MedImmune

Updated Mar 30, 2014

MedImmune President Bahija Jallal

Bahija Jallal

71 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very good company to work

Associate Scientist II (Current Employee)

I have been working at MedImmune full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSolid science and open culture

ConsVery hard to get promotion

Disappointing Company

Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee)
Gaithersburg, MD (US)

I worked at MedImmune as a contractor for more than a year

ProsDecent salary for a contractor.

ConsOffice culture is bad with gossip and office politics. Hires from the outside instead of hiring the contractors. Middle management is not good..poor communication. Contractors are treated like second-class citizens.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid the lazy employees and hire the hard-working contractors.

Progessive company and management

Senior Director IT (Former Employee)

I worked at MedImmune for more than 5 years

ProsThe CIO really wanted to make positive changes

ConsThe downside was the confusion of working under AZ's shadow.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide how Medimmune will be managed and stick with it.

A company with no standard and fairness

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at MedImmune full-time

ProsThe benefits and bonus are not bad for the past few years. The gym is pretty good if you use it.

ConsThere is no cross board standard within company, within department. The head of the department is the king. Whatever policy or working standard can be override by the king.
Promotion is a mess, only based on whether you are the favorite of the boss. No fairness at all, even relatively. Boss likes you, he can hire somebody for you even you work part time with a bachelor's degree. If boss does not like you, even you have 10 years of experience with a Ph.D. degree, you are on you own.

Salary is below industry average.

HR really sucks. No respect to employees. They can promise you something when you are hired and later on would not honor it. So be careful, make sure everything is on paper.

Advice to Senior ManagementMoral is so low but I guess management does not really care. There is employee survey every year but the concerns from employees are the same every year.

Lost in transition

Associate Scientist I (Current Employee)

I have been working at MedImmune full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPays well, nice, improving campus, trying to make work/life balance better

ConsCompany is still transitioning including leadership who are out of touch with their employees and are throwing money at trying to change the culture

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to work to build a better culture by hiring the right people and better connecting with your employees

Good pay, good people, value advanced degrees

Intern (Former Employee)
Gaithersburg, MD (US)

I worked at MedImmune as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat office building, interesting company, good perks of being an employee. I had a good experience with my manager and group.

ConsHard to go anywhere without an advanced degree. There are a lot of levels of middle management. There is a lot of time spent on meetings.

One Medimmune Way

Associate Scientist II (Current Employee)
Gaithersburg, MD (US)

I have been working at MedImmune full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat company with smart, motivated people. Company on the upswing and serious about its mission.

ConsMaryland. Maryland is not for people that enjoy freedom of movement. Its small, urbanized environment (with speed cams, stop cams, traffic cams) can be confining to folks that like wide open areas and don't like the idea of "big brother". Also, the cost of living, especially housing, is ridiculously high.

It's who you know...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at MedImmune full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStrong, profitable organization with great benefits and beautiful headquarters.

ConsManagement from imploding AZ HQ brought in to ruin the MedImmune culture. Organization is top heavy, and there's lots of place to hid.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf your team members have been at the company for more than 10 or 12 years, then they are most likely riding a wave that will crash, like Delaware did. So where are the fresh, great innovators you said you wanted to lead, to really lead, the company to new levels of discovery and commercialization? Go and find them...

Same old thing- nothing will every change

Associate Scientist I (Current Employee)

I have been working at MedImmune full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFriendly work environment & majority of the people are great to work with

Consa lot of people work here think they are entitled to whatever just because they have been here a long time and promotions do not make any sense` the people who should be promoted and do all the work are overlooked and the ones who do nothing and do every little thing the boss wants get promoted

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair across the board with promotions and be open and honest and "transparent" as you claim you are

It would take a lot for me to leave this company.

Research Associate II (Current Employee)

I have been working at MedImmune full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood salary and benefits. The biotech culture is alive. Happy hours, off hour functions, and a real sense of family are some of the things you notice that make MedImmune stand out from other companies.

ConsSome of the management isnt the strongest. Its very hard to get into MedI but once you get in, its also hard to get people out. It seems like with all the potential out in the workforce, MedI holds on to some people who may not be worth holding on to.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote based on performance, fire based on performance.

Worked for MedImmune? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MedImmune reviews and ratings in Gaithersburg, MD — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MedImmune CEO Bahija Jallal. All 71 reviews posted anonymously by MedImmune employees.