Media General

Be The First To
Add Photos

Media General President, CEO, and Director Marshall N. Morton

Marshall N. Morton

Pros:
  • "good pay and benefits, flexible schedules"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Everyone works hard to meet the common goal of a meaningful daily newspaper"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Crying out to upper management for help produced no results"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Still a newspaper, old school mindset to doing business that has been dead for at least 15 years"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

great field

Media (Current Employee)
Pune

I have been working at Media General full-time for more than a year

Prosgood experiance in media field

Consnothing downside in media fieldq

Advice to Senior Managementno i m not intrested

Good products terrible senior management

Broadcast and Interactive Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Myrtle Beach, SC (US)

I worked at Media General full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWorked mostly on broadcast television and online side in sales as both an AE then management and they have valuable advertising products. They also value their clients and focus on service is good at the local level

ConsStill a newspaper, old school mindset to doing business that has been dead for at least 15 years. Too much old guard in decision making roles

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in identifying and developing your local and general sales managers. As these people go so go your sales revenue. Additionally break down the walls between on air, creative, engineering and sales, crazy how little we were allowed to collaborate inter department.

Account Executive

Account Executive (Former Employee)
Lake Norman of Catawba, NC (US)

I worked at Media General full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people. Good pay. Very good management. Loved working there. Wish I was still working there.

ConsIn sales the down side is always missing goals. But, the goals were pretty fair.

Advice to Senior ManagementHappy with management

I worked at a station under Media General.

Business Department (Former Employee)

I worked at Media General full-time for more than a year

ProsThey usually would let employees leave a little early the day before holidays, pretty good pay, great insurance, and pretty good paid time off.

ConsThe biggest con is the management at the station level. Crying out to upper management for help produced no results. Management needs to be firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. The reason many are leaving is due to management. Hello! Why would employees be looking for other jobs! Please, MG, look in the mirror.

Career employee that left after seeing the same old mistakes and don't care attitude by Mgmt.

Engineering (Former Employee)
Savannah, GA (US)

I worked at Media General full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSome of the stations did let their employees go early on holidays and had station parties.

Conspay is not the best, the management is terrible ( good old boys network alive and well ), people who were in tight with "movers and shakers" got key jobs that otherwise would never get even considered, lots of pressure to "produce" and watching consultants parade in and out of the stations giving them the same tired and unproductive advice and walking out with LOADS of cash

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit worrying about YOUR pockets and start worrying about your employee's pockets. You worry about cost, yet your poor pay and conditions force employees to leave. You then hire a new person and they make mistakes and errors in learning that cost you MONEY.

Bait and switch

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Media General

ProsGood ratings in the industry, fair benefits

ConsThey have a great "pitch" to get you on board. Beware of the details they don't share. Be sure to ask how many people are there this year versus last year. Management style is from the '50's. The "boys club" reigns and double standard is rampant: men vs women. The exception is the female senior manager that has even the rank and file quaking in their boots; just because she can. They have absolutely no sense of customer service either. Digital journalists are hired and fired with not even 90 days to prove themselves. They do not have a progressive disciplinary policy; no warnings, just " they are gone" with little or no reason.
Absolutely without doubt, the most inefficient, poorly managed operation I have ever encountered.

Advice to Senior ManagementI can't begin to give advice. My advice to applicants regardless of job function is look elsewhere.

Ok Place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Media General full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat boss to work for, promoted several times. Was able to work with the growing digital group.

ConsDownsizing, good ole boys (promote those who aren't qualified to find a space for them. Few female leaders. Terrible CEO

Advice to Senior ManagementTook too long to realize and make needed changes.

Good the bad and the ugly

Sales Assistant (Current Employee)
Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Media General full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe pay is ok, and they have air conditioning inside.

ConsIn sales you will be surrounded by snakes, more everyone will smile in your face and then bite you in the ass if you let your guard down. Also It is one of the places that when you start and a assistant then you will stay as one. The only way to move around to something new here is to leave.

Locked in the movie "ground hog day"

Sales (Former Employee)
Spartanburg, SC (US)

I worked at Media General full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHealth insurance, that's about it!

ConsCompanies lack of desire to move forward with the 21st century. Inability to have freedom to be creative with ads as client desires

Still too many self-interested middle managers counting till retirement. Incapable managers remain.

Web Developer (Former Employee)
Richmond, VA (US)

I worked at Media General part-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood place to learn for a short time, work on your skills and try to numb yourself to inevitable M.T. Suits which remain after new owners.

ConsCompany has such a history of mismanagement and indifference to employees that any manager with 10+ years would have to be removed and that isn't likely. Not a single word from any company rep or source could be trusted. Every encounter with management forced one into a defensive position -management very confrontational. Exhausting micro-management.

Advice to Senior ManagementUntil old management has reached their retirement or been ousted, little positive change can occur unless forced upon them by new owners.

Worked for Media General? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Media General reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Media General CEO Marshall N. Morton. All 50 reviews are posted anonymously by Media General employees.