Medical Services of America

Updated Apr 03, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ronnie L. Young

Disorganized management, minimal direction or resources for sales staff.

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Medical Services of America full-time for more than a year

ProsThe regional sales manager RARELY made an office visit, so micromanagement was minimal. My location manager handled the office operations and my job was to generate referrals. We got along great and worked together to keep our office in business.

ConsSerious lack of resources for sales reps. We had monthly meetings but I had to make a ridiculously long drive every month to the corporate office for a meeting that provided little value as far as increasing sales and developing selling skills. As a rep, I had to make my own sales materials. Literally, copying and pasting our company logo and local office information to printouts from our vendor's websites. Due to the competitive bidding process, the company has been in the process of restructuring, and many people lost their jobs. I was told that I would be able to move to another local office and keep my job, only to find out later in a voicemail that this may not be the case. My regional sales manager jumped ship just before the switch was supposed to occur. The new regional manager never reached out, so I emailed him to discuss the move to the new location. He told me in an email that everyone in our office, including me, was being "severanced". Yes, he made that word up. I had never even met this man and he did not even have the professional courtesy to pick up the phone to let me know. DO NOT take a sales job with this company. If you can help it, DO NOT take any job with this company. Management is in complete disarray and nobody knows who to report to. If you are desperate, make sure you negotiate a higher salary before you go on board, or don't expect a raise. There were some quarters where sales commissions simply weren't paid. I was lucky enough to get out with a severance package, but many of the employees at the corporate office were brought into their manager's office and told they were being fired for breaking some rule. There were specific instances when these rules were made up just to have an excuse to fire the employee, as the employee had no idea that the rule or guideline existed or had been changed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together and be more transparent with your employees. Establish goals as a team with your employees and work together to achieve them. Provide them with the resources to get the job done instead of scaling back and expecting them to provide results. It takes money to make money.

Of all the companies for which I have worked, of which there are many, this one is the poorest managed.

Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Medical Services of America full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are some good people in the branches but corporate doesn't even know about them.

ConsThere is NO communication, employees are treated as non-entities up and down the line. The management starting at the corporate level and going down the line is very poor generally. Cronyism is in full control.

Advice to Senior ManagementEither get someone who knows what they are doing to be the top-dog or sell the company.

Home health field nurse

I have been working at Medical Services of America

ProsFlexible schedule, good work load, ethical, centrally located, well supplied , is a good place to start out in home health work

ConsDo not value employees, no incentives, or positive feedback on performance, punitive management, no in services to keep employees up on changes

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter performance reviews, human resource managers

Office Manager

Office Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Medical Services of America full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat Benefits, Great training will be provided for the position you are hired for.

ConsLow Morale, Retention is very high.

Advice to Senior ManagementRequire management employees to have more education for their position.

I like working for the company

I have been working at Medical Services of America full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat independence and communication. Board has employees best interest in mind.

ConsLimited travel budget. Benefits not the greatest

Advice to Senior ManagementCompare to other agencies and be more in the market.

Broken chain of communication

Winter Park, FL (US)

I worked at Medical Services of America full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe branch that I worked at was blessed to have some of the greatest, goal driven, motivated individuals anyone can ask to find.

ConsNo privacy, no anonymity, cannot in good faith try to share/ discuss /resolve any issues within the branches or corporate office.. because they allowed too much trust in their top dog the administrator and or DOPS

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the overall picture.. retention is vital and important, word of mouth is important too many changes to soon without plans to back up the changes only hurts those most loyal and trust worthy... the board of directors has no real clue as to what's going on in the branches.. You have key individuals with their own agendas and selfish schemes doing what is best for them and not the company nor the employees.

There is no communication with the staff.. town hall meetings don't exist with upper management that provide a neutral work environment. Administrators are allowed to bring onboard friends and former colleagues and provide the references needed for them without corp HR doing their due diligence and investigating the information as they do for the little guys.

Salaries are inflated for friends, and the over all business is being falsely represented to the board and upper management by the very people entrusted to be honest, responsible and respectful.

former employee

I worked at Medical Services of America full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWas a great learning experience.

ConsThey do not value their employees.

Nice work enviroment but communication weak.

File Clerk (Current Employee)

ProsGood benefits, friendly coworkers, not bad hours

Conspoor communication between staff and regional office, salary vs hourly staff expectations

Advice to Senior ManagementHourly and casual status staff are expected to work and put forth extra effort when salary staff do not have to. Salary staff should be expected to put forth more!

Great opportunity with a lot of learning experience.

I have been working at Medical Services of America full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFreedom, stability and pride in a independant company.

ConsFinancial restrictions in marketing, supplies and salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication.

Stay away if you want to make money!!

I worked at Medical Services of America full-time

ProsManagers are hands off and free blackberry

ConsNo support for sales and comission plan is awful.
Only have a $100 for lunches...

Advice to Senior ManagementHave center managers that actually know how to sell...

Worked for Medical Services of America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Medical Services of America reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Medical Services of America CEO Ronnie L. Young. All 17 reviews are posted anonymously by Medical Services of America employees.