MediaMath Reviews

Updated 30 October 2014
4.4

MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki
Joe Zawadzki

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance - Working hours are less than most other places (9-5 with an hour for lunch) (in 9 reviews)

• MediaMath hires really smart people and challenges them every day (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing extremely fast, larger facilities will eventually be needed (in 9 reviews)

• Definitely fast paced and a lot to constantly keep up with - but that's the whole industry, really (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Mostly positive experience working here but not without its flaws

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bright, talented, and motivated employees. You will learn a lot from the other people who work here if you make the effort to do so. It's generally easy to make things happen with little in the way of bureaucracy and to make your voice heard by your manager or your colleagues. Flexible working hours and what ultimately matters is getting the job done. Unlimited paid time off is nice in theory although I haven't made much use of it in practice. Free weekly massages are awesome. Abundant free food and beverages. Fun social events and many other efforts to integrate employees into company life.

Cons

Compensation is the biggest concern as it is below that of competitors in the industry and certainly below average in the broader technology sector. The culture and working environment is so positive that the consequences on employee attrition have been pretty minimal, but it has been and will continue to be an issue. Not all employees embody the collaborative spirit that we aspire to and can be difficult to work with or completely non-responsive.
    I know of at least one employee who is a poor performer and not well-regarded by peers who has worked here for a long time and received promotions purely through their personal relationships with senior management.
    For my functional role here, my learning curve has flattened considerably since earlier in my time here and it's unclear what are my career development prospects if I stay with my current group.

Spend more time paying attention to employee concerns around compensation and benefits. Paying below market is better for the company's bottom line but you will be losing good people in the long run if it doesn't change. Figure out who contributes to the company's goals and reward them, figure out who adds no value or is actively detrimental and put them on notice or get rid of them.

Fast paced, highly motivating with awesome opportunities

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (more than an year)

Pros

From my interviews (2 years ago) to now I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute. HR made me feel very welcome and helped me feel at ease coming into a potentially daunting environment (having never worked in Media before).

I have also had the opportunity to work with a number of other teams (NMI, OPEN, Engineering, PS etc) both UK and US based who have all been very professional and a joy to work with.

The office environment is fun to be a part of - who can argue with an arcade machine, vending machine and endless sweets / chocolate?

I enjoy the fast paced nature of the Media Industry and being on the edge of integrating with new technologies.

Cons

I would have said the on-boarding process as it can be daunting if you haven't worked in Media before. However, MediaMath have recognised this and have really focused their attention on improving this for new joiners.

Smart People, Smart Company, Smart Growth

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a vet of the ad tech industry, I have seen some pretty bad times in the start-up world. MediaMath is a reprieve from all that. The management is smart, the employees are dedicated, and there is a lot of cultural benefits to be had. Managers are dedicated to finding what employees are really good at and make a real effort to cultivate those positives.

Cons

In New York, the company is expanding so rapidly that we have three offices, so it can be a challenge getting face-to-face time with other employees even if they are in the same city as you. But that will be fixed next year, thankfully.

Keep on doing what you're doing!

Fast-paced and amazing environment

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great perks and brilliant environment for personal growth. The company is very well known in the space and allows you learn and develop constantly. The colleagues are very dedicated and knowledgeable.

Cons

Nothing I can think of so far.

Excellent place to work

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work life balance, friendly team, innovative training program in development, company growth, values, caring employers - and fantastic perks!

Cons

Office space is becoming limited but not a major issue. A clear policy for time off for medical reasons would be beneficial as I have had issues here.

Love my job and working for this company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

Pros

- My colleagues at MediaMath aren't just very smart. They're also very cool, friendly pleasures to work with. I feel lucky to work among such spirited individuals every day. This morale undoubtably trickles down from upper management; the C-level execs are the same way.
    - I feel challenged in my role every day (in a good way). The company is expanding fast, and therefore so are the scopes of our jobs. Never a dull moment. It's undoubtably an exciting time to be in AdTech.
    - New hire on-boarding and training impressed my from my first day on the job.
    - Benefits are great. Loads of food in the office, partially paid phone bill, 401K match, fun office culture.

Cons

I'm at a loss for words.

Keep up the good work.

Great place that encourages innovation with little to no red tape!

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very collaborative environment with the encouragement to innovate with little to no red tape, which is great for those interested in building and improving processes. If you're the type to help a company during the growth stages this is the place to be!

Lots of office perks: Snacks, Massages, Manicures, Monthly Birthday Celebrations - You can't complain!

Personal growth is absolutely possible here and it is a company wide initiative to ensure all employees get to where they want to be in their career.

Cons

Naturally since we are growing so quickly, changes are constantly happening. One would have to be easily roll with the punches and adapt to stay on top of our evolving company and industry! Not a con for me but can be for some.

Management is pretty on par. Exec team has strong, smart, even genius leadership, who also know how to have fun.

Constantly learning in an ever-evolving industry

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people, technology and culture! Its an exciting industry to be part of, theres a constant buzz and the people are great. Excellent benefits and there's a clear path to progression.

Cons

As the company expands, there have been some changes including the implementation of new processes. This is expected however and hasn't really caused any issues.

Keep up the great work! As the company grows it will become ever more important to retain the great culture.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I work as a backend programmer for MediaMath London and I have to admit this is probably the best place I've ever worked. Lots of opportunities, very genuine hard working people. All the trappings associates with a tech startup... arcade machines, free food, free beer, LAN parties etc.

I've also found that in the last year I've been really encouraged to adopt new technologies (new for me) such as GO programming.

Cons

Hmmm... I've put on a lot of weight since joining :)

Keep it up!

Best place I've worked in over a decade.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have to say my experience at MediaMath is a bright spot in my many years of working in corporate America. I've worked for companies of all sizes and industries. MediaMath is a standout. It's the second best job I've ever has and is a contender to be number one. What makes MediaMath great is simple—it starts at the top. MediaMath's Executive team is top notch. Not only are they fantastic leaders and thinkers, they are most importantly decent people. This sense of intellectual excellence, coupled with a sincere interest in helping everyone grow and get better makes an amazing environment.

Cons

There's not a lot of downside to MediaMath. All companies suffer growing pains. MediaMath has grown exponentially over the last three years. The associated hiccups are noting compared to the upside of the company growth and the exciting atmosphere.

Keep the bar high and keep moving it higher. Great people together accomplish great things.