MediaMath

Updated 8 November 2014
4.5

MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki
Joe Zawadzki

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance - Working hours are less than most other places (9-5 with an hour for lunch) (in 9 reviews)

• MediaMath hires really smart people and challenges them every day (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing extremely fast, larger facilities will eventually be needed (in 9 reviews)

• Definitely fast paced and a lot to constantly keep up with - but that's the whole industry, really (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Internship

Former Employee - UI Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - UI Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at MediaMath as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work, relaxed work flow, great work environment.

Cons

Not much that i didnt like.
    Just that there is construction going on in the building.

Smart People, Smart Company, Smart Growth

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a vet of the ad tech industry, I have seen some pretty bad times in the start-up world. MediaMath is a reprieve from all that. The management is smart, the employees are dedicated, and there is a lot of cultural benefits to be had. Managers are dedicated to finding what employees are really good at and make a real effort to cultivate those positives.

Cons

In New York, the company is expanding so rapidly that we have three offices, so it can be a challenge getting face-to-face time with other employees even if they are in the same city as you. But that will be fixed next year, thankfully.

Keep on doing what you're doing!

MediaMath is a very special place to learn and grow fast.

Current Employee - Operations in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Operations in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazingly smart, fun, kind, and driven team. MediaMath has gone from an idea to a global player in seven years. The boldness of the team, a kind of high level of confidence without any arrogance, is the secret sauce I think. It's very easy to imagine our MarketingOS being the platform through which the Marketing function gets done around the globe by 2020. Nobody here seems to doubt it for a minute! The senior leaders being off-the-charts brilliant helps.

Cons

We move so fast (sometimes dizzyingly) that I always fear there's a risk we'll take a wrong turn. But so far so good. The culture of constructive debate is high so don't be under any illusions that a fancy title will make your ideas sacred in any way here. Ramping quickly is a must in order to thrive.

Don't mess up the good thing you've got going!

Best environment I've experienced by far

Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone has an equity stake and I don't know if that's the secret sauce that makes everyone so aligned and the politics so low - but everyone is super-aligned on the vision of revolutionizing marketing and there's hardly any politics. It's a true meritocracy as far as I can see in terms of the biggest contributors getting the quickest advancement. MediaMath's also big on training - NMI and Marketing Engineering Program are industry-leading.

Cons

The work-life balance isn't always great. Don't think you can beat Google without some long hours!

The core culture is strong and should be celebrated and reinforced but at 550 employees now - we'll have to celebrate sub-cultures in departments and geos away from the NYC/Engineering heart of the company.

Great place that encourages innovation with little to no red tape!

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very collaborative environment with the encouragement to innovate with little to no red tape, which is great for those interested in building and improving processes. If you're the type to help a company during the growth stages this is the place to be!

Lots of office perks: Snacks, Massages, Manicures, Monthly Birthday Celebrations - You can't complain!

Personal growth is absolutely possible here and it is a company wide initiative to ensure all employees get to where they want to be in their career.

Cons

Naturally since we are growing so quickly, changes are constantly happening. One would have to be easily roll with the punches and adapt to stay on top of our evolving company and industry! Not a con for me but can be for some.

Management is pretty on par. Exec team has strong, smart, even genius leadership, who also know how to have fun.

Fast paced, highly motivating with awesome opportunities

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (more than an year)

Pros

From my interviews (2 years ago) to now I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute. HR made me feel very welcome and helped me feel at ease coming into a potentially daunting environment (having never worked in Media before).

I have also had the opportunity to work with a number of other teams (NMI, OPEN, Engineering, PS etc) both UK and US based who have all been very professional and a joy to work with.

The office environment is fun to be a part of - who can argue with an arcade machine, vending machine and endless sweets / chocolate?

I enjoy the fast paced nature of the Media Industry and being on the edge of integrating with new technologies.

Cons

I would have said the on-boarding process as it can be daunting if you haven't worked in Media before. However, MediaMath have recognised this and have really focused their attention on improving this for new joiners.

Fast-paced and amazing environment

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great perks and brilliant environment for personal growth. The company is very well known in the space and allows you learn and develop constantly. The colleagues are very dedicated and knowledgeable.

Cons

Nothing I can think of so far.

Excellent place to work

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work life balance, friendly team, innovative training program in development, company growth, values, caring employers - and fantastic perks!

Cons

Office space is becoming limited but not a major issue. A clear policy for time off for medical reasons would be beneficial as I have had issues here.

Love my job and working for this company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

Pros

- My colleagues at MediaMath aren't just very smart. They're also very cool, friendly pleasures to work with. I feel lucky to work among such spirited individuals every day. This morale undoubtably trickles down from upper management; the C-level execs are the same way.
    - I feel challenged in my role every day (in a good way). The company is expanding fast, and therefore so are the scopes of our jobs. Never a dull moment. It's undoubtably an exciting time to be in AdTech.
    - New hire on-boarding and training impressed my from my first day on the job.
    - Benefits are great. Loads of food in the office, partially paid phone bill, 401K match, fun office culture.

Cons

I'm at a loss for words.

Keep up the good work.

Mostly positive experience working here but not without its flaws

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bright, talented, and motivated employees. You will learn a lot from the other people who work here if you make the effort to do so. It's generally easy to make things happen with little in the way of bureaucracy and to make your voice heard by your manager or your colleagues. Flexible working hours and what ultimately matters is getting the job done. Unlimited paid time off is nice in theory although I haven't made much use of it in practice. Free weekly massages are awesome. Abundant free food and beverages. Fun social events and many other efforts to integrate employees into company life.

Cons

Compensation is the biggest concern as it is below that of competitors in the industry and certainly below average in the broader technology sector. The culture and working environment is so positive that the consequences on employee attrition have been pretty minimal, but it has been and will continue to be an issue. Not all employees embody the collaborative spirit that we aspire to and can be difficult to work with or completely non-responsive.
    I know of at least one employee who is a poor performer and not well-regarded by peers who has worked here for a long time and received promotions purely through their personal relationships with senior management.
    For my functional role here, my learning curve has flattened considerably since earlier in my time here and it's unclear what are my career development prospects if I stay with my current group.

Spend more time paying attention to employee concerns around compensation and benefits. Paying below market is better for the company's bottom line but you will be losing good people in the long run if it doesn't change. Figure out who contributes to the company's goals and reward them, figure out who adds no value or is actively detrimental and put them on notice or get rid of them.