McGladrey LLP

Updated 19 August 2014

3.6

McGladrey LLP Managing Partner & CEO Joe Adams
Joe Adams

Pros
  • The work-life balance is significantly better than what you will get at a Big 4 firm (in 45 reviews)

• While it isn't the Big 4, they pay you a decent amount in salary (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is a struggle for most of the year (in 34 reviews)

• I was sent out of town for 4 weeks in a row during busy season (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for. They treat employees very nice

Current Employee - Senior Audit Associate  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Audit Associate in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Office culture, professional growth opportunities, great learning experience

Cons

Work-life balance: busy season is extremely hard

I wish the work-life balance during busy season was taken more serious so as jobs plannings. As such seniors wouldn't have to work 85 hours per week to meed deadlines.

It was worth the time

Pros

You will get good exposure

Cons

There can be lack of clear communication

Awesome

Pros

I Love working here at McGladrey

Cons

Currently I do not see any cons

Love

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Culture

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)

Pros

career advisor is very supportive

Cons

nobody really talks to you because they are busy

have a more employee friendly culture

Challenging, rewarding job with an incredible group of coworkers

Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Pros

I have worked in the Atlanta office for over two and a half years. When I first started, the office was very small and did not have partners. During the past two years, turnover has hurt the office, making certain aspects of the job more difficult and unorganized. However, most of those who left contributed to the culture improving. Within the last year, two new partners have been hired. Since the leadership changes, office morale has significantly improved. The leadership team in place truly cares about each and every employee as well as making the Atlanta office a great place to work.

During my time in the Atlanta office, I struggled with deciding if I should leave due to the lack of upper management and structure when I started. However, since the change in management, most of the issues that we experienced in the past have been resolved. With the leadership team now in place, processes and procedures have become more streamlined and we now operate in a way that an office should. We no longer experience a lot of the administrative headaches that were dealt with in the past. While not all problems can be fixed overnight, I am very pleased with the progress the office has made in just a year. I do not regret my decision to stay. I am very hopeful about the direction of the office and I am excited to be a part of the continued growth. The entire culture of the office has significantly changed and only for the better. I feel that I am a very valued and appreciated employee of the office.

Due to the smaller scale of the office, I have been exposed to far more than my peers in other McGladrey offices within the firm. While at times this has been challenging, I believe it has benefited me and will continue to benefit my growth as a professional. When I first started I did not see the advantage of being in a smaller, startup office. However, I see now the Atlanta office has a lot to offer, no matter what level you are.

If you are looking for somewhere to start your career or somewhere to further your career at a faster pace, I would highly recommend coming to work in the Atlanta office.

Cons

The Atlanta office currently shares certain functions such as HR and recruiting with other offices within the region. Once the office is large enough to support these roles, the Atlanta office will have them in place.

Gaps in experience level can cause frustration at times. However, this also allows employees to be exposed to more than they would be in other offices.

Keep up the good work. You have done a great job in improving the culture of the Atlanta office. I am excited to see where we will be a year from now.

McGladrey has been a great place to start my career.

Current Employee - Consulting Supervisor  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Consulting Supervisor in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Supportive leadership, cross-training, relaxed culture.

Cons

Somewhat disorganized, lack of global recognition, too many inconsistencies across regions.

Continue to shore up the inconsistencies and focus on retaining your stars and the rest will take care of itself.

Typical public accounting experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Pros

Lots of exposure to upper management since it's a smaller firm

Cons

A lot of clients are in the suburbs so if you are living in the city, you may spend a good portion of your life commuting.

Experience will depend on the region and the practice - needs more consistency

Current Employee - Manager  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

If you want to develop expertise in mid-market, this is the firm for you. They are not looking to be with the Big Four.

Cons

Highly regionalized and there's not much cross-selling and cross-functional teaming. Industry specialization is not quite there yet. There is a knowledge gap between them and the Big Four.

Partners need to live the brand and firm-wide strategy on a consistent basis. Firm values and mission are well developed, but the roll out has not been inconsistent.

Good company, slower pace than big4 but slow learning curve to match

Current Employee - Manager  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY (US)

Pros

Its in a Good location
    If you chose to make it a priority, good Work life balance

Cons

Definitely below market pay and due to large staff turnover, understaffed

Great up and coming office with endless opportunities

Current Employee - Assurance Senior Associate  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Assurance Senior Associate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Pros

I have worked in the McGladrey Atlanta office for just under two years now. Before that I had interned at one of the larger McGladrey offices in the region. When I started in this office there were around 35 employees. The office was about three years old at the time did not have any partners. My initial thoughts after transferring to Atlanta were that: the administrative staff had not been properly trained and were of absolutely no help, the office did not have near the amount of firm resources that other offices had, the employees had not received all of the proper training and the management was lackluster to say the least. All in all, the office seemed to lack guidance.

With all of that being said, the Atlanta office has made a 180 degree change in the last year. This change can be attributed to the addition of two new partners, a couple of internal transfers, a few experienced hires, and a complete overhaul of the administrative staff. The office has "cleaned house" and focused on bringing the right people in and not just settling on the first candidate to walk in the door. Campus recruiting efforts have drastically increased, which has allowed the office to have a true starting class in the fall. The partners have brought the leadership and structure that this office had so desperately needed. The office went from having no social events to having monthly happy hours, multiple charity fundraisers, a very nice holiday and end of busy season party, and much more. The firm has invested a generous amount of time and money into this office and the employees have both noticed and appreciated this effort. The staff level employees are friends in and out of work and have contributed to the friendly culture in the Atlanta office. The Atlanta office has a small office feel with all of the resources of a large national firm. The partners are easily accessible, have an open door policy and are always open to comments and suggestions.

This office is expected to double, even triple in size over the next few years. For that reason, this office is a great source of opportunity for the young professional, especially those with an entrepreneurial mindset.

I can truly say that I am completely happy with the direction I see this office going. I am excited to be a part of this office as it grows and to be able to get in on the ground floor.

Cons

--This office is new, which means that all of our clients are fairly new. This can be a source of frustration that will work itself out as we revisit these clients year over year.

--The office staff can sometimes feel overloaded due to the small size of the audit and tax teams. This has continued to get better over time thanks to the addition of more experienced hires and internal transfers (which the firms is aggressively persuing).

--The Atlanta office shares HR, scheduling, recruiting and report processing with other offices because we are not yet large enough to house those functions in this office. This can cause headaches during the day to day but will hopefully be alleviated once the office is large enough to house their own HR, scheduler, recruiter and report processor.

Keep up the change and continue to recognize your people. We, as employees, have appreciated the efforts made by senior management and partners to recognize employees and make sure that each employee is happy and feels appreciated.

Worked for McGladrey LLP? Contribute to the Community!