McKesson

McKesson Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

McKesson Chairman, President, and CEO John H. Hammergren

John H. Hammergren

Pros
  • They also support a work-life balance and provided flexibility for family/personal life (in 42 reviews)

• Very flexible and will allow you to work from home several days a week (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay, Work-life balance can be tough to achieve if you are a salaried employee (in 22 reviews)

• Upper management limits middle management from creating a functional work environment (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Hardworking people in a predictable yet technically challenging environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsCurrently transitioning from startup to established business with deeper pockets due to buyout from McKesson. Leadership is willing to tackle the tough issues and fund additional resources as deemed necessary. Always willing to listen to ideas on how to better improve processes and product.

ConsSome organizational inertia is present due to the sudden increase in company size. Due to rapid expansion of the customer base some of the "house cleaning" type of tasks are suddenly becoming more important after having been neglected for some time.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a roadmap and stick to it. Start tracking metrics that allow the lower level employees to know what they are contributing to the overall business (scorecards that track installs, defects, % contribution to business, etc.).

Typical large corporate environment

Interface Analyst (Former Employee)

Pros- The pay was good for the position.
    - Decent benefits.
    - Some flexibility with dress code and office hours.
    - Friendly atmosphere

Cons- Due to the size of this organization, its easy to feel "lost" or disconnected from what is going on overall.

Mckesson Review

Help Desk (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGreat place to work and training was very good. Teamwork and work environment was very good.

ConsCompany slow to promote from within. Employee recognition for hard work sometimes lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a bit more involved with your employees and recognize their efforts

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mckesson

Help Desk (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGood work culture. Teamwork good and work environment was very good

ConsManagment does not always recognize the hardest workers for their efforts.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare feedback with your employees more often on how well they are doing on the job and commend those that work hardest.

McKesson - Software

Territory Vice President (Former Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsPersonal growth was great at McKesson. I came in an individual contributor and presented some ideas as within a few months was managing those ideas. Went from a sales rep to VP of Regional sales in 4 years. Each Business unit is like a little business so while a very large company you act and work as lots of small companies (good and bad). Work life balance was pretty good, in sales you travel and the more you work generally the more you make so it wasn't a 40hr a week job but no complaints.

ConsBig company red tape was always an issue. Lack of ownership on customer issues was huge, it was almost always the fault of another Business Unit. While they are working on fixing this it is a major issue. You have benefit of large corporation behind you but that leads to very little innovation your business has to successful/profitable so you can't flex with business or technology changes. Every April/May (new FY) they go through lay-offs and business changes... seems like they don't plan very well.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to be flexible and proactive with customers... the business model from 5+ years ago just isn't working today as seen my the massive lose of customer and reduction in KLAS scores. Overall, a good place to work but they seem to have lost touch with their customers.

Working at McKesson was a trying yet rewarding experience.

Material Handler (Former Employee) Duluth, GA (US)

ProsThe pay is good. Employee benefits from everything such as health insurance to Roth ira to stock purchase are great. Room for growth in the company and just knowing that your job saves lives is an excellent feeling.

ConsSometimes the people that you work with can be a bit on the negative side and tend to act extremely childish at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage work your employees.

Great experience. Great managers. Great growth potential.

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Nashville, TN (US)

ProsGreat compensation and benefits. Great managers. There's lots of growth potential and opportunity within the company. I enjoyed working for such a reputable company with so much opportunity across the country and world. I was happy with my pay and felt that they payed more than other companies for comparable positions.

ConsAs with any huge company, there's a certain amount of bureaucracy you have to deal with.

Good employee

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Livonia, MI (US)

ProsPlenty of opportunity, great vacation time offerings, solid reputation

ConsShould have better prescription coverage since largest drug wholesaler, lacking in career development follow through

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen internal applicants are not hired, counseling as to why not and how to improve should be given

overall good

Proswell paid, good benifits, good bonus and satisfied raise

Consnight shifts, less opportunity for moving on days for salary people

McKesson

Management (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

Prosvery good employee training and benefits

Consliving in different cities than management teams

Advice to Senior Managementbe more open about changes

Worked for McKesson? Contribute to the Community!