McKee Foods Reviews

Updated 14 April 2015
30 reviews filtered by
3.3
Mike McKee

1. Good place to work considering today's options.

Former Employee - Packaging Technician in Collegedale, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Packaging Technician in Collegedale, TN (US)

I worked at McKee Foods

Pros

Yearly bonus, easy job once you are trained, can move up fairly easy if you want.

Cons

Inattentive supervision, lots of gossip and back-stabbing, lots of ways to get hurt if you are not careful.

Advice to Management

Reward the employees that actually work and get rid of the lazy ones. Watch the floor and see who is really working.

2. independent distributor

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at McKee Foods as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

Set your on work schedule to a degree.

Cons

no vacation, retirement, health ,insurance, no benefits ..once you start making good money the company cut your area and starves you to death while treating you just like you are an employee

Advice to Management

quit treating sub contractors like employees before you end up in a major lawsuit

3. Poor Management, Human Resources, and Benefits

Former Employee - Office Worker in Collegedale, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Office Worker in Collegedale, TN (US)

I worked at McKee Foods full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you a man - you will go far, if you a woman, just go somewhere else RIGHT NOW!

Cons

People could only get promoted if they were sleeping with someone, completely stupid, or just totally unethical. If your family oriented, and not willing to dedicate your life to your job instead of your family, then I suggest you just pass this place over. When taking PTO they want to know why....IT"S NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS!! I was salaried and I was getting texted all the time on my days off. My boss was totally not skilled, knowledgeable, or even motivated to do his job....therefore everyone else had to carry his weight on top of their everyday activities. He was arrested multiple times, and still received pay increases for his work, while the rest of us suffered with no decent increase.

Advice to Management

Fire all the old guys sitting in place waiting for retirement that refuse to actually work on moving the company forward in the right direction, and maybe you would finally see that rocket ride. LOL! Hold your managers to the same high standards they expect of their employees.....old management is not skilled in current and latest technologies. Half you time at work is spent teaching them, and them getting frustrated at you for actually knowing what your doing.....believe me if your stupid and into extra marital affairs - PLEASE GO PUT IN FOR A JOB!

5. Dissatisfied

Former Employee - Packaging Technician
    Former Employee - Packaging Technician

I worked at McKee Foods

Pros

Pay and work schedule was ok.

Cons

Wear steel-toed shoes for the eight hours of work. Work on concrete floor with no mats. Go up concrete steps to break area. Heavy lifting. Disastrous mess when machines backed-up.

6. Used to love it, now I hate it

I have been working at McKee Foods full-time

Pros

Weekends off, lot of paid time off

Cons

Have become more pushy, used to be family friendly. Now it seems they don't care about us.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the current operating system. It adds constant stress to our lives. What used to be something I loved is now just a job, and one that I hate. So many are quitting. This needs to be addressed and we need to know why this is happening.

7. Bad company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Collegedale, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Collegedale, TN (US)

I have been working at McKee Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Gets me out of the house.

Cons

Too many lazy useless people. No team work! Benefits suck! No vacation or sick time just PTO. When you use PTO you still get an attendance point.

Advice to Management

Should offer vacation time and sick time. If a person had PTO and calls in no point should be given.

8. Independent distributors treated as employees without the benefits.

Current Contractor - Independent Distributor
    Current Contractor - Independent Distributor

I have been working at McKee Foods as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

There were many in years past. None to speak of now

Cons

Company lets you assume all the risks of running your own business yet treats you like an employee. McKee foods strongly suggests increasing your expenses to fit their goals with little or no increase to distributors profitability. Though they hide behind a "moral code" and the face of a cute little girl, greed is the only thing that seems to drive them.

Advice to Management

Either allow distributors to make their own business decisions or provide relief for stale product and give benefits. I believe you are walking a thin line between sub contractor and employee

9. Always learning new ways to sell

Current Employee - District Sales Representative

I have been working at McKee Foods full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, company vehicle, excellent sales force and always support from the bakery

Cons

Distribution system sometimes can hurt our business with negative distributors. Profitability can be low for the independent distributors because company makes us put on new locations every year

Advice to Management

Listen to your sales reps

10. Not what it used to be.

Current Employee - Process Operator in Collegedale, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Process Operator in Collegedale, TN (US)

I have been working at McKee Foods full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay. Some decent people. Some training available. Room to climb up the ladder if you feel like working for it.

Cons

I'm a 3rd generation employee, and it just seems like the company is no where near as good as it used to be. The upper management knows nothing about what's going on. Health benefits aren't as great as other companies and are expensive for the coverage offered. People who work for raises/promotions typically don't get them, people that know someone important typically slide in the position. Very few team players on the production level.

Advice to Management

Run the company like the small, family business mind set it started out with and pay more attention to your employees. Work on employee moral and getting employees to work as a team.

11. fun

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at McKee Foods as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

didn't have any promotions

Cons

most of the supervisors will not listen to you and others will make up things to get ahead