McGladrey LLP

Updated 15 December 2014
3.6

McGladrey LLP Managing Partner & CEO Joe Adams
Joe Adams

Pros
  • Work life balance" are three words that get mid size recruiters bark at all time (in 50 reviews)

• While it isn't the Big 4, they pay you a decent amount in salary (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • or there was nothing to do; minimal work-life balance (in 38 reviews)

• Quite often, I felt like I was pledging a fraternity, not working for a major public accounting firm (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to begin career

Current Employee - Consultng Associate in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultng Associate in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Exposure to many types of projects

Cons

Extremely high expectations and responsibility for first years

Improved Performance Review process

Couldn't be happier

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time

Pros

The firm has great values and they truly believe in them and promote them from the top down. For instance, the value of stewardship is lived up to through various volunteer opportunities and firm sponsored events. The firm does do a good job promoting work life balance and in my experience really cares about their employees. For being the fifth largest firm, the firm does a great job of giving employees meaningful client experiences from day 1, and employees will get experiences and responsibilities they would not get at Big 4. Compensation increases are fair and sometimes very high with bonuses. There are a lot of training opportunities and other great opportunities for those who want them.

Cons

It is public accounting, and there will sometimes be long hours. The flip side of that is that when it is not busy, you are encouraged to go on vacation and take time for yourself.

Good Starting Block

Current Employee - Tax
    Current Employee - Tax

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time

Pros

Wide range of work within taxation. Certain managers are great others are not. Overall a positive place to start your career.

Cons

All of the work is prepared in house so work becomes repetitive and boring after awhile.

source more repetitive tasks and preparation.

Accounting intern

I worked at McGladrey LLP

Pros

Great people, firm encourages individual growth.

Cons

Long hours, but people are great to work with.

Great culture

Nothing special

Former Employee - Senior Technology Consultant in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Technology Consultant in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Standard corporate consulting firm, you'll get some good experience to land a job somewhere else.

Cons

Very little employee engagement, limited growth opportunities, too much focus on billable goals.

Disorganized

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at McGladrey LLP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Looks great on your resume to have such a big company that you have worked for. I know it will possibly be the help I need for future job choices. I get no benefits, had minimum training, and because "i'm still in college" I do not qualify. I would only take a job here if you are offered a permenate possition when you are starting.

Cons

I have had minimum training on my work and I am treated as if I dont know how to do my own job even though I have worked hard to learn everything I needed to know. I do not get any benefits from the company because I am a full-time temp employee, even though i have been here for over a year. I was told that when i graduate college we would "discuss" the possibility of becoming a permenate employee, but there is someone who has graduated in May and he has yet to even recieve a raise and he was promised a permenate possition the 4 years he has been working here. I would only recommend this company if you are planning to find some other form of employment but just need a job to pay the bills.

The management needs to learn how to be proper manager. They all need to go back to school to learn how to actually be leaders of the company. The manager over me constantly takes his frustration with the company out on those who are unfortunite enough to work under him. There is a MAJOR issue of favoritism here.

My experience at Mcgladrey was great for a contract job.

I worked at McGladrey LLP

Pros

The best values of working at mcgladrey was getting a inside look on how everyone operates in the firm and gaining the experience.

Cons

No Balance even as a contract worker, during tax season i was working 12hr shifts everyday slaving and doing what tax associates should be doing. The talent acquisitions like to recruit outside the firm before they even think about refering a intern or some one thats under contract.

accommodate more interns and contract workers with postions.

Great experience but long hours and travel.

Former Employee - Risk Advisory
    Former Employee - Risk Advisory

I worked at McGladrey LLP as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

great resume builder. Pubic accounting firm experience is highly sought after in the job markets

Cons

work life balance and travel

Assurance Associate

Former Employee - Assurance Associate in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Assurance Associate in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Learning opportunities, knowing your trajectory, a handful of good people who care about you and your career

Cons

It's public accounting, now matter how they try to differentiate themselves from the Big 4. Long hours, miserable people, and sometimes you're stuck with horrible teams. Because you start in a 'class,' it can sometimes be high school with the cliques, gossip and drama. If you don't fit into the mold, it can be rough.

Hire more seniors so that they can focus on developing staff. Make it worthwhile to stay there.

Learned a lot, but advancement was limited/blocked.

Former Employee - Tax Director
    Former Employee - Tax Director

I worked at McGladrey LLP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good flexibility. Dynamic group. Good marketplace recognition. People in my office group were very friendly. National level talent in technical areas.

Cons

Promotion opportunity was limited and seemed like a moving target. Compensation was at least 25% below market. It may have been close when I started but was not accelerated as quickly as the market. I left for a 35% increase. It bothered me that the company could get rid of partners with 25-30 years with the firm so readily.

Don't lose track of market value for people who have been with the firm. You will have to replace them at market, why not keep the ones you rate well in performance reviews?