Medical Services of America

1.9

Ronnie L. Young

good and bad

I have been working at Medical Services of America full-time

Pros

Patients, Independence.Good relationships with coworkers

Cons

Low pay, Last minute changes to schedule. No continuing education pay or student loan pay. Hard to get supplies.

Make decisions and stick to it. Back up your employees. Don't reword things to say what people want to hear and don't talk about possibilities in the future. Wait until advancement, raises,promotions are current then talk about it. Get more supplies.

Happy with company.

Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Fort Myers, FL (US)
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Fort Myers, FL (US)

I have been working at Medical Services of America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Computer documentation & computer provided with pId training.

Cons

Not enough staff to cover farther counties

Offer education reimbursement

The worse experience of a 30 year career.

Current Employee - Case Manager in Camden, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Camden, SC (US)

Pros

Patients and co workers wonderful.

Cons

No discussion between management and nurses. Poor pay. Belligerent CEO. She would actually call and curse at you over the phone.

Classes. Independent contractor to make adjustments in environment.

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Medical Services of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved the job itself and the patient/doctor contact. Felt good to know you were making a difference for someone that needed your services. Some good people that want to see the company succeed

Cons

Probably the most unprofessional company I've ever worked for. Lost 4 Account Executives in the same region within 3 months....we all left for the same reasons.....very poor management , profit came above patient care, poor wages, always wondering if your job was secure as you were threatened with getting Medicare referrals, , and a manager not from the local area, that had not a clue what went on but acted as if she knew it all....very poor listening skills. You don't manage by threatening but this was protocol. Manager would try to evaluate you without ever working out in the field with you. They hire people before they check out their backgrounds - some seriously mental employees that did nothing but gossip, took drugs, and lied about their credentials and past employers. Even though management found out and terminated this employee before their 90 days were up it was a disgrace to the company name. So much damage control had to be done due to this person being out in the field ...even had to get police involved! Our location lost a RT that had been there a very long time and they acted as if it was no big deal. The turnover is unbelievable and has been that way for years. There is NO training and you better be prepared to spend your own money for expenses and then wait over 2 months to be reimbursed! And if you think you will get commission...think again. Once you hand in a referral for DME it is out of your hands. If all paperwork isn't completed within 90 days you're out of luck.....and you have NO control of it. Lost an exclusive referral source due to no clinical coverage, so no matter how hard you work to achieve success there is no guarantee of follow through on MSA part. The company is a joke out in the community....it's reputation has been bad for so many years.

Wake up and put the proper people in the proper positions. You can't run two locations with one manager. The company could be such a great company if you would clean house and really hire people that know what they are doing. Understand that small towns support local businesses....if you don't have a HH office local you're not going to get HH referrals. Stop overloading employees with so many areas as they can't concentrate and do well in any one. Value good employees and don't be afraid that they may call you out as they see right through you. You pay for what you get........and stop weekly conference calls that no one wants to be on.....it's a complete waste of time and a " toot your horn" avenue for some people.....get in the field and work. And you better keep your eyes on some of the people in the field as they spend more time at home than they do working....make them accountable....get laptop computers that referral sources have to sign. The turnover is killing your credibility! And has apparently for years. You need to realize this in order to really succeed. And stop lying to employees just to keep them quiet. Your good employees aren't dumb.....they see right though you.

Needlessly stressful and descriminatory working conditions with high turn-over.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Chesapeake, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Chesapeake, VA (US)

I worked at Medical Services of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Medi Home Care- Good Regional Manager
    Semi-flexible work hours
    Understanding Regional when life situations occur.
    Patients come first. Often times providing free supplies when indigent are unable to afford care or supplies.

Cons

High workplace turnover of staff.
    No raises during my 3 yrs of employment
    Office manager treats staff like dirt
    Minority descrimination
    Patients are generally presumed to be right and staff are in the wrong when rare pt. complaints are made.

Deal immediately with staff complaints.
    Enforce and adhere to non-denominational policy.
    Reward your employees with raises to reinforce good performance and reduce turnover.

