Medical Services of America

Updated 13 October 2014
Updated 13 October 2014
1.9

Ronnie L. Young

Needlessly stressful and descriminatory working conditions with high turn-over.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Chesapeake, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Chesapeake, VA (US)

I worked at Medical Services of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Medi Home Care- Good Regional Manager
    Semi-flexible work hours
    Understanding Regional when life situations occur.
    Patients come first. Often times providing free supplies when indigent are unable to afford care or supplies.

Cons

High workplace turnover of staff.
    No raises during my 3 yrs of employment
    Office manager treats staff like dirt
    Minority descrimination
    Patients are generally presumed to be right and staff are in the wrong when rare pt. complaints are made.

Deal immediately with staff complaints.
    Enforce and adhere to non-denominational policy.
    Reward your employees with raises to reinforce good performance and reduce turnover.

"Low Pay, Low Standards, No Management, High Turnover

Former Employee - Delivery Technician in Beckley, WV (US)
    Former Employee - Delivery Technician in Beckley, WV (US)

I worked at Medical Services of America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy to get hired
    Nobody knows whats going on so you can waste a lot of time
    Some friendly people
    No management to watch what your doing

Cons

Everybody is depressed, high drug use among employees, low pay, no raises, company has terrible reputation, biggest rumor mill I have ever worked for, cut throat environment.
    Try real hard and you get no recognition, over half the people I worked with were on written notice because you get not direction or training but get blamed for every mistake.
    Company is on the way out because they can't compete or keep good people. Management knows it but there trying to milk it for it's last nickel. It was sad to see people come in with high expectations and happy to have a job only to see them dejected and giving up a month later.

Someone needs to take control. Quit promoting people to management positions who have no business background just because they happen to be in the right place at the right time. Stop hiring Account Executives who have no experience just because there cute. Form a plan, set goals and reward people for their efforts and they will stay and work hard. Stop selling things for less than you pay for them and you may have a chance.

my worst job experience

Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Manassas, VA (US)
    Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Manassas, VA (US)

I worked at Medical Services of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is always another job opening within the company and there is always plenty of work to do.

Cons

Pay rates and benefits are average at best. Huge amount of nurse turn-over makes doing your job that much more difficult. My supervisors had no respect for work life balance.

Nurse retention saves the company money and gives the patient better care. Good employees should be rewarded not burdened.

Disorganized management with no regard for their employees.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, SC (US)

I worked at Medical Services of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Patient care is worthwhile and rewarding.

Cons

The amount of computer documentation was unmanageable and required many more hours than I was paid for. No work life balance. Staff was switched from one job to another frequently, so things were often handled poorly.

Mgmt CANNOT be trusted! They DO NOT value loyalty or dedication to patients when personal emergencies occur.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Beaufort, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Beaufort, SC (US)

I have been working at Medical Services of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with patients and their families is incredibly rewarding.

Cons

Low mileage reimbursements; ENDLESS documentation and entered over and over on different forms; mgr. smiles to your face and stabs you in the back; documentation changed by mgmt to strengthen her position; company is CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP! Do not expect to ever get raise; never happens. Unrealistic expectations.

Get someone in charge who appreciates people who do tough job; look at retention rates and get a clue that something is wrong when this many really great people leave MSA, but stay in same field so it is NOT burnout with job but with mgmt, politics, no fairness, horrible expectations, leader who is hypocritical.

"Family" owned...not family friendly

I worked at Medical Services of America

Pros

The people you work with and helping the patients.

Cons

The cons are abundant. I've never seen anything like this. Unqualified individuals who know nothing about patient care running this facility. They only have their jobs bc they are in some way related to or are friends with the owner or his family. They fire or lay off people that need their job only to put the company in panic mode bc there are not enough people to do the jobs. They hire temps at a very low rate so they don't have to provide benefits or holidays. Salary increases are always on freeze. Continously, actively and knowingly participate in fraudulent activity.

Get your degree in health care management before you try to run a dme company. Treat your employees with respect and not as if they are disposable.

Disorganized management, minimal direction or resources for sales staff.

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Medical Services of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The regional sales manager RARELY made an office visit, so micromanagement was minimal. My location manager handled the office operations and my job was to generate referrals. We got along great and worked together to keep our office in business.

Cons

Serious lack of resources for sales reps. We had monthly meetings but I had to make a ridiculously long drive every month to the corporate office for a meeting that provided little value as far as increasing sales and developing selling skills. As a rep, I had to make my own sales materials. Literally, copying and pasting our company logo and local office information to printouts from our vendor's websites. Due to the competitive bidding process, the company has been in the process of restructuring, and many people lost their jobs. I was told that I would be able to move to another local office and keep my job, only to find out later in a voicemail that this may not be the case. My regional sales manager jumped ship just before the switch was supposed to occur. The new regional manager never reached out, so I emailed him to discuss the move to the new location. He told me in an email that everyone in our office, including me, was being "severanced". Yes, he made that word up. I had never even met this man and he did not even have the professional courtesy to pick up the phone to let me know. DO NOT take a sales job with this company. If you can help it, DO NOT take any job with this company. Management is in complete disarray and nobody knows who to report to. If you are desperate, make sure you negotiate a higher salary before you go on board, or don't expect a raise. There were some quarters where sales commissions simply weren't paid. I was lucky enough to get out with a severance package, but many of the employees at the corporate office were brought into their manager's office and told they were being fired for breaking some rule. There were specific instances when these rules were made up just to have an excuse to fire the employee, as the employee had no idea that the rule or guideline existed or had been changed.

Get your act together and be more transparent with your employees. Establish goals as a team with your employees and work together to achieve them. Provide them with the resources to get the job done instead of scaling back and expecting them to provide results. It takes money to make money.

Complete Disorganization

Former Employee - Account Executive in Fort Myers, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Fort Myers, FL (US)

I worked at Medical Services of America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Other coworkers
    Days and hours of operations
    Office new and modern

Cons

Management
    Communication
    Expectations and quotas for medicare only referrals are unrealistic!
    Endless paperwork, profiles-logs- mapquesting for mileage daily
    No full time RNs for field work/case managers - NO OT

Company should evaluate their managers!! Poor communication with management and workers.
    Several issues should have been handled at branch adminstration level and never were resulting in decrease numbers of referrals. Blame squarely placed on employees (unfairly) for not meeting quotas.

Home health field nurse

I have been working at Medical Services of America

Pros

Flexible schedule, good work load, ethical, centrally located, well supplied , is a good place to start out in home health work

Cons

Do not value employees, no incentives, or positive feedback on performance, punitive management, no in services to keep employees up on changes

Better performance reviews, human resource managers

Office Manager

Former Employee - Office Manager
    Former Employee - Office Manager

I worked at Medical Services of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Great training will be provided for the position you are hired for.

Cons

Low Morale, Retention is very high.

Require management employees to have more education for their position.