MediaMath

Updated 8 August 2014

4.4

MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki
Joe Zawadzki

Pros
  • MediaMath hires really smart people and challenges them every day (in 9 reviews)

• Best work/life balance of any company I've worked for (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Since the company is growing and has a limited amount of space, desk sizes are somewhat tiny (in 9 reviews)

• We're short on conference rooms and desks, which is frustrating at times (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Couldn't Have Asked for a Better Experience

Current Employee - Graphic Design Intern  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Graphic Design Intern in New York, NY (US)

Pros

Fantastic People - from the leadership team to the interns, the people here are friendly, incredibly smart, and always willing to help.
    Absolutely incredible working environment - beautiful modern office, fully stocked kitchens, quality office equipment.
    Great work/life balance
    Dynamic & diverse teams
    Employee perks
    Business casual dress code

Overall, the corporate culture at MediaMath makes coming to work every day an absolute pleasure.

Cons

So far, I have not experienced anything that I would consider a con. Truly a phenomenal place to work.

Keep doing what you're doing. You have created a very special working environment that is reflected in the outstanding work your employees do on a daily basis.

Great place to work!

Pros

Smart, happy and engaged colleagues.
    Management truly listens to employees.
    Lots of collaboration across teams.

Cons

MediaMath has grown from a start-up to an international corporation. The benefits need to catch up (specifically 401K and health insurance.)

Challenging Job, Focused Environment, Smart and Fun Team

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Cambridge, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Cambridge, MA (US)

Pros

1. Healthy work/life balance.
    2. Focused goals and commit to achieving them.
    3. Great teams, we are really all in it together
    4. Supportive leadership

Cons

1. Painful teleconferencing software

Seriously - the worst thing that I can say is that I don't like the AV club! This place is great!

Do a better job thinking through the impact of the satellite offices trying to participate in things via teleconference. Open meeting space works great, until you are the one dialing into the meeting.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun, fast-paced environment filled with lots of opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Pros

This is one of the very few companies nowadays where you can see an immediate impact of your contributions. Everyone and everything moves very quickly and things actually get done. The company is growing every week and it's exciting to be part of that. It's no wonder the survey results show that people are proud to work here - everyone seem happy to be at work.

The hours are very flexible, with the motto of "get your job done" - it isn't about face-time as much as it is about getting things done quickly and efficiently. Everyone is really smart and is working towards a common goal. Collaboration is a huge part of the organization, so if you prefer to work alone all the time, this may not be the place for you. Additionally, you can easily grow and have lots of opportunity to grow, learn, and move within the company.

Perks - chair massages, manicures, snacks all the time, lunches many times, bagel fridays, lots of various events in every office, regardless if you're in Chicago, California, Cambridge, NY, or in other parts of the world. The company tries to do the same thing in every location so no one feels like they're not part of the org. They're also very family-friendly/family-oriented and have a wall of "MathBabies" which is really cute. There are bring-your-child to work days, with even little kids showing up.

Cons

Since the company has grown so quickly, there are some process that need to be put in place that may not have been necessary before, but that's being done.

If you're not prepared to work hard, and just want a 9-5 job, this place isn't for you.

Truly an amazing company to work for. Exciting and fast-growing!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Pros

MediaMath seems to be growing at an extremely fast pace, which is great for the company overall. The atmosphere at MediaMath is exciting. Everyone who works here is intelligent, hard working and collaborative. It is a great feeling to know you're working for a company that is number 1 in the industry. Very generous benefits and perks. The work-life balance is truly extraordinary.

Cons

Due to such rapid growth, larger facilities will eventually be necessary - but seems they've already planned ahead and figured it out!

Fast paced, exciting company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Pros

Incredibly smart people, really pushing for the best and changing the industry in so many ways. Work produced really feels like it is making a direct impact in the company and lots of positive and constructive feedback.

Cons

The pace is very fast, but that brings part of the excitement. Can be stressful, but after a long week it is great to look back at all that has been done.

Keep up the pace but continue to support staff with the fast growth of the company.

Expect the unexpected

Pros

The current space is tight as other people have mentioned but the new space is literally the best workspace I have ever worked in. Every detail was carefully thought out and optimized for the type of task work that my department handles frequently and I really couldn't be happier.

Sideways mobility is very real here. I've personally seen several people successfully switch roles and in some cases entire departments to great effect. This is the only company i have worked at that has really made this a successful reality and not something that looks good on paper.

Cons

comp is a bit below industry average, but is in many ways offset by sideways mobility that you cant find at most companies.

Unlimited PTO while it sounds awesome in practice can be challenging in the actual implementation as many people in the current working culture (not just this company) feel guilty about taking time to begin with.

Really great people and an exciting place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Pros

MediaMath hires really smart people and challenges them every day. We solve really hard problems and we are given a lot of freedom and encouragement to try new tools and technologies. Our technology stack this year is materially different than 18 months ago and 18 months prior to that. We are constantly challenging industry norms and our own in a good productive way.

People at mediamath really care about the company. They care about changing and industry and about doing it with people we consider friends. The team is full of genuinely good people.

The company is growing like crazy so its a wild ride, but we have a lot of fun at the same time. The management team does an excellent job listening to the employees and soliciting input about what we are doing right and where we can improve.

lots of company perks like cell phones, food, monthly parties, standing desks, big dual monitors, and bagel fridays

Cons

typical challenges of fast growing companies. constant change, frequent reorganizations, remaining focused on the top goals and simply scaling an organization to capture opportunities. These make the ride a bit bumpy but when you are all working for the same goal we recognize why its happening.

Keep focused on the goals, communicate them clearly and to drive them relentlessly. Keep up the great work!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Cambridge, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA (US)

Pros

People are smart and nice. Efficient and well-organized working processes. Free climate. Flexible working time. I live far so I'm allowed to work from home two days a week. And my working time on commuter trains are counted. Good compensation. Emails are only used for important announcements or system generated notifications. Most of communications are done via instance messaging in the chat room, which saves tons of time.

Cons

Not really. I'm really satisfied.

tons of responsibility & opportunity, great work/life balance

Current Employee - Sales/Marketing Side  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales/Marketing Side in New York, NY (US)

Pros

The pay is good, the unlimited paid time off policy is awesome.
    Best work/life balance of any company I've worked for. It's very family friendly, which really struck me when I interviewed. Tons of photos of "MediaMath babies" on the walls, and excitement around new moms and dads coming back from their mat/pat leave.
    Fun company parties like karaoke, world cup parties, that kind of thing.
    Expectations are really high, and there's lots of freedom (and expectation) that you'll figure out how to accomplish whatever tasks have been set out. It's great for personal growth that way.
    They take a very pro-active approach to employee feedback. There's a company-wide satisfaction survey every 6 months, and they not only share the results with everyone, but create real action plans around places of dissatisfaction. It's not ignored or hidden.

Cons

The office spaces in NYC are sufficient and usable, but nothing glamorous (at least not yet! will change when we get our new headquarters next spring!). Chicago is building out a new office, which will be gorgeous.
    The company is growing pretty fast, so there's the typical "who owns what / stepping on toes" dance that seems to always happen during times of fast growth.

Get a solid, mandatory onboarding program that includes all global offices. What you've got is a start, but it could be a differentiator.

Worked for MediaMath? Contribute to the Community!