"Low Pay, Low Standards, No Management, High Turnover

Former Employee - Delivery Technician in Beckley, WV (US)
    Former Employee - Delivery Technician in Beckley, WV (US)

I worked at Medical Services of America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy to get hired
    Nobody knows whats going on so you can waste a lot of time
    Some friendly people
    No management to watch what your doing

Cons

Everybody is depressed, high drug use among employees, low pay, no raises, company has terrible reputation, biggest rumor mill I have ever worked for, cut throat environment.
    Try real hard and you get no recognition, over half the people I worked with were on written notice because you get not direction or training but get blamed for every mistake.
    Company is on the way out because they can't compete or keep good people. Management knows it but there trying to milk it for it's last nickel. It was sad to see people come in with high expectations and happy to have a job only to see them dejected and giving up a month later.

Someone needs to take control. Quit promoting people to management positions who have no business background just because they happen to be in the right place at the right time. Stop hiring Account Executives who have no experience just because there cute. Form a plan, set goals and reward people for their efforts and they will stay and work hard. Stop selling things for less than you pay for them and you may have a chance.

my worst job experience

Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Manassas, VA (US)
    Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Manassas, VA (US)

I worked at Medical Services of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is always another job opening within the company and there is always plenty of work to do.

Cons

Pay rates and benefits are average at best. Huge amount of nurse turn-over makes doing your job that much more difficult. My supervisors had no respect for work life balance.

Nurse retention saves the company money and gives the patient better care. Good employees should be rewarded not burdened.

Disorganized management with no regard for their employees.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, SC (US)

I worked at Medical Services of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Patient care is worthwhile and rewarding.

Cons

The amount of computer documentation was unmanageable and required many more hours than I was paid for. No work life balance. Staff was switched from one job to another frequently, so things were often handled poorly.

Mgmt CANNOT be trusted! They DO NOT value loyalty or dedication to patients when personal emergencies occur.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Beaufort, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Beaufort, SC (US)

I have been working at Medical Services of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with patients and their families is incredibly rewarding.

Cons

Low mileage reimbursements; ENDLESS documentation and entered over and over on different forms; mgr. smiles to your face and stabs you in the back; documentation changed by mgmt to strengthen her position; company is CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP! Do not expect to ever get raise; never happens. Unrealistic expectations.

Get someone in charge who appreciates people who do tough job; look at retention rates and get a clue that something is wrong when this many really great people leave MSA, but stay in same field so it is NOT burnout with job but with mgmt, politics, no fairness, horrible expectations, leader who is hypocritical.

Disorganized management, minimal direction or resources for sales staff.

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Medical Services of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The regional sales manager RARELY made an office visit, so micromanagement was minimal. My location manager handled the office operations and my job was to generate referrals. We got along great and worked together to keep our office in business.

Cons

Serious lack of resources for sales reps. We had monthly meetings but I had to make a ridiculously long drive every month to the corporate office for a meeting that provided little value as far as increasing sales and developing selling skills. As a rep, I had to make my own sales materials. Literally, copying and pasting our company logo and local office information to printouts from our vendor's websites. Due to the competitive bidding process, the company has been in the process of restructuring, and many people lost their jobs. I was told that I would be able to move to another local office and keep my job, only to find out later in a voicemail that this may not be the case. My regional sales manager jumped ship just before the switch was supposed to occur. The new regional manager never reached out, so I emailed him to discuss the move to the new location. He told me in an email that everyone in our office, including me, was being "severanced". Yes, he made that word up. I had never even met this man and he did not even have the professional courtesy to pick up the phone to let me know. DO NOT take a sales job with this company. If you can help it, DO NOT take any job with this company. Management is in complete disarray and nobody knows who to report to. If you are desperate, make sure you negotiate a higher salary before you go on board, or don't expect a raise. There were some quarters where sales commissions simply weren't paid. I was lucky enough to get out with a severance package, but many of the employees at the corporate office were brought into their manager's office and told they were being fired for breaking some rule. There were specific instances when these rules were made up just to have an excuse to fire the employee, as the employee had no idea that the rule or guideline existed or had been changed.

Get your act together and be more transparent with your employees. Establish goals as a team with your employees and work together to achieve them. Provide them with the resources to get the job done instead of scaling back and expecting them to provide results. It takes money to make money.