

Cons

Lots of nepotism
    Unpleasant atmosphere
    Unprofessional behavior

The best induction process I've witnessed and it's evident that this company care about their staff

Current Employee - Digital Marketing in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Career progression, personal growth, morale, communication

Cons

Large company culture means it's difficult to stay on top of changes

Very very disappointing-

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. I encounter some depts that seem like they are run well and have positive working environments w collaborative teams. Not mine.

Cons

I can't even pinpoint the source of the terrible culture, morale and lack of team engagement but it is so pervasive in some groups that it can make work a nightmare. I hate to generalize the company as a whole as I know there are some areas that are not run this way and I am one of the unlucky ones that got stuck in a totally cliquish group lead by a terrible manager. Absolutely zero communication or clarity on expectations, zero product training, no management support in any way. Do not even think about doing anything innovative or out of the box of your primary role, totally frowned upon and be prepared that every question you ask of a teammate re product or anything company related will get reported back to your boss as lack of knowledge, general ineptitude so that the whole team is afraid to ever ask a question or ever think out of the box. So sad because there is some decent technology happening but it will never flourish because they are so old school in their thinking like a corporation from the 70's. Stepford-ish. ......no wonder everyone goes to Visa

Engage and develop your people, don't be threatened by people that are highly motivated. Appreciate the diverse backgrounds and experience that your team brings and stop judging value solely on how much mastercard knowledge they have, look beyond your own walls and use and appreciate varied backgrounds-that is what makes a company great. Not everyone needs to have 15 years of MasterCard experience to be an asset to the company. You don't know everything so stop seeing the world through your narrow lens. Take notes from other co's that do things right, paypal, visa, world pay, digital river, oracle, apple, google, amazon to name a few. There is a reason no top payment and tech talent ever consider going to MC, bad reputation for inner company dynamics, poor leadership and old school thinking, rewarding conformity and frowning on individuality and new ideas- wont stay here more than a couple years, even though I planned to retire from the co-

Good place to work

Former Employee - Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent work-life balance. Seems like a lot of opportunity for younger less experienced employees to get visibility and get involved in many training opportunities. Senior management is looking for new ideas and products to be innovative within the industry.

Cons

Decision making by some of management is very time consuming. Many people do not want to rock the boat, so there is a lot of looking for a large consensus before a decision is made.

Keep on trying to have mangers be pioneers when it comes to decision making.