MediaMath

Updated 26 January 2015
4.6

MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki
Joe Zawadzki

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance - Working hours are less than most other places (9-5 with an hour for lunch) (in 9 reviews)

• MediaMath hires really smart people and challenges them every day (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Since the company is growing and has a limited amount of space, desk sizes are somewhat tiny (in 7 reviews)

• Definitely fast paced and a lot to constantly keep up with - but that's the whole industry, really (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic environment and perfect place to develop

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (more than a year)

Pros

From the first interview I had with MediaMath, I instantly felt a warmth and passion from the people who I spoke with and all of them offered me a different insight into the company but all offering the same passion and enthusiasm for the brand and culture and values of MediaMath. The HR team were very warm and made sure I was completely comfortable with my set up and would go out of their way for any requirements I had, which is very rare.

MediaMath understands what is important for the company and also understand what is important for their staff. From the cool quirky offices, to non stop offering of soft drinks, sweets, alcohol (when we are good), takeaways every Friday, arcade machine, massages every other week and various company social events, MediaMath give you the working environment which makes work seem that little less stressful and also more fun. With this said, MediaMath understand the important of culture and if they don't think you will fit into the team or culture, no matter how good you are - they will not risk upsetting this perfect culture and will not bring you in!

In regards to your career, MediaMath instantly talk to you about the importance of your career progression and getting you to the next level. They offer a genuine sense of wanting to develop their staff and have everyone get to the next level. Goals will be set for you to meet and you will not be left to meet them alone but instead guided by your team and also others around you, again emphasising the qualities of the culture within MediaMath.

Cons

None I can think of!

Keep up the good work!

Top company with top talent

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at MediaMath

Pros

Mediamath hires smart, hard working individuals. It's very easy to find your niche and get your job done. I've never worked at a company with such effective teams. The leaders of the company have an open door policy and even when they're busy they'll take time to hear your ideas and tell you about their goals.
    The culture is accepting and comfortable. People work hard here, but taking care of yourself (sick leave and annual leave) are both integral parts of your life-work balance.

Cons

We are currently very tight on space (thanks to growing so quickly!) so you have to allot for walking between offices to collaborate and/or schedule meetings in different places. That will be solved when we move into a larger space later this year though.

Great Company!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at MediaMath as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Smart management compromised of experienced AdTech execs
    Nice colleagues
    Fast pace, collaborative work environment
    Strong focus on technology, innovation and bottom line results

Cons

Must enjoy adapting to change, working in ambiguity
    Typical growing pains of a company with rapid growth

Continue to drive innovation in the industry
    Reinforce the positioning that sets the company apart from its competitors
    Create opportunities for internal growth for employees

What I've seen so far

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (less than a year)

Pros

DEPT: the team that I work with is comprised of extremely friendly people, who are always willing to help you any problems that you might encounter!
    CULTURE: a fun environment, with a lot of growth opportunity, and chances to take ownership of projects. Great deal of flexibility!
    BENEFITS: A wide array of policies that are used to promote overall satisfaction such as PTO(basically unlimited), phone reimbursements, stock options, and snacks!
    Weekly announcements allow employees to learn about what's going on in different departments and promotes overall transparency.

Cons

DEPT: subgroups in the department can sometimes feel a bit separated.
    CULTURE: Because of the various locations, you don't get to meet or interact with everyone you normally would, can feel slightly distanced because of that.
    BENEFITS: your other perks, such as your gym membership could be better.
    CAREER DEV: this aspect seems to be slightly lacking, while MM has a great training function which allows its employees to learn about its platform and other things, there don't seem to be much job specific training to allow you to either learn more about your field.

Continue investing in your people, although not everyone feels that they're getting paid as much as they should, you should make it known that along with the fairly competitive pay, they are also receiving benefits which can be turned into huge sums later on!

Smart People, Smart Company, Smart Growth

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As a vet of the ad tech industry, I have seen some pretty bad times in the start-up world. MediaMath is a reprieve from all that. The management is smart, the employees are dedicated, and there is a lot of cultural benefits to be had. Managers are dedicated to finding what employees are really good at and make a real effort to cultivate those positives.

Cons

In New York, the company is expanding so rapidly that we have three offices, so it can be a challenge getting face-to-face time with other employees even if they are in the same city as you. But that will be fixed next year, thankfully.

Keep on doing what you're doing!

Internship

Former Employee - UI Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - UI Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at MediaMath as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, relaxed work flow, great work environment.

Cons

Not much that i didnt like.
    Just that there is construction going on in the building.

MediaMath is a very special place to learn and grow fast.

Current Employee - Operations in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Operations in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Amazingly smart, fun, kind, and driven team. MediaMath has gone from an idea to a global player in seven years. The boldness of the team, a kind of high level of confidence without any arrogance, is the secret sauce I think. It's very easy to imagine our MarketingOS being the platform through which the Marketing function gets done around the globe by 2020. Nobody here seems to doubt it for a minute! The senior leaders being off-the-charts brilliant helps.

Cons

We move so fast (sometimes dizzyingly) that I always fear there's a risk we'll take a wrong turn. But so far so good. The culture of constructive debate is high so don't be under any illusions that a fancy title will make your ideas sacred in any way here. Ramping quickly is a must in order to thrive.

Don't mess up the good thing you've got going!

Best environment I've experienced by far

Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone has an equity stake and I don't know if that's the secret sauce that makes everyone so aligned and the politics so low - but everyone is super-aligned on the vision of revolutionizing marketing and there's hardly any politics. It's a true meritocracy as far as I can see in terms of the biggest contributors getting the quickest advancement. MediaMath's also big on training - NMI and Marketing Engineering Program are industry-leading.

Cons

The work-life balance isn't always great. Don't think you can beat Google without some long hours!

The core culture is strong and should be celebrated and reinforced but at 550 employees now - we'll have to celebrate sub-cultures in departments and geos away from the NYC/Engineering heart of the company.

Fast paced, highly motivating with awesome opportunities

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (more than a year)

Pros

From my interviews (2 years ago) to now I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute. HR made me feel very welcome and helped me feel at ease coming into a potentially daunting environment (having never worked in Media before).

I have also had the opportunity to work with a number of other teams (NMI, OPEN, Engineering, PS etc) both UK and US based who have all been very professional and a joy to work with.

The office environment is fun to be a part of - who can argue with an arcade machine, vending machine and endless sweets / chocolate?

I enjoy the fast paced nature of the Media Industry and being on the edge of integrating with new technologies.

Cons

I would have said the on-boarding process as it can be daunting if you haven't worked in Media before. However, MediaMath have recognised this and have really focused their attention on improving this for new joiners.